Coronavirus

Reacher

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Great, I'll add that to my worry calendar! :) I actually don't know the answer to that and am afraid to ask now.

We are very lucky in that the south side of our place is basically all windows and a door that open onto our terrace. We've had our windows and door open and just move in and outside as the day/night progresses. So, for us lots of fresh air and sunshine if it's nice out. I would say most people don't have that outdoor space/access here. This probably sounds crazy, but we've ever turned our heat on in the three years we've lived here. But it gets HOT in the summer on sunny days. AC is cranking then.

Oh man, didnt mean to your list of worries. 😳

12 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

You are correct. I am self-employed and thought WTH, I'll fill out the form(s). I really didn't know what to expect and sure enough, like you said mrflynn, I noticed PUA payments in my bank account. I have not been able to generate any income for almost 8 weeks and this is totally appreciated.

I am lucky to have still been working.  My wife is the self employed one and her last working day was March 23.  As soon as they passed the CARES act I got on top of filling out the weekly vouchers and waited.

The wheels of government turn slow.  Getting a lump sum is nice though.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Great, I'll add that to my worry calendar! :) I actually don't know the answer to that and am afraid to ask now.

We are very lucky in that the south side of our place is basically all windows and a door that open onto our terrace. We've had our windows and door open and just move in and outside as the day/night progresses. So, for us lots of fresh air and sunshine if it's nice out. I would say most people don't have that outdoor space/access here. This probably sounds crazy, but we've ever turned our heat on in the three years we've lived here. But it gets HOT in the summer on sunny days. AC is cranking then.

Do you have an A/C wall unit in the apartment?  How about a furnace?  

Funny story. 

I'm admittedly a baby and spent the last 24 hours freaked out. I have afib and my ablation was scheduled for April 1. Good news is that it finally got rescheduled for Monday, but on the phone they told me I had to get a COVID test 3 days prior, which is today. I thought it was strange because the test are so in-demand and I don't even have symptoms. My cynical side, chalked it up to the hospital setting some aside for procedures they can make a lot of money off of. But further more, I've heard those nasal swabs are absolutely horrible; it feels like they're poking your brain. My wife was making fun of me because I was more worried about the nasal swab than the actual procedure - and I was like HELL YEAH I AM. 

Anyway, I walk into the lab and ask the nurse how bad it's going to be and she gave me a funny look. She told me she was just going to swab the back of my throat. And I said "Through the nose?!" I must've looked terrified because she laughed and said "no, not that test. That's for if you actually have COVID symptoms.....this is just like a strep test." 

I was so relieved! haha. But damn that scheduler for freaking me out! She told me it was going to be a nasal swab.

Happy hour is starting early tonight. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Thirdly, the numbers are going to "spike" simply because we're testing more.

Are we though? Every piece of information that I'm seeing tells me we're not nearly at the levels of testing that we need to be. Indiana, for example, has roughly 6.8 million residents. As of today, the state has tested ~130,000 people. That's less than 2% of the overall population. That's not going to cut it. We may be seeing "more testing", but on a per capita basis, we're way behind the curve. I'm not going to ascribe blame here, but this is just a fact. 

6 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Are we though? Every piece of information that I'm seeing tells me we're not nearly at the levels of testing that we need to be. Indiana, for example, has roughly 6.8 million residents. As of today, the state has tested ~130,000 people. That's less than 2% of the overall population. That's not going to cut it. We may be seeing "more testing", but on a per capita basis, we're way behind the curve. I'm not going to ascribe blame here, but this is just a fact. 

My question though is will they be able to test all 6.8 million people, just Indiana alone? Is that even realistic?

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My question though is will they be able to test all 6.8 million people, just Indiana alone? Is that even realistic?

I don't think the goal has ever been to have every single person in a geographical area tested. But to get to a statistically meaningful baseline, it has to be more than 2%. I'm not a public health expert or a statistician, but I would imagine at least in the range of 20-25% testing of a geographically-bounded set of a population would help us get a better grasp on what we're dealing with.  

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Today, Indiana started paying out PUA unemployment for self employed, sole proprietor, gig worker ect.  If you get even $1 from state UI you will get the full $600 from the feds.  If you haven't applied you should.  The $600 is in effect until July 31st. 

If the do nothing congress people can sit on their keisters and get their salary you bet I'm going to squeeze every penny out of this I can.

I just wanted you to know you made about a half dozen folks I know here in Indy area very happy. All self employed. All filed....but never thought they would get a dime. They just called the number for their Key Card I guess what it is....and all $ is on there retroactive to March. Unreal for them. Some of them have never collected a dime or taken charity in their lives....and boom all this money is on their card. Of course their first question.....am I going to get into trouble with this? Haha

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just wanted you to know you made about a half dozen folks I know here in Indy area very happy. All self employed. All filed....but never thought they would get a dime. They just called the number for their Key Card I guess what it is....and all $ is on there retroactive to March. Unreal for them. Some of them have never collected a dime or taken charity in their lives....and boom all this money is on their card. Of course their first question.....am I going to get into trouble with this? Haha

That's good to hear.  Definitely a stress relief after checking the bank account.

My wife works with and knows several young single salon workers that went from working to no income overnight. Been answering alot of questions and helping them navigate through the process. It's not exactly easy to figure it out at first. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

That's good to hear.  Definitely a stress relief after checking the bank account.

My wife works with and knows several young single salon workers that went from working to no income overnight. Been answering alot of questions and helping them navigate through the process. It's not exactly easy to figure it out at first. 

That's what my wife's good friend is dealing with. She owns a salon here in Carmel. Filed right away and apparently today they deposited $2k+ on her card. She's now nervous she's done something wrong,etc....haha. I guess you use the card like anywhere else? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Funny story. 

I'm admittedly a baby and spent the last 24 hours freaked out. I have afib and my ablation was scheduled for April 1. Good news is that it finally got rescheduled for Monday, but on the phone they told me I had to get a COVID test 3 days prior, which is today. I thought it was strange because the test are so in-demand and I don't even have symptoms. My cynical side, chalked it up to the hospital setting some aside for procedures they can make a lot of money off of. But further more, I've heard those nasal swabs are absolutely horrible; it feels like they're poking your brain. My wife was making fun of me because I was more worried about the nasal swab than the actual procedure - and I was like HELL YEAH I AM. 

Anyway, I walk into the lab and ask the nurse how bad it's going to be and she gave me a funny look. She told me she was just going to swab the back of my throat. And I said "Through the nose?!" I must've looked terrified because she laughed and said "no, not that test. That's for if you actually have COVID symptoms.....this is just like a strep test." 

I was so relieved! haha. But damn that scheduler for freaking me out! She told me it was going to be a nasal swab.

Happy hour is starting early tonight. 

Just mixed up Manhattans for me and the missus here, so a toast to you for surviving your test!

I just turned 50 and have the second shingles vaccination coming up at our outpt facilities. I've already rescheduled it once, but I'll get it next month. We are pre-testing all outpatients too, so I'll be doing the same. Hopefully with the less painful test!

Good luck with your surgery, TD.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what my wife's good friend is dealing with. She owns a salon here in Carmel. Filed right away and apparently today they deposited $2k+ on her card. She's now nervous she's done something wrong,etc....haha. I guess you use the card like anywhere else? 

Lol, its definitely strange getting so much just given to you. 

As I understand it works just like a debit card, can pay or use atm with it.  We did direct deposit since it was a better option for us, so I dont know all the details. 

Here is a FAQ

1 hour ago, Muckraker said:

Has IU Scott been on here lately? Wondering how he's doing. 

He just responded in another thread and I didn't want to hassle him by asking how he's doing. But I wanted to though. :)

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do too. I have a lot of thoughts on those subjects. But the last one, the "gotcha politics" has to stop...

The "gotcha politics" are really dragging things down right now. It's all about how "my side" can score victories over "your side." The rush to trying to amplify headlines that prove your viewpoint is just exhausting. And I don't know how people actually watch TV news w/o their heads exploding.

We should be figuring out how to find some common ground, somehow.

• Like 3

Welp, unfortunately the 50% pay cut just became 100%. If you know anyone that needs an experienced marketer (specialize in brand, direct-to-consumer and digital marketing) whether full time or as a consultant let me know! 

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Welp, unfortunately the 50% pay cut just became 100%. If you know anyone that needs an experienced marketer (specialize in brand, direct-to-consumer and digital marketing) whether full time or as a consultant let me know! 

So sorry to hear that so hopefully you can at least get unemployment while you look for a new job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really sorry to hear that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So sorry to hear that so hopefully you can at least get unemployment while you look for a new job.

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate it. I'm hoping I can get approved. It's a bit of a weird situation, we're a startup and I'm a very small investor, meaning that I'm neither and employee or a 1099.