The Grilling & Smoking Thread

I also love to grill & smoke food. I tend to think that most only grill out in the summer months. I use my smoker and outdoor griddle top year round. There is just something about the smell of grilling/smoking food and an ice cold Corona with lime and salt that is relaxing and perfect. 

CC, I’m interested in a rib recipe.... 😬

Also, if anyone has a good Smoked Salmon recipe that turned out good.

• Like 2

Rain, snow, wind, sunny clear day I will fire up anytime. Even have finished up during a tornado warning. 

A big part of smoking for me is wood choice. Have settled on pecan or apple wood as my top choices with hickory or oak second.

Also, pork belly slab covered in honey, salt, and pepper makes really good bacon. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, Colonialcrester said:

I've been there but have never competed. I just do, or did, St. Louis Ribfest.

Took the family to the Chicago Smokeout last summer. Great time unbelievable food and good country music. Ayden is the BBQ connoisseur and we look for new opportunities to find great food. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Rain, snow, wind, sunny clear day I will fire up anytime. Even have finished up during a tornado warning. 

A big part of smoking for me is wood choice. Have settled on pecan or apple wood as my top choices with hickory or oak second.

Also, pork belly slab covered in honey, salt, and pepper makes really good bacon. 

I thought you were describing the weather on a typical Indiana day.   Rain, snow, wind to sunny and clear.  

I just picked up some pit boss whiskey barrel pellets at menards.  As soon as my hopper clears out the hickory they are going in.  Salmon and meat loaf will be my first 2 options to try.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I thought you were describing the weather on a typical Indiana day.   Rain, snow, wind to sunny and clear.  

I just picked up some pit boss whiskey barrel pellets at menards.  As soon as my hopper clears out the hickory they are going in.  Salmon and meat loaf will be my first 2 options to try.  

You smoke meatloaf? 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

It is amazing.  

I'm not a huge meatloaf fan... unless it's greasy and all that. Overcooked meatloaf I won't eat. My gf loves it though. I like my meatloaf with the ketchup and what not on top, but with Asian Zing from Bdubs to dip it in. So good lol 

So... do you have a recipe? I would love to try it. We smoked jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped pork loin this weekend. It was excellent. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not a huge meatloaf fan... unless it's greasy and all that. Overcooked meatloaf I won't eat. My gf loves it though. I like my meatloaf with the ketchup and what not on top, but with Asian Zing from Bdubs to dip it in. So good lol 

So... do you have a recipe? I would love to try it. We smoked jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped pork loin this weekend. It was excellent. 

I don't really have a specific recipe and usually toss something different in every time.  It's actually pretty hard to screw up.  What you recommend sounds amazing.  Just add smoke.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Electric smoker? or? 

I have a pit boss pellet.  The beauty of it is you can cook it quickly if needed or low and slow.  

I will say, about 2 hours with the meat loafs do the trick.  Just make sure your internal temp gets to where it needs to be.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I actually have two grilling areas. One on the side of my house where I do my smoking, as it has a natural cross wind. I actually have had people knock on my front door, thinking there was a fire in my house.  And I keep an umbrella close by for when it is raining.  The other area is just out my back door, for summers, and when it snowing, that I can bring a grill under the cover .

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to take pictures, but made a couple good ones over the weekend. 

- Smoked a pork loin in my own brine. Liquid ingredients were water, whiskey, and molasses. Mixed in some salt, red pepper flakes, garlic and onion powder. Kept it pretty simple but created a nice flavor. Rub was KC BBQ.

- Made burgers the following day, and got really good reviews on my Greek burgers from the in-laws. 80/20 meat (wife wanted 90/10 but I just snuck the better stuff in the cart), Greek seasoning, spinach, and feta. Mixed it all in with an egg and pattied them for the grill. Had a couple comments that it had been awhile since they had a good burger, so I had good reviews from a critical panel lol. (Not critical of me, but know their food very well)

23 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Forgot to take pictures, but made a couple good ones over the weekend. 

- Smoked a pork loin in my own brine. Liquid ingredients were water, whiskey, and molasses. Mixed in some salt, red pepper flakes, garlic and onion powder. Kept it pretty simple but created a nice flavor. Rub was KC BBQ.

- Made burgers the following day, and got really good reviews on my Greek burgers from the in-laws. 80/20 meat (wife wanted 90/10 but I just snuck the better stuff in the cart), Greek seasoning, spinach, and feta. Mixed it all in with an egg and pattied them for the grill. Had a couple comments that it had been awhile since they had a good burger, so I had good reviews from a critical panel lol. (Not critical of me, but know their food very well)

Good to see you back again. "Old Friend". Oh I do recall the times we talked about grilling out on John Decker's Hoosier Nation. He designated me as a mod. And asked me if I had any ideas who he should designate  as another mod at the time.  I told him... we needed some young blood.And suggested you. And Mr. Decker made you a mod. Then.... when Mr. Decker left the site, with no notice... it was you and me that worked to keep it alive.  Till CC stepped in. And started HSN 0.1

My how time has flown by. Not only a husband to a beautiful lady. But a father. Long way from when I first met you. And baseball was a major part of your life.

Oh, I have memories.  Again. Glad to have you back.

• Like 1