Purdue Postgame Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Rob's just an absolute mystery at this point. I don't know if it's health, confidence, or other things (likely a combo), but he's simply not reliable, which is pretty frustrating, because he'll make a terrific play and then turn around and barely draw rim on a jumper. Considering that a PG handles the ball every time down the court, kinda important to get consistent play there. 

Yep. Agreee 100%. After his Butler and Louisville games last year as a freshman I thought Ok....here we go. We have our PG for the future. I still believe he will be big contributor by the time his years at IU are done but right now his play is so up and down.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks that we keep losing to Purdue, especially on a night when we play good defense and kept them from going off from 3.  The effort was there despite poor shooting, just made some stupid mistakes that let to Purdue buckets when the game was close and allowed Purdue to get out to a comfortable lead.  

18 to 19 with 2 minutes and change left

Williams circus layup

Devonte tries to pass it over the top of Williams and turns it over

Devonte commits stupid foul leading to 2 made FT's

empty possessions for both teams

Al goes to FT line makes 2 (should've been in the bonus long before this stretch)

Williams scores inside again

Franklin turns it over leading to a Hunter JR bucket

Al dribbles around with Eastern dogging him loses the ball and recovers, runs Eastern into Smith's screen while simultaneously dribbling behind his back losing his dribble in the process and ball goes right to Hunter JR who gets an easy layup. 

Now game is 20-29 and we end losing by 8.  If we play this last 2 minutes with our heads out of our asses, we would've stopped their momentum allowing them to get ahead by 18 or whatever they got the lead to early in the 2nd half.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Agreee 100%. After his Butler and Louisville games last year as a freshman I thought Ok....here we go. We have our PG for the future. I still believe he will be big contributor by the time his years at IU are done but right now his play is so up and down.

I agree also. Never thought he’d be a star but I thought our PG position was largely taken care of. Apparently not at all. :(

Just now, EvilleHoosier said:

Sucks that we keep losing to Purdue, especially on a night when we play good defense and kept them from going off from 3.  The effort was there despite poor shooting, just made some stupid mistakes that let to Purdue buckets when the game was close and allowed Purdue to get out to a comfortable lead.  

18 to 19 with 2 minutes and change left

Williams circus layup

Devonte tries to pass it over the top of Williams and turns it over

Devonte commits stupid foul leading to 2 made FT's

empty possessions for both teams

Al goes to FT line makes 2 (should've been in the bonus long before this stretch)

Williams scores inside again

Franklin turns it over leading to a Hunter JR bucket

Al dribbles around with Eastern dogging him loses the ball and recovers, runs Eastern into Smith's screen while simultaneously dribbling behind his back losing his dribble in the process and ball goes right to Hunter JR who gets an easy layup. 

Now game is 20-29 and we end losing by 8.  If we play this last 2 minutes with our heads out of our asses, we would've stopped their momentum allowing them to get ahead by 18 or whatever they got the lead to early in the 2nd half.

When we play bad we make sure to play WICKED BAD, and it seems it’s contagious to the whole team. Their IQ’s plummet together as a group.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I agree also. Never thought he’d be a star but I thought our PG position was largely taken care of. Apparently not at all. :(

I think a lot of Rob's issues stem from not being able to work a lot in the off-season, and the preseason due to his abdominal injury...it set him back...

I'd wager if he's injury free this off-season, we'll see a different, more effective player...I think he'll get after it hard...

And he'd better... competition is a comin...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think a lot of Rob's issues stem from not being able to work a lot in the off-season, and the preseason due to his abdominal injury...it set him back...

I'd wager if he's injury free this off-season, we'll see a different, more effective player...I think he'll get after it hard...

I'm really holding onto this line of thinking with RP as well. Shoot for all I know his play is poor because he can't stand playing with DG/Al...I don't know. Either way...like you said competition is coming. These guys better strap it on this off season.

I was proud of myself last night because I have been working hard and praying that I would stop yelling during games.  Last night I did  not get upset and yell at all during the game last night.  I only was on the post game thread for a few minutes last night and for the most part everything was pretty good on here.  I come here this morning and I let one troll get under my skin which is what trolls want and I am very disappointed in myself for letting that happen.  I am by know means happy with the loss last nigh or how we played but I do see some signs of things turning around the last few weeks.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I was proud of myself last night because I have been working hard and praying that I would stop yelling during games.  Last night I did  not get upset and yell at all during the game last night.  I only was on the post game thread for a few minutes last night and for the most part everything was pretty good on here.  I come here this morning and I let one troll get under my skin which is what trolls want and I am very disappointed in myself for letting that happen.  I am by know means happy with the loss last nigh or how we played but I do see some signs of things turning around the last few weeks.

Fighting the good fight is nothing to apologize for...

Keep on keeping on there Hoss...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Fighting the good fight is nothing to apologize for...

Keep on keeping on there Hoss...

I am just trying to be a better person where I don't let things bother me that I have no control over.  I also am trying to see other people's view point even if it is not what I believe in but this guy just got to me.

10 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

Oh s*** I forgot, Jackson-Davis for the PC crowd. It might be the problem with this board, “don’t ruffle feathers or else it’s a bad board”. Grow up bud, you knew what I was saying.  

IU will be fine, it’s just one game, Archie needs his players, etc... when does it stop? IU isn’t fine, Archie is over his britches, and we are staring down 4 years at the minimum to get back to relevance.

Im trying to decide what you need worse...Jesus or a valium.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just trying to be a better person where I don't let things bother me that I have no control over.  I also am trying to see other people's view point even if it is not what I believe in but this guy just got to me.

There's a quote that I like..

"Democracy Dies in Silence." (It's actually the motto of the Washington Post).

Now, adhering to forum rules, I'll modify it to fit what we converse about here...

"The Truth Dies in Silence."

If people constantly hear only one side of an issue, say in some people's mind Archie's inability to coach, and no one speaks up to present what they see and their opinion (and in my estimation, we have more than a few people qualified, you included, to tender a good one), that becomes the narrative.

The mods are good about letting people express those opinions, even those that veer out of forum guidelines to a point. But they're also really good about allowing rebuttal that fits the original post.

As I said, you have nothing to apologize for...

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope so, and I’m willing to give it a chance. And I have to remember these are college kids not pros. But gosh it seems like many of our players who have a set back have their entire seasons trashed and can’t get back to being a reasonable shadow of what they’re capable of being. It’s probably just me thinking slanted thoughts because we’ve sucked so long as a program. So the perception of things is skewed.

2 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I’m not a lip reader...can anyone break that convo down

I have no idea what was being said, but it almost looks like Archie screaming about Rob.  Rob had made several terrible plays in a row,  a couple of poor decisions on passes, one of which was to Brunk who was crowded, then a pass right to a Purdue player, with a bad shot mixed in between.  The pass to the Purdue player is the play before the timeout and Archie gets up from his seat pissed and motions for Green or whoever to go in for Rob.  Then coming back from the commercial break you see this back and forth between Archie and Bruiser.  

Rob ended up playing well after he came back from being benched, but his play helped allow Purdue to go on a 7-0 run to start the second half as much as the other guards' play led to the 10-2 run Purdue went on the last 2-3 minutes of the 1st half.  We are not going to win many games when we get 3 assists from our guards, no matter how good we play on defense.  Archie may need more than Lander coming in next year.

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

You got it buddy.  Pretty sad.  You’re starting to see all the pent up frustration coming out of Archie because he knows he’s getting a new boss and knows Fred really can’t do anything at this point.  Think about his actions/antics the last two games.  That’s the fire and passion I saw when he was at Dayton.

But what would've stopped Archie from parking those guys at the end of the bench?  Couldn't he have pulled them into his office years ago and told them that while I can't kick you off the team I don't have to play you and I won't.   You're welcome to stay but you will be the next Tim Priller if so.  That's what I would've done at least. 

I know all the rumors flying about CAM bing hamstrung by the admin and the players bill of rights. And maybe that may be a small factor. I honestly think it's being blown out of proportion. 

I think the answer is more simple. If CAM benches the players then who will he put in? We aren't in the position to throw any games away. We haven't been all season - we've been teetering on the edge. It seems like every game is a must win this year. CAM is feeling the pressure to win and make the tournament. We yelled at him for having Franklin in at the end of the game a week or so ago, saying" you can't put a Freshman in that position". We yelled at him yesterday for putting Al in at the end of the second half last night. We (me especially) yell at him to take Green after a boneheaded play. WHO IS HE GOING TO PUT IN? Is he going to run Deron at the point????? 

CAM is in between a rock and a hard place right now because he has a personnel problem; we lack consistency at the guard position. 

Is the personnel problem Archie's fault? Partly, yes. We have 2 open scholarships and in retrospect (I think CAM has even admitted this) he should have had more backup guard options when he didn't get his main targets. Maybe then he could've used the bench as a motivator. I honestly thinking he's living and learning the hard way. 

I think we also need to take into consideration that consistency and confidence are tied together. If benching kills confidence then there's a pretty big chance inconsistency will remain. Go ahead and complain that kids are soft these days, but in the end that's not going to matter or change their mentality. Kids are who they are now. We can't go into the past and change how society has brought them up. Coaches need to adapt or be left behind. Fans need to come to the realization that benching a kid is not as simple as an answer as it may have been in the past. 

On a positive note. We are bound to make the tournament despite all these inconsistencies and a lack of personnel. Other than TJD, which one of our players would start on a majority of contending teams right now???? That's gotta say something, right? I bet CAM is going to look back at this season as a nightmare. haha. 

I fully agree, particularly about the limited options with the roster.  Also, as you touched on, the roster shortcomings are partly on him.  We needed shooters last year and did nothing to address that for this year from a recruit or transfer standpoint. Also I remain convinced that CAM and the staff got caught with their pants down believing KBJ was "in the bag".

I'd love to see us get 2 more recruits, ideally at the 2/3 positions.  I am talking about veterans who can play quickly (Transfers) or a highly rated freshman like Muhammad.  We need juice at the 2/3 positions.

Last night, Purdue clogged the lanes inside on defense and we had upperclassmen who couldn't shoot even a fifteen footer to loosen the D.

I would also like to see an assistant or two purged.  The staff is very slow to make critical adjustments.  Last night, they just wouldn't adjust on D with Williams having his way.  It's alot like the hedging nonsense against UM.  If you see something hurting you, we need a coaching staff that has an adjustment ready.  We've seen a lot of problems at the start of second halves, and changing approaches or adding a wrinkle etc to stop the bleeding may be warranted. 

23 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yes, part of the problem is if he benches them he really doesn’t have anyone else to put in.  I agree though he should’ve benched them especially in the blowout games everyone knew they weren’t coming back from.  Archie is a coach, therefore he’s stubborn as hell.

I'm saying why didn't he bench them 2 years ago?  He benched Moore and Forrester and it worked like a charm.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd love to see us get 2 more recruits, ideally at the 2/3 positions.  I am talking about veterans who can play quickly (Transfers) or a highly rated freshman like Muhammad.  We need juice at the 2/3 positions.

Last night, Purdue clogged the lanes inside on defense and we had upperclassmen who couldn't shoot even a fifteen footer to loosen the D.

I would also like to see an assistant or two purged.  The staff is very slow to make critical adjustments.  Last night, they just wouldn't adjust on D with Williams having his way.  It's alot like the hedging nonsense against UM.  If you see something hurting you, we need a coaching staff that has an adjustment ready.  We've seen a lot of problems at the start of second halves, and changing approaches or adding a wrinkle etc to stop the bleeding may be warranted. 

At least we finally defended the 3pt shot ....trying to find a positive lol 

Archived