The Grilling & Smoking Thread

So I'll put this out there if anyone would like to try the onions I made above...my family demands them when I make brats...

Ingredients

3 medium white onions

1 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

3 tblsp either mustard or dry mustard

Cayanne pepper to taste (I usually go pretty liberal...tblsp or so)

I teaspn salt

I cut the onions in rings, but I've also chopped them in a food processor. Either way works, but the rings seem to saute better. Saute them with a tblsp of oil over low heat until they're soft.

Heat the red wine vinegar in a small sauce pan until just before it simmers. Add the dry ingredients and stir til dissolved.

Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions in a bowl or jar and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

The longer they sit, the better they seem to taste, and they keep for quite a while.

Enjoy 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So I'll put this out there if anyone would like to try the onions I made above...my family demands them when I make brats...

Ingredients

3 medium white onions

1 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

I teaspn salt

I cut the onions in rings, but I've also chopped them in a food processor. Either way works, but the rings seem to saute better. Saute them with a tblsp of oil over low heat until they're soft.

Heat the red wine vinegar in a small sauce pan until just before it simmers. Add the dry ingredients and stir til dissolved.

Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions in a bowl or jar and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

The longer they sit, the better they seem to taste, and they keep for quite a while.

Enjoy 🙂

Thanks for the share. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:20 AM, IUFLA said:

Probably...don't know if you knew but they moved into a new building a few years back...

I loved the old store...like something out of the 1880s...

Bet @Reacher has been out to Reams too... He said he use to live in Sugar Grove right on 47 south of Elburn...

No, not familiar with Reams. I did live there from around 1999-08. Never heard of it. Will ask some others about it

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone do the 3.2.1. Method 3 hrs smoke, 2 wrapped in foil, 1 hr resting.?

I have. Usually wrap meat side down with apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar and butter. I mentioned above that I’ve come around back to just 5-6 hours on grill because I like a little bite on them rather than completely falling off the bone. Also, something that I learned last year is that 3.2.1 isn’t for all ribs. Spare ribs are 3.2.1 and baby backs are 2.2.1.  

If anybody is interested, there’s a Facebook group that I’d recommend joining called BBQ Pitmasters Secrets. A lot of cool techniques and tips are shared by posters who range from casual smokers to chefs and restaurant owners. They’ll get into endless arguments about stuff like putting the fat side up or down on pork butts, but a good follow none the less. 

edit: @mrflynn03 the 1 in 3.2.1. isn’t for rest, it’s for saucing. You put back on the grill at low temp with sauce. Even if you don’t want sauce, you’ll need to dry them out a bit after the wrap. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No, not familiar with Reams. I did live there from around 1999-08. Never heard of it. Will ask some others about it

They don't advertise at all really, so I shouldn't be surprised...word of mouth I guess...

Pretty popular though...go on a Saturday morning and it probably doubles Elburn's population...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Has anyone ever had pork steak?

Yes, I make a pretty mean St Louis style pork steak...I thought I'd put my recipe (I cheat a little by simmering them in a combination of beer and BBQ sauce) but maybe that was another thread...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, I make a pretty mean St Louis style pork steak...I thought I'd put my recipe (I cheat a little by simmering them in a combination of beer and BBQ sauce) but maybe that was another thread...

I breaded and fired them, ate them with mushroom gravy. Very good. But we ended up with 10-12lbs of them from the hog we butchered, so I wanted some more ways to cook them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We do something similar with pork chops. They get a quick sear on the grill then go into a pan of beer and BBQ sauce. 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:04 PM, IUFLA said:

Ingredients

3 medium white onions

1 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

I teaspn salt

Enjoy 🙂

I made a batch yesterday with apple cider vinegar instead of the red wine. They’re very tasty. I put some on rib tips for lunch. 

035A33A7-ED1E-4D7A-9BA7-711022EBF3D8.jpeg

• Like 1

Smoked it at 185 with apple wood chips. In my brine I added a little chili powder to help balance the amount of brown sugar the recipe called for. It was a good call because the recipe I used was a little bland, but regardless still provided a good flavor. 

I used a KC BBQ rub on it. I was going to wrap it in bacon, but couldn’t find the bacon as I was trying to leave for work. Dummy me didn’t check the outside fridge where we had all the bacon. 

Wife said it was the most moist pork loin I’ve ever made. I don’t like dry meat, so it’s a win for me. 

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Smoked it at 185 with apple wood chips. In my brine I added a little chili powder to help balance the amount of brown sugar the recipe called for. It was a good call because the recipe I used was a little bland, but regardless still provided a good flavor. 

I used a KC BBQ rub on it. I was going to wrap it in bacon, but couldn’t find the bacon as I was trying to leave for work. Dummy me didn’t check the outside fridge where we had all the bacon. 

Wife said it was the most moist pork loin I’ve ever made. I don’t like dry meat, so it’s a win for me. 

What type of cooker and what temp?