The Grilling & Smoking Thread

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

What type of cooker and what temp?

I have an electric smoker and it reached an internal temp of 158 when I took it out. I wanted to take it out at 155, but when I got home from work it was at 158. 

I also wrapped it in foil for an hour after and let it rest. I left a little vent for fear it would get to dry wrapped in the foil. 

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

@IUFLA

Made the pork steaks tonight. Very good. I over cooked them a little, first time braising, but we did enjoy them. 

Yeah, got to be careful with the braising part. I use the lowest heat possible on my gas grill and as soon as they're brown on both sides, into the pool they go...

You said you were working with thicker pork steaks than I'm probably use to (here, they cut them about 3/4 of an inch) so getting them cooked through will be a bit of a challenge...

Glad you enjoyed them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone with a real good baked beans recipe? I probably need to check my family cookbook because family reunions are always on point. I typically go lazy and just get some of the bush grillin beans.

Here is what I do, and I don't measure anything, I just go by taste.

bacon(cooked about halfway)

green pepper, onion, garlic

brown sugar, ketchup, mustard

Sweat the green pepper, onion, and garlic then add in beans and the rest and mix. Then transfer to a baking dish and put bacon on top.

Bake at 325, I usually let it go an hour before checking.  Bake until it looks like, and has the consistency you want.

That's the main recipe but you can add or substitute whatever, like adding in jalapenos.

One thing i've been wanting to do is use maple syrup or honey instead of brown sugar.

• Thanks 1

Made 2 racks of baby back ribs last week for the first time in years. Turned out well...I think I'll start making that a handful of times a year. I do need to buy a dedicated smoker at some point...despite using offset heating on charcoal weber grill it was getting a little too hot for awhile and it took a fair amount of my time to keep monitoring the temp.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Made 2 racks of baby back ribs last week for the first time in years. Turned out well...I think I'll start making that a handful of times a year. I do need to buy a dedicated smoker at some point...despite using offset heating on charcoal weber grill it was getting a little too hot for awhile and it took a fair amount of my time to keep monitoring the temp.

I'm in the early stages of looking to buy a smoker myself. When I google it's amazing how quickly the price jumps. I see one at Walmart for $83 and the same size at Home Depot for $329. Trying to figure out what could possibly be the difference for 4x the cost. I grill often but am interested in expanding my game a tad. Similar to a crockpot I love the idea of putting food in and not having to think about for hours.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm in the early stages of looking to buy a smoker myself. When I google it's amazing how quickly the price jumps. I see one at Walmart for $83 and the same size at Home Depot for $329. Trying to figure out what could possibly be the difference for 4x the cost. I grill often but am interested in expanding my game a tad. Similar to a crockpot I love the idea of putting food in and not having to think about for hours.

So I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Electric smokers are good if you just want to set it up, and take it off when it's done.

I use this meat probe to cook to a specific internal temperature, and add wood chips every hour for the first 3 hours.

This is the model I have.  Has a digital time and temp setting. You can get this model on sale for $150.

There are a some disadvantages...you don't really get a smoke ring. True "meat smokers" will tell you you're just oven cooking outdoors and adding some smoke. But it's convenient, time effective, and I get pretty good results. I've posted a few pics in this thread.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Electric smokers are good if you just want to set it up, and take it off when it's done.

I use a meat probe to cook to a specific internal temperature, and add wood chips every hour for the first 3 hours.

This is the model I have.  Has a digital time and temp setting. You can get this model on sale for $150.

There are a some disadvantages...you don't really get a smoke ring. True "meat smokers" will tell you you're just oven cooking outdoors and adding some smoke. But it's convenient, time effective, and I get pretty good results. I've posted a few pics in this thread.

Wow. This looks perfect. Seems easy to use especially since I'm a beginner and based on photos more than enough room for small gatherings or larger come football season. I like easy. Maybe I'll graduate down the road into true meat smoker world but right now I just want to take baby steps.

• Like 2

Made my famous black and bleu burgers last night, huge hit. Mixed in the bacon and blue cheese with my favorite seasoning, Chicago Steak seasoning. My 3 year old even ate all of his, which is a good sign lol. Don’t like restaurant style that out the blue cheese on top, it’s better cooking in the meat imo. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I use this meat probe to cook to a specific internal temperature, and add wood chips every hour for the first 3 hours.

Thanks for the recommendation @IUFLA I will check it out. I am just like @Seeking6 in that I have been watching/reading reviews online and trying to figure out which direction I want to go (and I am new to the smoking process). I splurged on the Weber Genesis grill I bought a few years back, so I am trying to buy this one on a good sale or clearance. I have been dropping hints to the wife as it would be a nice fathers day gift, but I don't think she is getting the message ha. I have the Weber kettle grill as well, but it is the more basic one without built in temp reading etc., that I have had for about 7-8 years. With having good luck with my Weber grills in the past I am considering the Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, but not sure I want charcoal. So many choices...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Thanks for the recommendation @IUFLA I will check it out. I am just like @Seeking6 in that I have been watching/reading reviews online and trying to figure out which direction I want to go (and I am new to the smoking process). I splurged on the Weber Genesis grill I bought a few years back, so I am trying to buy this one on a good sale or clearance. I have been dropping hints to the wife as it would be a nice fathers day gift, but I don't think she is getting the message ha. I have the Weber kettle grill as well, but it is the more basic one without built in temp reading etc., that I have had for about 7-8 years. With having good luck with my Weber grills in the past I am considering the Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, but not sure I want charcoal. So many choices...

I'm a Weber guy too. Have a Genesis Silver A I picked up in 2004 when Sports Authority decided they'd no longer carry Webers. Got it for $144 and it's still going strong. Also have a 22 1/2 inch Weber kettle for charcoal grilling. 

Initially I had an Old Smokey charcoal smoker. It was ok, but I always had trouble regulating the temp for slow smoking. So, my wife bought me the Masterbuilt about 5 years ago (and I think it was for Father's Day) and I've been real happy with it. I do a mean turkey, and love smoking brined pork chops (I'm big on brining before smoking). 

With an electric, it's not quite the art form smoking gurus look for, but that's ok. It gives the meat a nicely kissed smokey flavor, and I can pretty much set time, temp, and monitor the internal temp through Bluetooth. 

Smoking for the busy man, I guess you could call it 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For charcoal a Weber smokey mountain is about a good as it gets if you dont mind spending the money.  Had a cheapo brinkmann for several years, and modified it and it worked pretty well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm a Weber guy too. Have a Genesis Silver A I picked up in 2004 when Sports Authority decided they'd no longer carry Webers. Got it for $144 and it's still going strong. Also have a 22 1/2 inch Weber kettle for charcoal grilling. 

Initially I had an Old Smokey charcoal smoker. It was ok, but I always had trouble regulating the temp for slow smoking. So, my wife bought me the Masterbuilt about 5 years ago (and I think it was for Father's Day) and I've been real happy with it. I do a mean turkey, and love smoking brined pork chops (I'm big on brining before smoking). 

With an electric, it's not quite the art form smoking gurus look for, but that's ok. It gives the meat a nicely kissed smokey flavor, and I can pretty much set time, temp, and monitor the internal temp through Bluetooth. 

Smoking for the busy man, I guess you could call it 😁

That was a steal for the Genesis grill. Was that a 3 burner? Don't tell Hank Hill, but I prefer the taste of charcoal grilling, but can't beat the convenience of propane.

I am seriously considering the electric Masterbuilt, I honestly can't decide.

image.jpeg.7982dda32b69e52672a753eecbf5ca8f.jpeg

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That was a steal for the Genesis grill. Was that a 3 burner? Don't tell Hank Hill, but I prefer the taste of charcoal grilling, but can't beat the convenience of propane.

I am seriously considering the electric Masterbuilt, I honestly can't decide.

image.jpeg.7982dda32b69e52672a753eecbf5ca8f.jpeg

For flavor. My go to choice is charcoal.  And depending on what I am doing.  Soaking wood chips for at least a couple of hours to enhance the flavor.  I have two water charcoal smokers.  Just can't wrap my mind around an electric smoker.  And you are correct.  Propane is easy.

Talking about easy.  I also have a Charbroil. Big Easy.  3 in one.  Roaster. Smoker. and Grill.  That I absolutely love.

Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill

• Like 2