Purdue Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm saying why didn't he bench them 2 years ago?  He benched Moore and Forrester and it worked like a charm.

Because there were games where they made a huge positive difference.Of the 11 scholarship players he has, he needed 10 of them at one point of another this year to have success.  You simply can't go nuclear and put them on the end of the bench.  You heat check them and when it's not working, you go to the next option.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on last night, other than I hate that we lost of course, I don't have a problem with last nights game in terms of effort, intensity, coaching, whatever. I don't think last night was any type of negative referendum on Archie. It was a tough road loss and those are going to happen more often than not in the Big Ten. The team didn't fold, they fought through some pretty poor play in an intense environment and almost persevered. 

Some quick thoughts:

- Again, for the most part I really liked the effort and intensity. IU played really good D

- The shooting was abysmal, but you'll have that on the road, the real big negatives though were the turnovers. Just way too many absolutely boneheaded, unforced errors.

- Is it time for Race to start and play even more minutes? I think it is. He plays so hard and he's so smart. That play where he got it in the post and peeked the shot clock and then turned over his shoulder to bank it in was great. More than half the guys on this team would have never even realized the shot clock and it would have been a shot clock violation

- The shooting was horrendous, clearly. But, I thought the officiating was also horrendous. Not so much that it was unfair or against any either team in particular, but the officials allowed that to be a wrestling match instead of a basketball game, and that type of game is going to favor Purdue, especially at home. I really think that set the tone for the game. IU already struggles to shoot and finish, and then when the refs allow it to be ultra physical, that's going to impact things even more. I know they won't, but the Big Ten has got to do something about this.

- The Archie-Bruiser argument (or whatever it was) is a complete non-issue. These things happen all of the time. Maybe not always as visible, but they happen. 

- IU would be a much different team if we had the Phinisee from that late stretch where he attacked the basket and hit that 3 much more often

- Need TJD to show up this weekend

3 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Wasn’t able to watch, so if you posters can help me out with what happened that would be great. 

From what I gathered seemed like our guards were terrible, built a new wall for PU full of bricks, and our offense was just terrible. Seems like they fought hard for the majority of the game.

Kinda sums it up. Not much to add. some bad turnovers and atrocious shooting.

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My thoughts on last night, other than I hate that we lost of course, I don't have a problem with last nights game in terms of effort, intensity, coaching, whatever. I don't think last night was any type of negative referendum on Archie. It was a tough road loss and those are going to happen more often than not in the Big Ten. The team didn't fold, they fought through some pretty poor play in an intense environment and almost persevered. 

Some quick thoughts:

- Again, for the most part I really liked the effort and intensity. IU played really good D

- The shooting was abysmal, but you'll have that on the road, the real big negatives though were the turnovers. Just way too many absolutely boneheaded, unforced errors.

- Is it time for Race to start and play even more minutes? I think it is. He plays so hard and he's so smart. That play where he got it in the post and peeked the shot clock and then turned over his shoulder to bank it in was great. More than half the guys on this team would have never even realized the shot clock and it would have been a shot clock violation

- The shooting was horrendous, clearly. But, I thought the officiating was also horrendous. Not so much that it was unfair or against any either team in particular, but the officials allowed that to be a wrestling match instead of a basketball game, and that type of game is going to favor Purdue, especially at home. I really think that set the tone for the game. IU already struggles to shoot and finish, and then when the refs allow it to be ultra physical, that's going to impact things even more. I know they won't, but the Big Ten has got to do something about this.

- The Archie-Bruiser argument (or whatever it was) is a complete non-issue. These things happen all of the time. Maybe not always as visible, but they happen. 

- IU would be a much different team if we had the Phinisee from that late stretch where he attacked the basket and hit that 3 much more often

- Need TJD to show up this weekend

Re: Archie-Bruiser, was listening to a podcast that hinted that it was due to an Al/Brunk defensive gaffe when, for whatever reason, Al switched Brunk onto one of PU's guards. I don't remember the play well enough to remember if it was all on Al, but our upperclassmen are just terrible with respect to productivity, basketball intelligence, and leadership, and you simply can't win on the road in the B1G like that.

That also ties into Race, and I would agree with starting him now - as you noted, he plays smart. He's probably got the highest basketball IQ on the team (which isn't saying much in some cases). 

If it was any team but Purdue, this loss wouldn't be that big of a deal. *cue Bob Knight rant*

42 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Wasn’t able to watch, so if you posters can help me out with what happened that would be great. 

From what I gathered seemed like our guards were terrible, built a new wall for PU full of bricks, and our offense was just terrible. Seems like they fought hard for the majority of the game.

They doubled, even tripled, us every time we got the ball in the paint and we couldn't do much to counter it. We got enough good outside looks, but missed a lot. A lot of shots weren't even close. 

We had some bad turnovers, though turned them over quite a bit, too. 

56 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Cliff Notes version. Purdue was terrible offensively. IU was worse. Purdue won shooting 2-17 from 3. After scoring 20 first half points, IU started the second half 0-8. Purdue was something like 1-10 during the same stretch. Purdue won converting second chance points and TOs.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Any truth to the rumor that the chemistry issues are between the Indiana kids and the non Indiana recruits? And Archie siding with his recruits?

Had not heard that but I wouldn't be surprised by anything.  Race is not from the state but he is Archie's recruit and he seems not to have a problem with other players.

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd love to see us get 2 more recruits, ideally at the 2/3 positions.  I am talking about veterans who can play quickly (Transfers) or a highly rated freshman like Muhammad.  We need juice at the 2/3 positions.

Last night, Purdue clogged the lanes inside on defense and we had upperclassmen who couldn't shoot even a fifteen footer to loosen the D.

I would also like to see an assistant or two purged.  The staff is very slow to make critical adjustments.  Last night, they just wouldn't adjust on D with Williams having his way.  It's alot like the hedging nonsense against UM.  If you see something hurting you, we need a coaching staff that has an adjustment ready.  We've seen a lot of problems at the start of second halves, and changing approaches or adding a wrinkle etc to stop the bleeding may be warranted. 

I truly think Ostrom might be in a waking coma.  His reactions to Archie punching the clipboard out of his hands against PSU and Archie and Bruiser going at it during the Purdue game were almost comical.  Just sits there with that blank look on his face at all times, no matter what’s going on around him.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I truly think Ostrom might be in a waking coma.  His reactions to Archie punching the clipboard out of his hands against PSU and Archie and Bruiser going at it during the Purdue game were almost comical.  Just sits there with that blank look on his face at all times, no matter what’s going on around him.

Ostrom is there for one reason, recruiting.  Not a great basketball mind.  But he’s a great recruiter.

Well this was the most winnable game that IU never had a chance in. 

I understand this team has upperclassmen but the core and best players are just getting their feet wet in Big 10 play playing major minutes.  I view the core as Franklin, Rob, Hunter, Race and TJD.  I hope there are no issues with Smith and Al and they stay next year.   Purdue shot 11% from 3 and I think had a part in that.  I would not want to lose his defense. This team just struggles on the road.   Hopefully learning through adversity works for this group.  This needs fixed next year. 

I know RP got a lot of minutes last year but I have to assume he is playng with an injury of some sort based on what he looked like last season.  Read a lot rumors on these forums about groin or something.  We'll see.  It was crickets about Romeo's thumb until he had surgery.  Still I feel a lot better about IU when he is on the court.  DG, Al and Franklin just kill momentum when they run the half court offense more often than not with mind boggling mistakes.  How often did Al and Franklin fall down.  The sequence at the end of the first half with Al trying to get the ball up the court was embarrassing. 

I'm fine with Race coming off the bench. He got 2 quick fouls so didn't get the minutes in the first half.     I think DeRon has been better than Brunk in recent games yet Archie sticks with Brunk.  T. Williams is a good player and I think DeRon would slow him best because he could match the bulk/girth.   TJD looked like a Frosh when he tried to guard him.  Brunk was totally overmatched.   

Purdue was horrible last night except the end of the 1st half.  IU spoon fed them more at the beginning of the 2nd half and still almost came back. How do you score just 20 points in what 30 minutes.  Had they played like they did at Minnesota this would of been a win.  Hopefully the momentum they gained down the stretch will carry over to the nexxt and last road game of the season.  Maybe like the last 2 game road trip they will come to play in the 2nd game. 

21 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

We just scored less than 50 points against a hated rival for the second time in three meetings, and I'm seeing comments from IU fans who are ok with it because the players didn't give up. 

Heck of a program Archie Miller is building here. He must be quite the magician to have convinced Lander to commit, because I can't imagine why any competent point guard would want to play in this offense. 

Archie is only playing with the hand dealt to him and did you not see DG & RP brick shots off the backboard?  Guess that was Archie’s fault too but let’s all just admit these players have serious flaws wether it’s talent, lack of heart or just plain suck at basketball!  We beat some serious talent so definitely not the latter.

This team is missing the REAL Rob Phinisee, the one that showed so much potential and star potential his Frosh season.  It sucks that injuries seem to take away his aggression and confidence that made him a great talent.  I’m hoping this off-season gives him a chance to recover & regain that eye of the tiger but can’t help but think one more concussion just may end his career.  B10 is the most physical league and especially for guards that thrive on driving to the rack.  Here’s to a completely healthy JR season for our most important player!

7 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

They doubled, even tripled, us every time we got the ball in the paint and we couldn't do much to counter it. We got enough good outside looks, but missed a lot. A lot of shots weren't even close. 

We had some bad turnovers, though turned them over quite a bit, too. 

Was it me or did a lot of our outside shots have a lot of ARC, like too much ARC that had no chance?  I will say this, we are a horrible outside shooting team because nobody on this team has committed to becoming a shooter.  Vic Dipo was broker than broke and had arguably the worst shot I ever seen but worked his tail off to become respectable at his craft.  I want to hear stories about our players waking up at 5am to shoot a 100 free throws and 100 3 pt shots EVERY morning just like Vic Dipo did.  Any stories out there like this from our current squad?  Didn’t think so because it shows.  Lazy

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Was it me or did a lot of our outside shots have a lot of ARC, like too much ARC that had no chance?  I will say this, we are a horrible outside shooting team because nobody on this team has committed to becoming a shooter.  Vic Dipo was broker than broke and had arguably the worst shot I ever seen but worked his tail off to become respectable at his craft.  I want to hear stories about our players waking up at 5am to shoot a 100 free throws and 100 3 pt shots EVERY morning just like Vic Dipo did.  Any stories out there like this from our current squad?  Didn’t think so because it shows.  Lazy

Did the real Dan Dakich just stand up?

So I was having this discussion with a friend yesterday.  We scored 49 points on 15-59 from the field and 14-21 from the free throw line against Purdue.  If we had just let Green run down the court and shoot a three on every possession instead, would we have shot a better percentage/scored more points?

43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So I was having this discussion with a friend yesterday.  We scored 49 points on 15-59 from the field and 14-21 from the free throw line against Purdue.  If we had just let Green run down the court and shoot a three on every possession instead, would we have shot a better percentage/scored more points?

Green took over 25% of the shots (15) and had 20% of the made shots (3), so I’d say no. 

Archived