Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Went to the grocery store for the first time in about 3 weeks. This place has an on site butcher. And the meat section was cleaned out of pretty much everything. I'm noticing people dont like seafood or pork chops.

So am glad I had the wife fill up the freezer before this kicked off. 

My concern has always been a disruption in the supply chain. Maybe we will rethink the just in time production method after this.

Go midweek in the morning. I heard the local Walmart was as busy as Christmas time today. 

1 hour ago, Muckraker said:

Imagine living 100 or so miles from NYC! Probably tons of people trying to get out! 

The building we live in here in Brooklyn has 75 units. Our entire side of the top floor is empty. We are literally the only people left on our side of the building. Parking on the street is plentiful - that never happens - but they have already suspended alternate side parking weeks ago.

It's very quiet here. We could have easily left the city any time to go wait out this disaster at our family home on the water in the eastern shore of Maryland. We talked seriously about it right as this thing was heating up. But we just couldn't leave the city.

It's our home good and bad, and it just didn't feel right to abandon our home. I have mixed feelings about all of the people who have escaped NYC during this. On the one hand, I don't really blame them, but on the other hand I think it's kind of bullshit to take off when things get tough. NYC has survived 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy, we will also survive this. It might look different on the other side, but it will still be the best city in the world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Went to the grocery store for the first time in about 3 weeks. This place has an on site butcher. And the meat section was cleaned out of pretty much everything. I'm noticing people dont like seafood or pork chops.

So am glad I had the wife fill up the freezer before this kicked off. 

My concern has always been a disruption in the supply chain. Maybe we will rethink the just in time production method after this.

Isn't that the truth about the Seafood. Man I may go back and buy a truck load of shrimp. I ate about 3# today, how are people not bingeing on this? I'm like Scooby Doo on Scooby snacks!

• Haha 1

I ask this question in hopes someone may have an answer - OTHER THAN POLITICS. 

What is with the restrictions on hydroxy chloroquine? 

Governors in NV and MI banned it entirely before reversing course. Coumo in NY won't let Dr's prescribe it. You can only get at hospitals there which is leading to unnessary hospital overcrowding.

If the argument is it is unproven, I can't buy that. The CDC and the rest of the world endorse it. 

Are certain people trying to hoard it for themselves/ certain people? Public officials should not be putting the public at risk. The fact it was not an isolated event has me wondering what is going on. 

Again, looking for answers that don't involve politics. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Governors in NV and MI banned it entirely before reversing course. Coumo in NY won't let Dr's prescribe it. You can only get at hospitals there which is leading to unnessary hospital overcrowding.

If the argument is it is unproven, I can't buy that. The CDC and the rest of the world endorse it. 

Are certain people trying to hoard it for themselves/ certain people? Public officials should not be putting the public at risk. The fact it was not an isolated event has me wondering what is going on. 

I read that what Governor Cuomo is afraid of is that people who need it for arthritis and lupus (two conditions it's commonly prescribed for) won't be able to get it...

Not sure that holds much water, but that's what I read...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I read that what Governor Cuomo is afraid of is that people who need it for arthritis and lupus (two conditions it's commonly prescribed for) won't be able to get it...

Not sure that holds much water, but that's what I read...

This is true, and the same reason it was prohibited in michigan initially - doctors there could still prescribe it for those conditions, but not for treatments not already approved by the FDA. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Helps lupus patients. Once the word spread though it also helps with Covid19 people made a run on supplies. Luckily my sister got a 3 month supply in  early March. She called last week to inquire and her pharmacist said doubtful she could fill anytime soon....this was in Illinois.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Helps lupus patients. Once the word spread though it also helps with Covid19 people made a run on supplies. Luckily my sister got a 3 month supply in  early March. She called last week to inquire and her pharmacist said doubtful she could fill anytime soon....this was in Illinois.

That’s gotta be scary for people who actually need the medication.

I hope we can find a medication that will help the treatment of COVID, but this and vaccines are going to take time. Placebo effect is real. Side effects are real. It’s a bit frustrating because we could hypothetically stop this disease in its tracks by not going anywhere for 10 days, but there are always going to be people who just can’t adhere to the recommended guidelines. Sheltering in place for 10 days is quicker than any drug trial. 

Seriously the next person who tells me they aren’t afraid of getting it I want to punch in the face. It’s not about contracting it, it’s about spreading it. I’m simply amazed that people still can’t get this concept. We’re not be asked to storm the beach in Normandy. We’re just being asked to stay at home. 

Sorry, every now and then I get the urge to vent. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always looking for some positives to the current situation. It was announced yesterday, that pollutants in the Denver Metro area, that have a harmful impact on the human lung have decreased by 50%  over a year ago.

And that's not to say thar Denver has done a bad job of reducing air pollution over the years.  When I first moved to Denver, it was a real problem. Partly due to our altitude. Over the years Denver and other front range cities have worked hard to reduce the air pollution. And it has been working.  In 1988, Denver went to the use of Ethanol in the winter months. Later, it was in all of our fuels year round. Plus we have an 85 octane grade gasoline.

-----------------------------------------------

Mild news in the mile household.  Just as this thing was hitting, my wife went to see one of her doctors for a scheduled appointment.  On the counter, they were giving away surgical masks.  Not the 95. Mrs. mile took one.  And they said you can take all you want, as we have a huge supply and can get more.  Mrs. mile said.... I'll just take one, so others can have theirs.  And she forgot that she had the mask until yesterday.  And said upon reflection, that she wished now she had taken them up on their offer for more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I don't get it.  There are thousands of people dying, but people still seem to want to check all the boxes that something is proven and safe.  

If my loved one was stricken with a serious case of Covic, I know if I was given the choice of:

- Intubation and hoping for the best

- Taking a promising drug that has not been formally approved for treating this disease.

I'm taking the 2nd choice every day of the week.  If my loved one ends up growing an extra toe on their left foot, so be it.  It's better than the alternative.  It's better tp give them a chance than to do nothing and hope.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't get it.  There are thousands of people dying, but people still seem to want to check all the boxes that something is proven and safe.  

If my loved one was stricken with a serious case of Covic, I know if I was given the choice of:

- Intubation and hoping for the best

- Taking a promising drug that has not been formally approved for treating this disease.

I'm taking the 2nd choice every day of the week.  If my loved one ends up growing an extra toe on their left foot, so be it.  It's better than the alternative.  It's better tp give them a chance than to do nothing and hope.

My mother suffers from both lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. She uses a variant of this drug.

There are millions of doses available, and easily produced in large quantities. 

The concern of a shortage is nonsense. Basically saying to let people die in fears of a shortage (that is no real issue) is borderline criminal.

The only reason some areas are restricting this is either politics, red tape, or ignorance.

The recommendation right now is to try it on patients that are basically at deaths door. In a "nothing to lose scenario".

I think history will show the lack of using available options, until a long term solution is available, will have cost many lives.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The only reason some areas are restricting this is either politics, red tape, or ignorance.

And let's not forget "controlling our every move".

On another note...here is an interesting article on possibly another drug that could be very useful: (used in heartworm patients (dogs, horses, mammals)

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2020/04/04/common-anti-parasite-drug-may-kill-coronavirus-in-under-48-hours-say-researchers/

Edited by DWB

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think history will show the lack of using available options, until a long term solution is available, will have cost many lives.

And, I hope everyone that opposes using these thinks about what they could have done differently every single day of their life.  And, the sad thing about it is that these people will oppose. .  oppose, oppose, until it directly touches them.  Have it be something their loved one needs, and see how quickly they would change their tune.

In my mind, it literally is criminal.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

A faculty member in our department is co-leading a 2,000 patient clinical trial testing it. We are very seriously looking at it as a possible way to lessen the severity of symptoms.  I don't think anyone here in NYC is against is b/c of politics, that would be idiotic. I think it's just a sense of the unknown interactions and an overabundance of caution.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

And, I hope everyone that opposes using these thinks about what they could have done differently every single day of their life.  And, the sad thing about it is that these people will oppose. .  oppose, oppose, until it directly touches them.  Have it be something their loved one needs, and see how quickly they would change their tune.

In my mind, it literally is criminal.

I would hope there isn't really anyone opposed to it, hopefully they are just unconvinced or too cautious. Who are these people? Everyone I know are all hoping that it can help.

We wasted so much time as a nation and our leaders for the most part have failed us. It's time to try everything we can to lessen suffering, illness, and death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

A faculty member in our department is co-leading a 2,000 patient clinical trial testing it. We are very seriously looking at it as a possible way to lessen the severity of symptoms.  I don't think anyone here in NYC is against is b/c of politics, that would be idiotic. I think it's just a sense of the unknown interactions and an overabundance of caution.

I would hope there isn't really anyone opposed to it, hopefully they are just unconvinced or too cautious. Who are these people? Everyone I know are all hoping that it can help.

We wasted so much time as a nation and our leaders for the most part have failed us. It's time to try everything we can to lessen suffering, illness, and death.

My understanding is that the governors of Michigan and Nevada originally opposed some of the unproven treatments that had been made public during the President's updates.  I'm not going to speculate on their reasons. but delays of just 1 or 2 days make a difference. For some family.  

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

My understanding is that the governors of Michigan and Nevada originally opposed some of the unproven treatments that had been made public during the President's updates.  I'm not going to speculate on their reasons. but delays of just 1 or 2 days make a difference. For some family.  

Agreed about the delays. That's why I am angry that our so many leaders (both federal and state level) chose to undermine the severity of this. Delays of 1 to 2 days are bad, but inaction on the order of 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months will really turn out to the be the disaster after all of this is over.

Those two governors had better change their tune quickly - they could save countless people.

10 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Agreed about the delays. That's why I am angry that our so many leaders (both federal and state level) chose to undermine the severity of this. Delays of 1 to 2 days are bad, but inaction on the order of 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months will really turn out to the be the disaster after all of this is over.

Those two governors had better change their tune quickly - they could save countless people.

I believe they already have changed their position.  But, for a couple of days, they refused to allow it.  

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I believe they already have changed their position.  But, for a couple of days, they refused to allow it.  

That's good. I'm sure the medical leaders have pushed them pretty hard to loosen it up a bit. This is not a time to oppose a treatment b/c a politician you don't like promotes it. It's all hands on deck time.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:04 PM, 5fouls said:

Not sure how reliable this projection is, but it's interesting to look at.  

In summary

• The need for hospital beds peaks on April 15th and tails off to manageable numbers by June 1st
  • The daily death rate peaks on April 15th and tails off to just 11 on July 1st.
  • Total deaths tops 82,000

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Quoting myself to keep this link close at hand.

38 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Agreed about the delays. That's why I am angry that our so many leaders (both federal and state level) chose to undermine the severity of this. Delays of 1 to 2 days are bad, but inaction on the order of 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months will really turn out to the be the   Rwdisaster after all of this is over.

Lostin, I don’t disagree with you! But you and I having experience with the FDA we need to realize it is no where near that simple! I used to be a certified ISO13485 auditor!  Rapid change in the medical device and pharmaceuticals is not a good idea!! Streamlining the approval system is much needed!

Edited by Drroogh

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Lostin, I don’t disagree with you! But you and I having experience with the FDA we need to realize it is no where near that simple! I used to be a certified ISO13495 auditor!  Rapid change in the medical device and pharmaceuticals is not a good idea!! Streamlining the approval system is much needed!

495 covers food, right?

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Lostin, I don’t disagree with you! But you and I having experience with the FDA we need to realize it is no where near that simple! I used to be a certified ISO13485 auditor!  Rapid change in the medical device and pharmaceuticals is not a good idea!! Streamlining the approval system is much needed!

I think you are actually much more of an expert in FDA research than I am. The research we do is mostly Quality Improvement (QI) and patient safety. I'm "around" clinical trial stuff in our department, but not as familiar with the ins and outs.

My staff do have to deal with the IRB, but not really big clinical trial stuff. We do have a Rapid RCT Lab that has to register on the Clinical Trial website, but my division deals more with process changes over drugs/devices. So, I might be speaking from a position of relative ignorance. Would not be the first time. 😛

• Like 1