Baseball ready for 2 ranked opponents in KLC

Massive weekend. Bierman gets the start today after shutting down South Alabama last weekend. 

Our starting pitching was fabulous last weekend. 16.2 IP, 18Ks, 13H, 3BB, 0ER. Our hitting still isn't there 100%, but that's understandable.. still in February. We are finding ways to still manufacture some runs. We've been great so far with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs of getting that runner in. 

Richardson and Dunham have absolutely been on fire though. Dunham's OBP is .620 and Grant's is .455. 

As far as FR go... Hunter Jesse has been a nice surprise in the outfield, he has made some nice plays and batting a .260 with some clutch play as well. Ethan Vecrumba has struggled (this years prized recruit), I do not expect that to continue. Little surprised we haven't seen any of Sharp or Hacker, yet. But, we our bullpen is very experienced, so we might be waiting to use those two basically exclusively throughout the week. I could be wrong on that though. 

Showed some fight yesterday, just were beat by a really good team. Successful weekend and a big time start to the year. Wins @LSU, @South Alabama, and @ECU will matter later on in the year.

Friday

Bierman struggled, but fought. 4IP 99 pitches 6H 3BB 2ER 6K. Scott essentially won us the game though.. 4IP 3H 7K 0BB

Richardson hit a monstrous HR, Fucci 2 run double in the first, Ashley 3 run bomb later on. We also shelled their All American starting pitcher... 2.2IP 8H 6ER 

Saturday

Tommy Sommer pitched a gem on Saturday. 8.2 innings 1ER. 

Offense was small ball. 

Sunday

Tucker struggled. 4IP 6H 5ER .... McCade Brown struggled as well 1IP 3H 4ER. David Platt was very good 2IP 3K 1BB OER

Fucci and Richardson homered. 

We are better than I anticipated us being. That is basically all because Sommer, Bierman, and Tucker has been very, very solid pitching wise. Scott and Manous have been very good out of the pen combining for 14.1IP 3ER. We will absolutely compete for the B1G title and will be a regional team. Richardson and Dunham are both batting well over 400, Barr and Ashley will come into it, Fucci is very solid he had a hugeee weekend. Hunter Jesse has been a big time surprise... batting 300 RBIs and making some awesome plays in the first. 

Worries

SS position- Houston struggles.. in the field he is solid, at the plate he is bad. He is 2-27 at the plate, he doesn't have a decent OBP for how low his average is, but still. BUT, game one of the season Grant Macciocchi was the starting 2B and has played a lot of SS before in JUCO. He was batting 3rd in the lineup Game 1 and hurt himself running to first on his first at bat. If he was batting 3rd in this lineup, they valued him very high. Hopefully he can take over that spot... and either Ashley or Trinkle at 2B. 

Catching wise- Hopkins is serviceable, but he is average at best, but I don't think we have anyone behind him. 

Bullpen depth- Pitching staff is either VERY experienced, or it's a FR (for the most part)- We haven't seen any of Sharp, Walker, Behrmann, Deaton, Modugno, or Hacker (heard he is RSing). I could see Walker, Sharp, or Behrmann starting on Wednesday night vs. Purdue though. Or Cal Krueger... he didn't throw an inning this weekend and has some starting experience. 

Also... those wins against South Alabama and ECU were part of round robin tourneys, but they are consider true road wins because those schools were the host schools. That is huge for RPI and come selection Monday. Obviously the win at LSU is a road win, as well. 

Those 3 wins are probably as good as anyone in the countries 3 road wins until this point. 

As of now.. the win over TN- Martin was a good win, as well. 

Archived