Coronavirus

Reacher

4 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Africa is a pretty dangerous place to live...  venomous, lions, weather, crazy lethal diseases, war.  

Being in the snake business,   I have close friends all over the world, multiple in Africa.  My buddy Warwick is a professor at a university.  He has had his shot, but he said the vast majority have not and covid hasn't been much of an issue at all. They pop malaria pills like candy,  im not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I am thankful people have the option to get the shot if they want it. I think the pills will be far more affective in getting things back to semi normal. 

Hydroxychloroquine....yeah. They eat it like candy as you say...and people act like anyone using it or ivermectin are all going to die lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Please be careful here. As RTZ asks, is the story fake? Just because someone puts a label on a site, that does not mean the underlying story reflects that same label. I have seen this a lot in this thread where the messenger somehow tarnishes the message. 

Maybe next time say " I don't know how true this story is, but this website labels the source as propaganda" so people can make up their own minds or check into it further.

The way you phrase it implies suspicion of the article. I'd rather people focus the on the content and not the source as every source is going to have some bias. We have seen way too many articles / opinions labeled as wrong by some very big organizations ( NYT, CNN, Politifact, etc) only to see them later retract their stories and / or be proven wrong. I think it is great people are bringing info here to discuss and / or inform. No doubt it is not going to accurate at the time. Let's keep the free flow of info coming.

• Thanks 1

First, I had a screenshot of a tweet, not anything more - so I wasn't able to watch the video until it was posted here.  The language seemed quite editorialized ("hauled off"), so I did some research on the source, and found that many consider it a rather dubious source.  That's when I posted the link.

People can absolutely keep the free information flowing!  I've been relatively consistent in saying we should do that.  I will also, though, continue to point out when some of those sources have a proven track record of misinformation.  This was one of those sources.  I would disagree pretty strongly that "the messenger shouldn't tarnish the message."  Credibility matters, and in my view (and only mine), that website has very little.

I don't post to try and convince others to think like me.  I post to contribute to the discussion.  I fully expect folks won't agree when I say one of their sources has a track record of posting misinformation, and that's totally fine.  For me, though, to let the post come and go without letting unknowing passers by that there are legitimate attacks against that source's credibility seems unwise.

I tried to do some more researching into what exactly the ADF is going in the situation referenced by the video.  I couldn't really find too much more, so I can't say.  It seems like they're definitely enforcing a lockdown and assisting police, much like the National Guard here frequently does.  I don't know enough about Australia's policies for treating COVID patients.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Local people with covid and those contact traced to them are going there. The army is literally pulling people from their homes. Kids are being arrested for not wearing a mask. you wouldn't think these sort of things could happen in a modern society. If it can happen there, it could happen here.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

that's the same video as above..? 

Its not the same video I posted and I'm not sure if it was referenced in your link but my point was the twitter commentary "AUSTRALIA - The army is now transferring positive Covid cases and contacts in the Northern Territories to ‘Quarantine Camps’ by army truck."  I have no idea who the twitter person or how credible they are but have been seeing similar stuff for awhile. 

Basically, there are reports that the quarantine camps are for citizens and not travelers. Could the MSM be trying to spin it as for travelers? That fits their pro vaccine MO . I'm sure we will know much more in the coming months but I think people should be aware of what is happening elsewhere 

It's the same video RTZ posted, I think..?  There is some language in the video about the army helping and folks going to centers, but I don't see enough to justify the claims people are making about the army hauling folks away.  To be clear - that might be happening, I have no idea, I just don't see nearly enough from that video to back up that claim.  

It's odd that we are so willing to trust a random twitter account and their interpretation of the news but not the "MSM" - look, you're allowed to think whatever you want, and post it here too, but I wouldn't be shocked when others don't buy in.  And you don't have to buy-in to what I believe!  What a wonderful country we have.

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

It's the same video RTZ posted, I think..?  There is some language in the video about the army helping and folks going to centers, but I don't see enough to justify the claims people are making about the army hauling folks away.  To be clear - that might be happening, I have no idea, I just don't see nearly enough from that video to back up that claim.  

It's odd that we are so willing to trust a random twitter account and their interpretation of the news but not the "MSM" - look, you're allowed to think whatever you want, and post it here too, but I wouldn't be shocked when others don't buy in.  And you don't have to buy-in to what I believe!  What a wonderful country we have.

They have been using the army and police for months now…it’s no secret. 
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/07/30/1022685816/australia-sydney-lockdown-covid-coronavirus-troops

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/14/australia/sydney-covid-restrictions-military-intl-hnk/index.html

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619940/

The reason it’s hard to find this is because if you just simply use google or YouTube etc it scrubs you’re searches but if you use other search engines these stories pop up pretty easily like this one.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/australian-army-hauls-38-citizens-to-quarantine-facility-over-some-positive-covid-tests/

https://dailyexpose.uk/2021/11/22/breaking-australian-army-begins-transferring-contacts-of-covid-19-positive-cases-to-quarantine-camps/

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

I watched the video and read the first few links - I don't see anything about the military hauling people off.  I see police and military enforcing lockdowns, knocking on doors to ensure self-isolation rules are being followed (and issuing fines, it seems, if not..?) but nothing that substantiates the claim that the military is hauling people off.  That may very well be the case, I don't know and I don't live in Australia, but nothing anyone has posted here comes close to convincing me.

And again - you don't have to convince me!  You're entitled to your own views.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I don't trust random twitter accounts. I don't have twitter myself. It was just the first example I found. Like @dgambill, said, this has been going on for awhile. You don't have to look far and hard to find egregious examples of MSM mis reporting, or most often, failing to report on stories. 

Look how ABC reports their own poll and tell me you find it accurate-

https://rifemoneyfever.com/2021/11/22/local-florida-station-claims-large-amount-of-northwest-floridians-oppose-gaetzs-comment-regarding-hiring-rittenhouse-yet-84-agree-with-gaetz-what-gives/

Whether this story is accurate or not is immaterial as, again, it was just the first one that popped up but I would not be exaggerating to say I have seen radical MSM bias 1000+ times. I've been seeing it daily for years. I stopped my Chicago Tribune subscription 20+ years ago when I was tired of seeing their biased front page reporting. 

Why barely a mention of the Waukesha WI killers criminal past, or the felony pasts of of the men Rittenhouse shot in self defense? The MSM doesn't think that should be part of their story? https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/wisconsin-waukesha-christmas-parade-car-plow-11-23-21/index.html I think the fact the guy was released 2 days earlier on a very low bail for hitting a woman with his car after being released on a very low bail for another crime earlier in the year is "something you should know". 

I could go on, but I think you see my point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I watched the video and read the first few links - I don't see anything about the military hauling people off.  I see police and military enforcing lockdowns, knocking on doors to ensure self-isolation rules are being followed (and issuing fines, it seems, if not..?) but nothing that substantiates the claim that the military is hauling people off.  That may very well be the case, I don't know and I don't live in Australia, but nothing anyone has posted here comes close to convincing me.

Read the last 2 links-

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/australian-army-hauls-38-citizens-to-quarantine-facility-over-some-positive-covid-tests/'

"The government of Australia’s Northern Territory has ordered the transfer of 38 Australians from a remote Aboriginal town to a quarantine facility. Nine people there had tested positive for COVID-19.

The group of 38, identified by health authorities as either positive cases or “close contacts,” was taken in army trucks to Howard Springs quarantine facility, located at a former mining camp near Darwin in northern Australia.  

“It is highly likely that more residents will be transferred to Howard Springs today either as positive cases or close contacts,” announced Michael Gunner, chief minister of the Northern Territory, at a press conference Sunday.  "

9 people test positive and 38 get taken from their homes with more expected to be taken?

It is not just an Australia thing. We have seen our elderly locked in Nursing Homes where even family could not visit healthy, non Covid, individuals. Various mayors and governors are calling for lockdowns and I believe some would love to have quarantine camps here. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Read the last 2 links-

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/australian-army-hauls-38-citizens-to-quarantine-facility-over-some-positive-covid-tests/'

"The government of Australia’s Northern Territory has ordered the transfer of 38 Australians from a remote Aboriginal town to a quarantine facility. Nine people there had tested positive for COVID-19.

The group of 38, identified by health authorities as either positive cases or “close contacts,” was taken in army trucks to Howard Springs quarantine facility, located at a former mining camp near Darwin in northern Australia.  

“It is highly likely that more residents will be transferred to Howard Springs today either as positive cases or close contacts,” announced Michael Gunner, chief minister of the Northern Territory, at a press conference Sunday.  "

9 people test positive and 38 get taken from their homes with more expected to be taken?

It is not just an Australia thing. We have seen our elderly locked in Nursing Homes where even family could not visit healthy, non Covid, individuals. Various mayors and governors are calling for lockdowns and I believe some would love to have quarantine camps here. 

I would hope they wouldn't try that here. Come and try to take me or my wife out of our house to a quarantine camp and see what happens. I advise against it.

• Thanks 1

The lockdowns that we had were a disaster for poor people. Amazon, Wal-Mart, the big box hardware stores, and the people invested in them flourished. People in the service industry, who often worked more than one job, saw their livelihood disappear. Add in the "us and them" mentality that permeates our society today and you have a confrontational, toxic environment. I haven't seen this country so divided along ideological lines since the Vietnam war. I watch physicist Brian Cox quite often. Brilliant man who frequently ends a talk about an issue with "of course I could be wrong". If we could recognize that we could be wrong, at least partiall in our opinions, maybe we could find common ground and better solutions more often. Convincing people to take an action is always better than forcing them.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Sorry. I wasn't trying to point all that specifically at you. You have done a wonderful job trying to mediate this very possibly volatile and every changing thread. I agree we should read almost everything with a good deal of caution.

It has proven very difficult to find information because I don't know if you are aware but many of the major search engines and media companies like youtube/google etc push down search results and actually take down content that might not fit a certain agenda. I can type something into google and get no results even close to what I'm looking for but type the same thing into another search engine and up pops tons of relevant content.....same with youtube. I can search for a video and can't find it but then I'll search through a website and find the video....and it's on youtube...but the the youtube search function won't pull it...you have to click the direct link from the website. It's a lot of work and very concerning all the same. Sometimes, I think people have to go to using some less well known media outlets/reports is because they are the only ones left that are still hosting this information or reporting on these things.

I apologize I'm not trying to overwhelm people with tons of news stories. The first stories were all from "mainstream" media that have reported on how Australia has been using their troops to help crack down on their lockdowns and enforce quarantines....the last two articles were lesser media outlets that simply reported the news...and yes they did use troops and military vehicles to go in and round them up and take them to quarantine facilities. The police have regularly performed raids in Australia and people even had to download an app and take a picture within 15 minutes of notification to prove they were at where they said they were at during these lockdowns or have the authorities come. They've been using drones to monitor their citizens and the list goes on. This is Australia not the US...but Australia has long been seen as one of the freer countries in the world. There is certainly a debate that can be had over which is the correct course of action to prevent the spread of Covid and if these governmental policies are appropriate/legal/and in alignment of the values of a free society. I think the point is that this is very much going on in many places in the world and I think people here have questions if those policies will be brought here given the recent push for mandates, vaccine passports, etc. I do think we are in a dangerous media culture right now where we have hyper sensationalized article headers and click bait articles and certainly people on all sides of all sorts of issues pushing an agenda. Sadly there isn't one place you can just go and be assured it's just the plain facts with no spin/slant on the stories. I wish we still had those times...but just like the people in authority in Washington, those in all parts of the media have sold their soul for the almighty $$ and there isn't a whole lot of credibility anywhere. So we as the public just try to piece it all together and make sense from all different sides/places.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sorry. I wasn't trying to point all that specifically at you. You have done a wonderful job trying to mediate this very possibly volatile and every changing thread. I agree we should read almost everything with a good deal of caution.

It has proven very difficult to find information because I don't know if you are aware but many of the major search engines and media companies like youtube/google etc push down search results and actually take down content that might not fit a certain agenda. I can type something into google and get no results even close to what I'm looking for but type the same thing into another search engine and up pops tons of relevant content.....same with youtube. I can search for a video and can't find it but then I'll search through a website and find the video....and it's on youtube...but the the youtube search function won't pull it...you have to click the direct link from the website. It's a lot of work and very concerning all the same. Sometimes, I think people have to go to using some less well known media outlets/reports is because they are the only ones left that are still hosting this information or reporting on these things.

I apologize I'm not trying to overwhelm people with tons of news stories. The first stories were all from "mainstream" media that have reported on how Australia has been using their troops to help crack down on their lockdowns and enforce quarantines....the last two articles were lesser media outlets that simply reported the news...and yes they did use troops and military vehicles to go in and round them up and take them to quarantine facilities. The police have regularly performed raids in Australia and people even had to download an app and take a picture within 15 minutes of notification to prove they were at where they said they were at during these lockdowns or have the authorities come. They've been using drones to monitor their citizens and the list goes on. This is Australia not the US...but Australia has long been seen as one of the freer countries in the world. There is certainly a debate that can be had over which is the correct course of action to prevent the spread of Covid and if these governmental policies are appropriate/legal/and in alignment of the values of a free society. I think the point is that this is very much going on in many places in the world and I think people here have questions if those policies will be brought here given the recent push for mandates, vaccine passports, etc. I do think we are in a dangerous media culture right now where we have hyper sensationalized article headers and click bait articles and certainly people on all sides of all sorts of issues pushing an agenda. Sadly there isn't one place you can just go and be assured it's just the plain facts with no spin/slant on the stories. I wish we still had those times...but just like the people in authority in Washington, those in all parts of the media have sold their soul for the almighty $$ and there isn't a whole lot of credibility anywhere. So we as the public just try to piece it all together and make sense from all different sides/places.

You have hit on a major problem in our ability to get information. Big tech (YouTube, Google, Facebook, etc.) are trying to control what people are allowed to see, read, and hear. This is the opposite of what is supposed to happen in a free society. YouTube routinely de-platforms contributors or demonetizes them. And, it's not just crackpots that this happens to. Some widely respected people whose opinion differs from what has become the accepted narrative have been targeted as well. Universities have been censoring speakers for some time and now it has filtered down to tech platforms and mainstream media. I want to hear all sides of an argument. I will analyze the information and make my own decision. I don't need anyone to tell me how or what I should think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1