The Grilling & Smoking Thread

Smoked my first brisket with the pit boss.  Used these whiskey barrel pallets for the first time.  It's the best smelling smoke I've had yet and I've tried, the blend, hickory, Apple, and pecan.  We under smoked it at 200 for 2.5 hours.  Going to go for at least 3.5 hours next time.  Then foil wrapped and put in crock pot on low for 6 hours.  It was nice and tender, not enough bark but a good smoke ring.  Next time will be killer.  Whiskey barrel pellets are where it's at.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Smoked my first brisket with the pit boss.  Used these whiskey barrel pallets for the first time.  It's the best smelling smoke I've had yet and I've tried, the blend, hickory, Apple, and pecan.  We under smoked it at 200 for 2.5 hours.  Going to go for at least 3.5 hours next time.  Then foil wrapped and put in crock pot on low for 6 hours.  It was nice and tender, not enough bark but a good smoke ring.  Next time will be killer.  Whiskey barrel pellets are where it's at.  

I had heard about wiskey barrel pallets in the past. But forgot about them.  Gonna have to try them out this summer.

Pit Boss® 20 lb. Oak-Aged Whiskey Barrel BBQ Smoking Pellets 

Thanks for the post.  And thanks for being a long time member of HSN 3.0.

Stay safe.

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's it.  

Just for you. And the rest of HSN 3.0.  Just ran across this. As I am doing steak tonight. Trying to figure out a different way. Not whiskey barrel. But looks good to me. Can't wait to try it.

Steak with Blue Cheese Butter & Grilled Onions | SAM THE COOKING GUY 

By the way. Sam is hilarious. But does curse a lot.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 2:31 PM, milehiiu said:

Just for you. And the rest of HSN 3.0.  Just ran across this. As I am doing steak tonight. Trying to figure out a different way. Not whiskey barrel. But looks good to me. Can't wait to try it.

Steak with Blue Cheese Butter & Grilled Onions | SAM THE COOKING GUY 

By the way. Sam is hilarious. But does curse a lot.

Does he always paw everything with contaminated meat hands?  Guy must have a stomach like a billy goat.  

I will try this though. Looks good. 

Edited by mrflynn03

58 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Does he always paw everything with contaminated meat hands?  Guy must have a stomach like a billy goat.  

I will try this though. Looks good. 

Tried this one day this past week.  It was really, really good.  Mrs. mile loved it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So what’s everyone cooking for Memorial Day?

Trying to decide that right now before I head to Kroger. They've been running specials on salmon lately so I have a couple of those that I plan to grill....otherwise I'm not sure. Maybe it's the 500 or whatever.....but I've been really craving fried chicken lately. Haven't caved yet but it's so tempting. Anymore (at least at my Kroger) I can't really make a plan until I get there to see what they have available.

@FritzIam4IU post reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post for a while...

Those of you in the Chicagoland area should try Ream's Meat Market out in Elburn, Illinois. Best brats and Polish sausage I've ever had. Very wide variety of sausages. Might be a drive, but when I lived out in that area, it was an annual trip out there for summer holidays. Always ran into people from the city (50 mile drive) in there...it's that good...

And Randy Ream is in the Meat Smoking Hall of Fame (yes, really)...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@FritzIam4IU post reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post for a while...

Those of you in the Chicagoland area should try Ream's Meat Market out in Elburn, Illinois. Best brats and Polish sausage I've ever had. Very wide variety of sausages. Might be a drive, but when I lived out in that area, it was an annual trip out there for summer holidays. Always ran into people from the city (50 mile drive) in there...it's that good...

And Randy Ream is in the Meat Smoking Hall of Fame (yes, really)...

Wow. Elburn. We've had to cross paths at some point in our lives and not know it. Used to play golf at Hughes Creek, stop by Ream's when finished and head up 47 to my friends house in Yorkville. Legendary food there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Elburn. We've had to cross paths at some point in our lives and not know it. Used to play golf at Hughes Creek, stop by Ream's when finished and head up 47 to my friends house in Yorkville. Legendary food there.

Probably...don't know if you knew but they moved into a new building a few years back...

I loved the old store...like something out of the 1880s...

Bet @Reacher has been out to Reams too... He said he use to live in Sugar Grove right on 47 south of Elburn...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was doing yardwork all afternoon yesterday so just did some burgers and brats on grill. Today I am thinking grilled chicken and homemade potato salad.

Hope everyone has good weekend!

Just saw this yesterday! 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/tipsandtricks/15-easy-ways-to-make-your-potato-salad-even-better-using-things-you-already-have-in-your-kitchen/ss-BB14qOoF?li=BBnb7Kw#image=1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Probably...don't know if you knew but they moved into a new building a few years back...

I loved the old store...like something out of the 1880s...

Bet @Reacher has been out to Reams too... He said he use to live in Sugar Grove right on 47 south of Elburn...

This was back in the 2000-2005 years....so I got the original feel. Haven't been back in years but had heard they moved. Don't get out that far anymore when I go to Chicago. 

Well, after talking about it, we decided on bratwurst instead of brined pork chops (thanks @FritzIam4IU)...

You can't find a butcher shop around here that sells them (don't have room with all the varieties of smoked sausages, chorizo, andouille, and boudin I guess) so Kirkland Brats will have to do...

Did make up a batch of my pickled hot and sweet onions to dress them with...

IMG_20200523_162554.jpg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@IUFLA

You can tell those butchers to send me all the andouille and boudin and they will have space for brats. 

Those onions look great!  Love pickled onions. 

Love me some jambalaya. I have 2 recipients that are completely different that are even better with really good andouille. 

Would like to venture into making some gumbo. I have yet to find a gumbo I didn’t like and haven’t even been to New Orleans! My favorite gumbo is at Heaven on Seven in Chicago. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My favorite gumbo is at Heaven on Seven in Chicago. 

I'll second that and I've been to New Orleans a lot and Baton Rouge as well...

The Heaven on Seven in Naperville closed a few years back, but it was our favorite restaurant. The best gumbo, killer Chicken Voodoo Enchiladas, and their Shrimp and Andouille over white rice with ravigote sauce was awesome.

The one downtown doesn't have the same menu though...

Edited by IUFLA

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll second that and I've been to New Orleans a lot and Baton Rouge as well...

The Heaven on Seven in Naperville closed a few years back, but it was our favorite restaurant. The best gumbo, killer Chicken Voodoo Enchiladas, and their Shrimp and Andouille over white rice with ravigote sauce was awesome.

The one downtown doesn't have the same menu though...

I didn’t know Naperville closed. Did you ever try that Hot As A Mutha app there? It was something like jalapeño cream cheese stuffed in a fried jabenero. I had the littlest bit and was sweating for 30 minutes. Hottest thing I’ve ever had.