Coronavirus

Reacher

27 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Again, since you are slow - I vote with my wallet on animal testing. I do not purchase goods or services from Dr. Fauci or the NIH. And I cannot control whether or not he is fired either. 

We have both had our say and it has gotten nowhere so I suggest that we should move on from this conversation since the Mods are probably not happy with it. We can communicate about the thread topic but this is the last i will respond to you on this. 

Edited by Hoosier51

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Did you watch that clip? 

Question: Many people are worried about Coronavirus, should they be? 

Answer: I don't think people should be frightened. The risk right now, today, currently, is relatively low for the American public, but that could change because what's going on outside of the US, particularly in China and other countries in which there are travel related cases - that this could evolve into a global pandemic. And that would have significant implications for us. So, although we don't want people to be worried now I think we need to realize that this could change.........

and then he goes into masks where he specifically says they're "meant more for people who are infected, to prevent them from infecting someone else". This was the rational behind masks guidelines because a lot of the spread was happening from asymptomatic people (a pesky fact that was not yet known at the time of this interview). Nobody ever said masks were bullet proof (and they don't now); they were and still are a mitigating factor. Any degree of mitigation is helpful when preventing an exponential spread of a virus. 

Recommendations can change when information evolves. I'm more concerned about leaders ignoring the evolved information to push a knowingly false message that's politically beneficial for them. i.e. "COVID will go away in the summer." .....and repeat this false message on a loop when virtually all legitimate scientists or doctors don't agree with them. This virus was purposely undermined from the very beginning - as a result it contributed to the divide we are seeing now. 

I posted it...so yes I watched it. There was a lot of conflicting information and this was just one clip out of dozens and dozens that first came out at the beginning where he contradicted himself not just in the statement but later on. I'm not going to go back through and post all of them. The point being it is easy for the American public to be confused and to have mistrust when those considered to be in charge give conflicting and confusing answers. It isn't just him it was people from the CDC, FDA, Surgeon General, Trump, Biden, Harris the list goes on and on. It's been mishandled by just about everyone involved in government and very much politicized by everyone involved in government for their own purposes. I'm not just singling out Fauci...but he has flip flopped his positions several times and admitted that he was also try to downplay the virus to prevent panic buying etc with the people. There are no virtuous people leading this cause...and the messaging has been bungled from the start...and hasn't gotten any better under a new administration. Thus the distrust and displeasure from so many people on both sides of this. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I posted it...so yes I watched it. There was a lot of conflicting information and this was just one clip out of dozens and dozens that first came out at the beginning where he contradicted himself not just in the statement but later on. I'm not going to go back through and post all of them. The point being it is easy for the American public to be confused and to have mistrust when those considered to be in charge give conflicting and confusing answers. It isn't just him it was people from the CDC, FDA, Surgeon General, Trump, Biden, Harris the list goes on and on. It's been mishandled by just about everyone involved in government and very much politicized by everyone involved in government for their own purposes. I'm not just singling out Fauci...but he has flip flopped his positions several times and admitted that he was also try to downplay the virus to prevent panic buying etc with the people. There are no virtuous people leading this cause...and the messaging has been bungled from the start...and hasn't gotten any better under a new administration. Thus the distrust and displeasure from so many people on both sides of this. 

Yes, there has been conflicting info on many sides. But some bouts of wrong info was purposely misleading, while some was the result of dealing with a new, unpredictable and constantly evolving pandemic. One is forgivable and one isn't. Acting like they are equal is a false equivalency. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yes, there has been conflicting info on many sides. But some bouts of wrong info was purposely misleading, while some was the result of dealing with a new, unpredictable and constantly evolving pandemic. One is forgivable and one isn't. Acting like they are equal is a false equivalency. 

We can agree on that! Although I imagine many people will disagree about which ones have been purposely misleading and which was not. It's all good. 

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This needs to be a sticky on the post game threads 😂

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

During the games also lol.

I rarely ever post during the game threads, but it is sure entertaining to go back and read them after the fact and laugh at all the silly stuff posted in the heat of the battle.  Some of you are way more entertaining than you intend to be.

• Haha 4

I originally received the J&J vaccine back in March, so, since I was eligible, I went to CVS this morning and got a booster of Moderna.  Mentally, I am now in a much better place headed into the winter months. 

We're mistaken if we think this current spike, which is receding in most places, is the last one.

• Like 3

I believe we previously discussed getting an ambulance crew that wasn't vaccinated. I'd say that was better than getting no ambulance crew at all- https://nypost.com/2021/10/30/fdny-firehouses-shuttered-over-vaccine-staffing-shortages/.

In Chicago, ambulances are CFD paramedics. Not sure if NY does it that way as well. And, most of the first responders were exposed early on and have natural immunity. Personally, I don't see the need  for those with natural immunity to be vaccinated - or fired. It is not just firefighters in NY, it is other professions in other states too. States are playing a costly game and now it is almost inevitable, lives and property will be lost as a result.

It looks like American airlines is now dealing with their staffing issues as over 1000 flights have been canceled these last few days.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How long will this take to jump to the supreme court?

I believe the Supreme Court already refused to get involved in one case. I'm sure there will be more. Many more. One court sided with the policeman against the City of Chicago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'll put money on this....NY will fold over losing garbage men before they do over losing cops. When the trash starts backing up in the streets etc...citizens will protest and they will give in. The so called "avg joes" have much more power if they organize and stick together then President Joe and those in authority. How many times have we seen teachers unions go on strike leaving schools closed in these major cities like Chicago etc and then they get what they want in their negotiations...it behooves those in authority to check themselves before they let the power go to their head with these mandates.

Edit....although I could be wrong...seeing what has been happening over the years in San Francisco...some people are willing to just step over and around a problem and ignore it....so I could be wrong...but I still think people need to stand up for what they believe in because power unchecked is very dangerous...no matter who is wielding it.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I believe the Supreme Court already refused to get involved in one case. I'm sure there will be more. Many more. One court sided with the policeman against the City of Chicago.

I think the Supreme Court will side with vaccine mandates on two fronts...states involving medical/healthcare providers and unfortunately I think they will side for schools/children because of what we've seen in the past in those two particular cases and prescedent set before with vaccinations. However, when it comes to other occupations I think they might force states to put in place medical and religious exemptions....because I think the states will be hard pressed to show the medical necessity for these workers to be forced to be vaxed. So partial wins on both sides and not setting any true future prescedent. I think it would be hard proof the risk that a garbage man or park ranger or police officer etc poses to the public especially given the nature of their jobs and the fact they can be asked to use protective equipment. Just my thought though...who knows how they rule on these things.

Edited by dgambill

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'll put money on this....NY will fold over losing garbage men before they do over losing cops. When the trash starts backing up in the streets etc...citizens will protest and they will give in. The so called "avg joes" have much more power if they organize and stick together then President Joe and those in authority. How many times have we seen teachers unions go on strike leaving schools closed in these major cities like Chicago etc and then they get what they want in their negotiations...it behooves those in authority to check themselves before they let the power go to their head with these mandates.

Edit....although I could be wrong...seeing what has been happening over the years in San Francisco...some people are willing to just step over and around a problem and ignore it....so I could be wrong...but I still think people need to stand up for what they believe in because power unchecked is very dangerous...no matter who is wielding it.

You are right that no one here will shed a tear over losing some NYPD. But we are also used to navigating mountains of garbage that would terrify most people. We’ve been through sanitation strikes before and will weather them again. 

It’s funny that the “mighty NYPD” (all 35,000 strong) were whining about the mandate and thousands said they would refuse the shot. They buckled - only 34 of them ended up being placed on leave. Not much power there apparently. I’m sure they realized they wouldn’t get that pay and fat pension elsewhere for sitting in their cars staring at their phones all day. 

Just now, Lostin76 said:

You are right that no one here will shed a tear over losing some NYPD. But we are also used to navigating mountains of garbage that would terrify most people. We’ve been through sanitation strikes before and will weather them again. 

It’s funny that the “mighty NYPD” (all 35,000 strong) were whining about the mandate and thousands said they would refuse the shot. They buckled - only 34 of them ended up being placed on leave. Not much power there apparently. I’m sure they realized they wouldn’t get that pay and fat pension elsewhere for sitting in their cars staring at their phones all day. 

I'm sure most thought the city would cave or a court order would protect them like with the Chicago FOP. Desantis is pushing to offer $5000 sign on bonuses for police that relocate to Florida. Of course that isn't going to come close to covering relocation costs but well we've seen a ton of people move into the state the past two years so I'm sure some people will take them up on it. Have to say it's been rough sledding but Florida has come out of this pandemic in great financial shape....adding over $6 billion to their rainy day fund while increasing spending on bipartisan proposals across the board. https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/04/30/florida-lawmakers-pass-record-1015-billion-budget/

I'm very happy with how we tightened our belts during the pandemic but also kept Florida open saving jobs and billions of dollars in lost revenue had we boarded up. We had faced some tough decisions and of course the pandemic took a lot of lives considering Florida was one of the most vulnerable states given avg age etc but in the end while many states closed we didn't...and while I wish more at risk would have gotten vaccinated outcomes haven't been a whole lot worse compared to states that did close up shop. Infection rates and deaths have steadily gone down and thankfully recoveries and outcomes have gotten better as more people have gotten vaccinated and the antibody treatments have really helped. I know I may sound anti-vax based on my posts but I'm really just anti-mandate...still the best option for most people who haven't already faced covid already or who are very young and low risk (school age). I think the vaccines will help a lot up North as they shelter through the winter/flu season....I expect a spike but nowhere near what it was last year baring a major new variant. With the weather really taking a turn for the better down here people are back out getting exercise, distancing, eating outside, getting Vitamin D...Halloween weekend was gloriously perfect!

• Like 3