Coronavirus

Reacher

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Every state is different but a term I think people will become very familiar with in coming hours, days, weeks (if you aren't already) is "certificate of need" laws. I'm linking just the wiki page for the basics. People can google their own respective states rules. People are asking why can't we just add more beds to hospitals to fight this virus? The simple answer is in most states (35 I believe) you can't without permission from legislation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_need

Good point. Nothing like barriers of entry to protect the established business and cut down on the benefits of a free market.

• Like 2

China will be feeling the effects of this for a long time.  The US, Europe, India, and more are upset. Whether it the low quality test kits they sent out or a call to hold China accountable- https://southasiamonitor.org/china-watch/international-tribunal-should-judge-china-biological-warfare countries will be reevaluating the benefits of China. I have seen some say they may never recover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand...maybe they could mark off 6 foot sections of the bank...

But a total ban is nuts...

The total ban makes no sense...but I could see the state shutting down fishing at public areas I suppose.  Places like public piers and such.  Hard for them to really impose such a ban on private water/land.

20 minutes ago, Reacher said:

China will be feeling the effects of this for a long time.  The US, Europe, India, and more are upset. Whether it the low quality test kits they sent out or a call to hold China accountable- https://southasiamonitor.org/china-watch/international-tribunal-should-judge-china-biological-warfare countries will be reevaluating the benefits of China. I have seen some say they may never recover.

I have been on the fence about the origin of this but I believe strongly that china developed this in a laboratory, and it either escaped by accident and wasnt meant to be released in china or they intentionally released it and it got out of control. 

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa and I were fishing one night and we both hooked a fish at the same time. Started reeling in and thought we just snagged each other. Turns out we both caught the same fish. Took both of our baits. 

My friend and I were bass fishing one night when I hooked a pretty nice bass. The fish ended up breaking my line. Later on my friend hooked a bass and landed it. We always kept a few fish to eat and that night it was Bill's turn to keep them. The next morning Bill called me and told me the bass he caught had three softcraw, a baby catfish and  the texas rig from me in it's stomach. 

Edited by jefftheref
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Addiction relapses are up...

And I think that's just the tip of the mental health iceberg we're facing...

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of individuals who contract COVID-19 at all, but we'd better balance this out or it'll be worse than having the pandemic run its course unabated...

It's also important to remember that the alternative would also bring depression, drug addiction, etc. There's no way to know exactly how many lives social distancing will ultimately save, but it will be a lot. And losing a loved one also triggers mental health problems. Not to mention the PTSD that is likely to follow for our frontline healthcare workers. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

I'm starting to think the daily pressers are doing more harm than good.  We will likely have a mental health crisis over this and throwing out predictions like the "experts" are, which are just educated guesses anyway, is just scaring people further. 

A weekly press release, or presidential address from the oval office should be enough.

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm starting to think the daily pressers are doing more harm than good.  We will likely have a mental health crisis over this and throwing out predictions like the "experts" are, which are just educated guesses anyway, is just scaring people further. 

A weekly press release, or presidential address from the oval office should be enough.

Personally appreciate the daily  Presidential  press conferences.  I have read on line that some want them to close.  But, I learn a lot.  For instance.  Mike from My Pillow was at the WH for yesterday's PC.  And announced he will be making masks.  Current production is 10,000 per day. And expects to up that to 50,000 per day by week's end. The lady who run Jockey, says they will be making surgical gowns.. distributing them to hospitals.... and has set aside a $10 million dollar fund for any of her employees that need additional monetary help.  This is great stuff to learn. And something I love to learn about.

In the mile household.  My wife is at Costco, as I type this. Needed medication pickup.  Called the order in a couple of days ago. And was told they were opening up the pharmacy two hours early, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for elder citizens.

Americans doing their part.

Stay safe Hoosier Sports Nation.  Prayers going out to you from the mile household.

• Like 4

Subway and Bus Riders Face Crowded Conditions in NYC

Neither my wife or I have had to ride the subway for two weeks now. Every day we tell ourselves out loud how lucky we are to be able to work remotely. So many people still have to report to work and the MTA has slashed service. Wait times are increased, so crowds then build up in the stations between trains.

Full disclosure, these photos are not nearly as bad as our normal rush hour commutes, but there are still WAY too many people crowded onto subs.

Yesterday, I watched a bus go by on a main artery near our house and it was packed, people standing. I know it sounds melodramatic, but for a moment it just looked like animals being led to the slaughter.

40 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

But you know what the other side would say if he did the pressers weekly right?

I guess I'm different, but I watch them to be more informed..... Now the daily Governors pressers, that's different. Where I live, we get Kaintucky, Indiana, plus Illannoy for crying' out loud.....

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier

16 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Subway and Bus Riders Face Crowded Conditions in NYC

Neither my wife or I have had to ride the subway for two weeks now. Every day we tell ourselves out loud how lucky we are to be able to work remotely. So many people still have to report to work and the MTA has slashed service. Wait times are increased, so crowds then build up in the stations between trains.

Full disclosure, these photos are not nearly as bad as our normal rush hour commutes, but there are still WAY too many people crowded onto subs.

Yesterday, I watched a bus go by on a main artery near our house and it was packed, people standing. I know it sounds melodramatic, but for a moment it just looked like animals being led to the slaughter.

So glad to learn that neither you, or your wife need to take the subway.  I DO feel sorry for those that need to, in order to continue to make a living. 

The public transportation system here in Denver has gone to the Sunday schedule. For weekdays.  Considerably reduced due to the lessened need.

Just wondering.  Can the subway service in NYC run more trains.... in order to lessen the congestion of each train ?  Not sure if you know.  Just thinking.

Not only are doctors and nurses on the front lines of this but how about an acknowledgement and prayers for our first responders. 

Indy Star has an article saying 12 police officers and 9 firefighters have tested positive.  Would be tough having too many on quarantine at one time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not only are doctors and nurses on the front lines of this but how about an acknowledgement and prayers for our first responders. 

Indy Star has an article saying 12 police officers and 9 firefighters have tested positive.  Would be tough having too many on quarantine at one time. 

19 Firefighers in just one NYC firehouse have tested positive for the virus.  Many heartfelt wishes going out to first responders who are putting their lives at risk. Helping others.  And continuing to do their jobs

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

It's also important to remember that the alternative would also bring depression, drug addiction, etc. There's no way to know exactly how many lives social distancing will ultimately save, but it will be a lot. And losing a loved one also triggers mental health problems. Not to mention the PTSD that is likely to follow for our frontline healthcare workers. 

That's why I stressed "balance."

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't for governments from local, state, and federal...

No matter what they do, some people will lose, some will win, and depending upon your own personal circumstance is how you'll view it...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

19 Firefighers in just one NYC firehouse have tested positive for the virus.  Many heartfelt wishes going out to first responders who are putting their lives at risk. Helping others.  And continuing to do their jobs

This situation with first reponders is getting very bad. What's happening in Rikers is also pretty terrifying right now. All day and night it seems like nothing but sirens sometimes. It's much worse at night.

25 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This situation with first reponders is getting very bad. What's happening in Rikers is also pretty terrifying right now. All day and night it seems like nothing but sirens sometimes. It's much worse at night.

I was at Riker's for 2 weeks one time.  I had sirens going off all the time...in my head.  LOL

I set up some modulars there a while back.

Edited by rico

28 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I am happy I am retired and really don't need to go anywhere other than the grocery store.

My wife on the other hand works at Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo. She gets to see what is going on first hand.