The Grilling & Smoking Thread

33 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Love me some jambalaya. I have 2 recipients that are completely different that are even better with really good andouille. 

Would like to venture into making some gumbo. I have yet to find a gumbo I didn’t like and haven’t even been to New Orleans! My favorite gumbo is at Heaven on Seven in Chicago. 

Jumbalaya, gumbo, cajun/creole food is one of my favorites.  Andouille is the x factor for gumbo but hard to get good stuff outside cajun country.

Gumbo is all about the roux. Have to stir constantly for 30-45 minutes but once everything is in the pot just let it stew and wait. And if you add okra, I always do, wait until the last 10-15 minutes or it will disintegrate.

When I started making gumbo I watched alot of Emeril Legassi.

Spent a summer while in college working in South Louisiana, Acadia and loved it.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I didn’t know Naperville closed. Did you ever try that Hot As A Mutha app there? It was something like jalapeño cream cheese stuffed in a fried jabenero. I had the littlest bit and was sweating for 30 minutes. Hottest thing I’ve ever had. 

No, I took them at their word...😁

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@tdhoosier and @mrflynn03 if you're ever in Baton Rouge, go to Parrains Seafood...

We go over for 3 nights every year for a horse show, and we eat there all 3 nights...

Well worth it...

Spent a couple weekends In the Frech Quarter. Wife wants me to take her there sometime.  Will put this in the memory bank for If/when we get a chance to go. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Well, after talking about it, we decided on bratwurst instead of brined pork chops (thanks @FritzIam4IU)...

You can't find a butcher shop around here that sells them (don't have room with all the varieties of smoked sausages, chorizo, andouille, and boudin I guess) so Kirkland Brats will have to do...

Did make up a batch of my pickled hot and sweet onions to dress them with...

IMG_20200523_162554.jpg

That looks tasty!!

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

@FritzIam4IU post reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post for a while...

Those of you in the Chicagoland area should try Ream's Meat Market out in Elburn, Illinois. Best brats and Polish sausage I've ever had. Very wide variety of sausages. Might be a drive, but when I lived out in that area, it was an annual trip out there for summer holidays. Always ran into people from the city (50 mile drive) in there...it's that good...

And Randy Ream is in the Meat Smoking Hall of Fame (yes, really)...

I have not been that way for some time...but next time I am nearby I will definitely check it out. I have my almost 4 year old daughter wanting brats on the grill ha.

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

@FritzIam4IU post reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post for a while...

Those of you in the Chicagoland area should try Ream's Meat Market out in Elburn, Illinois. Best brats and Polish sausage I've ever had. Very wide variety of sausages. Might be a drive, but when I lived out in that area, it was an annual trip out there for summer holidays. Always ran into people from the city (50 mile drive) in there...it's that good...

And Randy Ream is in the Meat Smoking Hall of Fame (yes, really)...

Chicago has a ton of great Polish Delis.  Once went into one. Everyone was speaking Polish. However one lady came up immediately to say... in English that they would have an English speaker waiting on us shortly.  Have no idea how she knew we did not speak Polish.

Another great Polish deli in Chicago :

Kurowski Sausage Shop

• Like 2

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Chicago has a ton of great Polish Delis.  Once went into one. Everyone was speaking Polish. However one lady came up immediately to say... in English that they would have an English speaker waiting on us shortly.  Have no idea how she knew we did not speak Polish.

Another great Polish deli in Chicago :

Kurowski Sausage Shop

Down by Lake Michigan's Oak Street beach they use to have a cart that sold brats and Polish that were excellent. They had this spicy brown mustard I loved. Tried all the store brands and could never find anything like it...

• Like 1

My in-laws live in northeast Indiana and every summer we drive 30 minutes to this place called Mister Bratz in Orland to load up on Hawaiian brats. They are brats with pineapple in them - absolutely amazing. The trick is cooking them long over low heat because if they burst a lot of the flavor is lost. So if you ever happen to be in Bumble-F, Indiana....definitely hit that place up. They have a whole bunch of flavors, but the Hawaiian is our favorite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

My in-laws live in northeast Indiana and every summer we drive 30 minutes to this place called Mister Bratz in Orland to load up on Hawaiian brats. They are brats with pineapple in them - absolutely amazing. The trick is cooking them long over low heat because if they burst a lot of the flavor is lost. So if you ever happen to be in Bumble-F, Indiana....definitely hit that place up. They have a whole bunch of flavors, but the Hawaiian is our favorite. 

Sounds wonderful.  Have been to Hawaii. However, can't recall having a  Hawaiian brat.

And HSN PSA.  Before heading out. I suggest calling first. As their facebook account is saying they are currently out of many meats, and running low on their brats due to increased demand

I don't have any in the house, but I am itching to make some baby back ribs soon (with some corn on cob). I'm trying to figure out what to make today...I might have limited options as I used last of chicken yesterday. Might just do  bacon cheeseburgers and dogs with baked beans and deviled eggs today, that will make kids happy.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sounds wonderful.  Have been to Hawaii. However, can't recall having a  Hawaiian brat.

And HSN PSA.  Before heading out. I suggest calling first. As their facebook account is saying they are currently out of many meats, and running low on their brats due to increased demand

Ha. Definitely not a ‘native’ Hawaiian specialty. When in Hawaii it’s poke bowls and fish tacos for me. 

....But back to grilling. Looking forward to having smoked baby backs tomorrow...weather permitting. I’ve tried a whole bunch of different ways, but smoking @ 215 for 5-6 hours with a spritz of apple juice every hour works best for me. (I just rub with mustard and some Famous Daves Rub.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Ha. Definitely not a ‘native’ Hawaiian specialty. When in Hawaii it’s poke bowls and fish tacos for me. 

....But back to grilling. Looking forward to having smoked baby backs tomorrow...weather permitting. I’ve tried a whole bunch of different ways, but smoking @ 215 for 5-6 hours with a spritz of apple juice every hour works best for me. (I just rub with mustard and some Famous Daves Rub.)

Very jealous of the baby back ribs! I saw an ad for the meat market I go to for them this week and have been seriously craving them. They are calling for storms here tomorrow, so today will be the last day grilling for me this weekend.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Try doing ribs with a pineapple marinade some time.  My son does them every summer for us.  To die for.  Can't find his receipe. But basically he marinates with fresh pineapple and pineapple juice for a few hours, in the fridge,  and then puts them on the charcoal grill... indirect heat.  And then with a spray bottle, sprays them with pineapple juice every 15 minutes or so, till they are done.

There are a bunch of receipes on line.   Here is one video as just one suggestion :

Pineapple Glazed Ribs 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Try doing ribs with a pineapple marinade some time.  My son does them every summer for us.  To die for.  Can't find his receipe. But basically he marinates with fresh pineapple and pineapple juice for a few hours, in the fridge,  and then puts them on the charcoal grill... indirect heat.  And then with a spray bottle, sprays them with pineapple juice every 15 minutes or so, till they are done.

There are a bunch of receipes on line.   Here is one video as just one suggestion :

Pineapple Glazed Ribs 

Recipe got me at ‘cilantro’. Gonna try this. 

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I don't have any in the house, but I am itching to make some baby back ribs soon (with some corn on cob). I'm trying to figure out what to make today...I might have limited options as I used last of chicken yesterday. Might just do  bacon cheeseburgers and dogs with baked beans and deviled eggs today, that will make kids happy.

Can I come over? Haha...actually reading your post I just changed up. I'm going to sneak in a piece of fried chicken (race day homage) but doing burgers with avocado/cheese and baked beans/deviled eggs later myself. That sounds really good actually. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Can I come over? Haha...actually reading your post I just changed up. I'm going to sneak in a piece of fried chicken (race day homage) but doing burgers with avocado/cheese and baked beans/deviled eggs later myself. That sounds really good actually. 

you can come over...bring some fried chicken with you!!

Started on replacing a fuel pump in my truck in April, then had a rib injury, finally healed enough to work on it today.  Smelled grill food, just waiting on parts.

So tomorrow I'm free and will be grilling steak or burgers, with parsnip puree and sauteed Brussels sprouts and broccolini.

Edited by mrflynn03
Spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I smoked some spare ribs today. I did them closer to 300 with a type of 3-2-1 method. I didn’t sauce at the end and probably should have cut it down to 10-15 minutes. 
I like to spritz but don’t have a great bottle to use. I always get the cheap plastic ones and lose them. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, tdhoosier said:

That is soooo north lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1