The Grilling & Smoking Thread

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

So I'm a gas grill guy.  Charcoal is just too much work.  Now is it worth spending twice as much on a Weber vs a similar looking Char-broil one?  

To the best of my knowledge, Weber does not have an infrared grill, like Char-broil.  Weber makes a great grill. However overall, much more costly than Char-broil.  One suggestion. If you can wait. Many times gas grill go on sale at the end of the traditional grilling season. This is especially true of places like grocery stores, etc, that what to clear out space.

9 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

So I'm a gas grill guy.  Charcoal is just too much work.  Now is it worth spending twice as much on a Weber vs a similar looking Char-broil one?  

Just my experience...

If you want a grill that'll last oh, 4-5 years max, buy the Charbroil.

If you want something that will last 4 x that long, buy a Weber. If something goes on the Weber, it's been my experience that they'll replace it, no questions asked. I have a 16 year old Weber Genesis Silver A that the burner tubes had finally rusted out on last year. Called Weber, had a new set in 4 days...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just my experience...

If you want a grill that'll last oh, 4-5 years max, buy the Charbroil.

If you want something that will last 4 x that long, buy a Weber. If something goes on the Weber, it's been my experience that they'll replace it, no questions asked. I have a 16 year old Weber Genesis Silver A that the burner tubes had rusted out on last year. Called Weber, had a new set in 4 days...

Consumer Reports just rated grills. Their number one rated gas grill is the Weber Genisis II E310.... at $750.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thanks.  I was looking at the Weber Spirit 2 burner since we just need a small one.  Ace Hardware had for $299 a month ago but I missed it.   I think I'll wait for another sale.

I think this link will work...Target is apparently has clearance on these Weber spirit 3 burners that are showing a little over $300 in stock in Lafayette and perhaps Avon...if you type in your zip code and search it should tell you if there is one at a Target near you...otherwise, like @milehiiu said, Home Depot has a clearance sale on many of their gas grills later in season if you keep an eye open for that.

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=009-07-0412

• Like 1

Looks like I'm in the market now too. My Traeger smoker is 7 years old and the fan isn't regulating the temp consistently anymore. I was already going to update the control panel, but now with this new issue I'm just going to get a new smoker. Been doing a lot of research and think I'm going with a Pit Boss, which is almost half the price of a Traeger. I shared that 'Pit Masters FB group' a couple of pages back and apparently people on it love their Pit Bosses. And they have a sliding heat shield for flame broiling and built in meat probes. Kinda works like a gas grill and smoker all in one.   Anybody have one of these? 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Looks like I'm in the market now too. My Traeger smoker is 7 years old and the fan isn't regulating the temp consistently anymore. I was already going to update the control panel, but now with this new issue I'm just going to get a new smoker. Been doing a lot of research and think I'm going with a Pit Boss, which is almost half the price of a Traeger. I shared that 'Pit Masters FB group' a couple of pages back and apparently people on it love their Pit Bosses. And they have a sliding heat shield for flame broiling and built in meat probes. Kinda works like a gas grill and smoker all in one.   Anybody have one of these? 

Pit Boss is a better value for the money, IMHO. Plus... unless things have changed recently. Pit Boss has a longer warranty than Traeger.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

I'll try to get some pics up soon. Overall it went well..ribs turned out good. I made mac and cheese as well and it was decent...not as good as I hoped. My wife made potato salad and it was yummy. How did yours turn out?

I was pretty happy with mine. The pork shoulder has been great for lunch tacos!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:41 AM, tdhoosier said:

Yes.  I have that exact one and I love it.  My wife even loves it.  I got mine black Friday a year and a half ago.  Smoking deal, 10% veterans discount, and 4 x fuel points with Lowes gift card at Kroger.  With all my savings I think I was right around 300.  Traeger acts like they are superior but when you do the research, pit boss is constructed the exact same way with heavier gauge metal.  

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, NotIThatLives said:

My favorite so far is the whiskey barrel pellets

Question for you @NotIThatLives

So I've used it twice and the actual temp keeps shooting past the temp I set it at. So, if I set it at 350....it will go past it all the way to 400.....stay there for 10-15 minutes and then gradually go down. Does yours do this? It's not a problem with the internal probe because I'm getting relative the same readings on my external iGrill probe. 

It seems odd that it'd be part of the pre-heating process. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Anyone have experience with Napoleon grills?  They are pricey but have a 15 yr warranty. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZM9S3B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mVl9Eb2X646DP

I know you didn't ask for a comparison to Weber grills, but being they are, in my estimation, the yardstick by which all others are measured (and have quite a few fans on this site) I thought one was relevant...Napoleon vs Weber comparison

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know you didn't ask for a comparison to Weber grills, but being they are, in my estimation, the yardstick by which all others are measured (and have quite a few fans on this site) I thought one was relevant...Napoleon vs Weber comparison

Funny you should mention about many Weber fans on this site...I finally made a decision and bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 inch charcoal smoker today from Home Depot. They have 11% rebate going on through this week to match Menards (Home depot gift card) and I get 5% cash back for using Discover card at Home Depot this month...so I broke down and bought it. It was a tough choice between this smoker and the electric smokers many on this forum use, but ultimately, I was worried after reading numerous reviews online that the electrical ones experience many issues and don't last beyond a few years, and the Weber has a 10 year warranty...and I am already a Weber fan and know how they hold up over time. I am hoping to do a test cook on it sometime in the next week or so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Funny you should mention about many Weber fans on this site...I finally made a decision and bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 inch charcoal smoker today from Home Depot. They have 11% rebate going on through this week to match Menards (Home depot gift card) and I get 5% cash back for using Discover card at Home Depot this month...so I broke down and bought it. It was a tough choice between this smoker and the electric smokers many on this forum use, but ultimately, I was worried after reading numerous reviews online that the electrical ones experience many issues and don't last beyond a few years, and the Weber has a 10 year warranty...and I am already a Weber fan and know how they hold up over time. I am hoping to do a test cook on it sometime in the next week or so.

Let us know how you like it. Temperature regulation has always been my concern with charcoal/wood smokers, but I've read some reviews on the one you bought and it seems to be pretty manageable...and I'll cop to being lazy in my old age 😁

Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Let us know how you like it. Temperature regulation has always been my concern with charcoal/wood smokers, but I've read some reviews on the one you bought and it seems to be pretty manageable...and I'll cop to being lazy in my old age 😁

Good luck!

Ha. I was concerned about temperature regulation also...and my wife will tell you I am lazy as well.

So, crazy story with this purchase. I was unpacking it to assemble and the last piece I pulled out of the box was the top section...only to find out it had been smashed in, probably by a forklift. The lid was smashed in about 4 inches with paint scrapped off... and upon careful examination some of the other sections didn't look quite perfectly circular. I contacted Home Depot and it was the last one they had in stock and the manager checked and none of the other stores in district had any showing up in inventory. I took a shot and called Weber...and I will give them major props. The lady I spoke with was super friendly and went above and beyond to send me the 3 sections via FedEx 2 day shipping. All they required is providing them the serial numbers and a few pics of the damage and the damage on the box. This just makes me that much more happy that I chose a Weber product over some other brands...their customer service was outstanding. Provided I receive the parts as promised...I will continue to recommend Weber to anyone.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Question for you @NotIThatLives

So I've used it twice and the actual temp keeps shooting past the temp I set it at. So, if I set it at 350....it will go past it all the way to 400.....stay there for 10-15 minutes and then gradually go down. Does yours do this? It's not a problem with the internal probe because I'm getting relative the same readings on my external iGrill probe. 

It seems odd that it'd be part of the pre-heating process. 

Mine runs a little hot, probably fluctuates between 25 and 50.  You can adjust your pellet feed time.  It's preset at 4 and has a range of 7.  IIRC.  I haven't messed with that.  My manual has a range.  I think 4 feeds the pellets every 2 minutes or something.  

• Thanks 1