Purdue Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

Probably is your problem in life. You are more worried about how someone says something regardless if it’s true or not. 

I can’t help you there, only you will have to walk through life worrying about how someone said something to you, and that my friend is a shame. Say what you feel, not what is accepted.

Wrong. Called respect for yourself and others. One can be blunt and respectful without appearing to be a disrespectful fool. Learn the difference and grow up. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Then where is your honesty to my post because you didn’t reply on how Archie shouldn’t be seen as a guy that can get us there?

When you have three years to get your system in and yet the same trends exist, that’s why he can’t get us there. Every game we have at least a 7 minute scoring drought. Every time we play shitty team we allow that team to dictate how we play, do you want me to continue?

He starts Durham and Smith over better players on the bench. The lists goes on and on. You can lead a horse to water, problem is you can’t make him drink. A coach should know that and change things. It isn’t working now. 

Oh we got Lander, so let’s keep Archie, even though he has a gem in TJD and can’t find a way to get him open or the ball for that matter. Yank, yank Archie sucks.

4 minutes ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

When you have three years to get your system in and yet the same trends exist, that’s why he can’t get us there. Every game we have at least a 7 minute scoring drought. Every time we play shitty team we allow that team to dictate how we play, do you want me to continue?

He starts Durham and Smith over better players on the bench. The lists goes on and on. You can lead a horse to water, problem is you can’t make him drink. A coach should know that and change things. It isn’t working now. 

Oh we got Lander, so let’s keep Archie, even though he has a gem in TJD and can’t find a way to get him open or the ball for that matter. Yank, yank Archie sucks.

I’m sorry but those reasons are awful. First off, scoring drought every game is usually due to turnovers...yeah definitely the system! And I’m sorry who is better on the bench than Durham and Smith?? Also you want to bench Durham and take one less guard?? And TJD litterally gets the ball all the time just cuz one game like Purdue he doesn’t doesn’t mean that’s the narrative! Also if your guards can’t shoot it’s pretty dang hard to get the ball inside at times! Like come on open your eyes and quit whining over irrational points!! 

19 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

I’m sorry but those reasons are awful. First off, scoring drought every game is usually due to turnovers...yeah definitely the system! And I’m sorry who is better on the bench than Durham and Smith?? Also you want to bench Durham and take one less guard?? And TJD litterally gets the ball all the time just cuz one game like Purdue he doesn’t doesn’t mean that’s the narrative! Also if your guards can’t shoot it’s pretty dang hard to get the ball inside at times! Like come on open your eyes and quit whining over irrational points!! 

Just look at the games we have lost,, especially against sub par teams, their guards couldn’t shoot either. How did Purdue shoot the three today?  Your ten ply bud and refuse to face the facts. Would you know a good time if it slapped you in the face, my guess is you wouldn’t?  Keep defending Archie and the scrubs like Smith and Durham, but it’s on the coach and soft players like Durham and Smith. 

Race is better than smith, Green is better than Durham, so is Franklin.

It was fitting when Bruiser called Archie out on the bench tonight, because that’s normal for a well oiled machine. The cracks are there and it won’t get any better. I mean a coach said f*** you to another coach today on national tv, that’s all I needed to see.

19 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

TJD doesn’t get the ball enough. Archie couldn’t even figure out how to avoid a double team tonight, a frickin double team? Seriously that’s 6th grade women’s basketball.

7 minutes ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

Just look at the games we have lost,, especially against sub par teams, their guards couldn’t shoot either. How did Purdue shoot the three today?  Your ten ply bud and refuse to face the facts. Would you know a good time if it slapped you in the face, my guess is you wouldn’t?  Keep defending Archie and the scrubs like Smith and Durham, but it’s on the coach and soft players like Durham and Smith. 

Race is better than smith, Green is better than Durham, so is Franklin.

It was fitting when Bruiser called Archie out on the bench tonight, because that’s normal for a well oiled machine. The cracks are there and it won’t get any better. I mean a coach said f*** you to another coach today on national tv, that’s all I needed to see.

Durham and Smith aren’t even recruited by Archie!! There is so much more to every situation then you know!! We’re you in the convo with Archie and bruiser? Are you in the locker room and team meetings? Like get off your high horse

High horse? You could be sitting on a low horse and see that a Archie has no clue how to make adjustments or put his players in positions to succeed. How many times this year have we finished a game and won with the same players that started a game? You win games with your best players, so why would you start a game with some of your best players but not all of them?

i don’t care what you think or what anybody thinks on the board, nor should you care what I think, but to sit here and think Archie is the guy after 3 years of garbage, then your just kidding yourself. You realize tonight we didn’t score from 3:50 in the first half until 11:30 of the second half, right?

I mean what the hell are we talking about?

6 hours ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

The notion that 8-10 minute scoring droughts are solely on coaching is such an lazy evaluation. It's really exhausting to constantly read this narrative.

As has been the case ALL YEAR, this team has a lack of mental fortitude and maturity. When things go well, the team feeds off it and we see really good performances (see FSU, MSU, Penn State). When things go poorly, the negatives cascade and we look completely incompetent. There's nothing Archie can do at this point to fix the mental make-up of this team aside from continuing to push for constant effort (which has improved). It's going to require fresh blood and growth of the young guys already on the team to start getting out of the ruts quicker.

This is a fair point and I wouldnt say I was putting it all on Archie because the players had a pretty abysmal effort tonight, but this is the third consecutive year of horrendous offensive output.

I would agree there has been a (slow) overall improvement, but we are a perennially lost team on offense. At some point it's not just individual effort. 

The roster is trash, bottom line.  Green, Durham, and Smith most nights aren’t good enough to play major minutes on a winning team.  Not saying Archie is or isn’t the guy but he was forced to keep all 3.  They don’t fit his system at all, but it is on Archie to adapt to the people on his roster.  Last night they had some good looks, shots didn’t fall like most of the year when we lost.  They doubled Trayce, he wasn’t bad but he has to be quicker, like before the double gets there to make the pass.  I’m not giving up on this season, and I’m not giving up on Archie just yet.  I see some things that he can improve on and I’m sure he does too.  Now he’s just got to make them.  First thing is the roster, and that starts next year.  3 of the 4 are going to be at least 3 year players and probably 4 year players.  The other will be here for at least 2.  

44 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The roster is trash, bottom line.  Green, Durham, and Smith most nights aren’t good enough to play major minutes on a winning team.  Not saying Archie is or isn’t the guy but he was forced to keep all 3.  They don’t fit his system at all, but it is on Archie to adapt to the people on his roster.  Last night they had some good looks, shots didn’t fall like most of the year when we lost.  They doubled Trayce, he wasn’t bad but he has to be quicker, like before the double gets there to make the pass.  I’m not giving up on this season, and I’m not giving up on Archie just yet.  I see some things that he can improve on and I’m sure he does too.  Now he’s just got to make them.  First thing is the roster, and that starts next year.  3 of the 4 are going to be at least 3 year players and probably 4 year players.  The other will be here for at least 2.  

3 of the 4??? 🤔🤔  Is the 4th firmly written in dry erase marker or just a feeling on your part?  I know HE has said he wants to come next year, but are all the pieces in place for that to happen?

And remember, you already used your "i was right" credit so you cant be wrong on this. 🤣

46 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

That is how I am trying to look at it.  The roster just cannot shoot, pretty much across the board.  We also have an issue with guards who just do not make good decisions.  

I felt going into this year that if we won around 20 games and made the tournament, that would be a success for this team.  That is still within reach.  That would mark progress each year.  We have a roster issue.  I do blame Miller for not addressing that with a grad transfer or something of the like, but his team is on the floor.  I was a bit worried about recruiting but Lander seems to show that the top recruits (in state at least) are still buying into his vision.

Win the home games, make the tournament, see if we can make a little noise there, and then look to improve more next year.

i get the love for Race, but i don't get the hate for Brunk.  who starts of the two?  i don't care.  both should get good minutes.  Al kills me.  i'll take a break from complaining about Green to complain about Al.  how about Smith shooting jumpers?  you just know there is absolutely no way it's going in.  anyway, still excited about the future looking at Lander and the others coming in and they likely ones in 2021.  after seeing Wiscy win on the road last night, it just dawned on me that that home game is not a given for us though.  if we lose that one and @ Illinois, i'm back to getting nervous about the Big Dance.  please keep reassuring me?

5 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

NP. Seriously, I doubt I could even find Monatna on a map.

It's right next to Idhao. Seriously, not sure why you guys are bothering with that guy - he's clearly a troll. 

As for the game, it's the same song and dance we've been seeing all year - awful guard play leads to not being able to punish a team for doubling down low. TJD is also going to need to learn how to handle a double team- I was curious why we didn't try to get DD the ball down low more when he was in, to take advantage of his passing ability there, and I thought we were getting decent guard penetration in the second half, but it wasn't consistent enough. Still feeling pretty positive about the future.  

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I wonder if what Chris007 on BB said is true.  That when Archie was hired he was led to believe he could keep the players he wanted and Crean those he didn't.   It wasn't until after he signed the contract and got to Btown that Fred informed him of the bill of rights and that he would have to keep all these jokers.   Archie supposedly loathes Fred and I'm guessing that is why. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For those who missed it (like I did), here's video of the Archie/Bruiser dust-up.

Personally, I like that both are passionate about what they do...the ability to disagree, even vehemently at times, is good for the team...

I’m not a lip reader...can anyone break that convo down

38 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder if what Chris007 on BB said is true.  That when Archie was hired he was led to believe he could keep the players he wanted and Crean those he didn't.   It wasn't until after he signed the contract and got to Btown that Fred informed him of the bill of rights and that he would have to keep all these jokers.   Archie supposedly loathes Fred and I'm guessing that is why. 

You got it buddy.  Pretty sad.  You’re starting to see all the pent up frustration coming out of Archie because he knows he’s getting a new boss and knows Fred really can’t do anything at this point.  Think about his actions/antics the last two games.  That’s the fire and passion I saw when he was at Dayton.

As far as the game goes, listen to Archie's post game presser. He hits the nail on the head...

Our effort was good...we competed...but so did Purdue

Our attitude was good

Our decision making was poor. 

We lost this game in the last 3 minutes of the 1st half (just like the last meeting). At the 3:21 mark, it was 19-18. At the 1:03 mark it was 23-20. 4 turnovers (Devonte 2, Armaan 1, Durham 1) had it at 29-20 at the half...and we lost by 8.

Archived