The Grilling & Smoking Thread

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Smoked a baby back and spare rib rack yesterday. Turned out great...used cherry/hickory wood. Also grilled corn on the cob to go with it. I always forget to take finished photos...but here is one mid cook.

image1(3).jpeg

You're definitely getting your money's worth out of that Weber smoker! Those look great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Smoked a baby back and spare rib rack yesterday. Turned out great...used cherry/hickory wood. Also grilled corn on the cob to go with it. I always forget to take finished photos...but here is one mid cook.

image1(3).jpeg

Mixed wood. I love it. Try soaking your corn on the cob in water for at least an hour before grilling. Longer is better.  Maybe I am telling you something you already know. And I like to leave the husks on.  Shuck the silk.  And then pull back the husks, and tie them.  That way they act as a handle for eating. Just let the husks hang over the edge of the grill, so they don't burn/

Edit to add this as a guide on the corn.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're definitely getting your money's worth out of that Weber smoker! Those look great!

Yep...so far I have liked it quite a bit and would recommend it to anyone looking for a smoker...I had to cut off the very end of the spare rib to make it fit (they were not completely thawed out after sitting in the fridge overnight). I had the pleasure of cleaning it out this morning ha.

On a side note...anybody who has a Meijer near them...I saw they are having pork shoulders for .99 a pound in the upcoming ad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Mixed wood. I love it. Try soaking your corn on the cob in water for at least an hour before grilling. Longer is better.  Maybe I am telling you something you already know. And I like to leave the husks on.  Shuck the strings.  And then pull back the husks, and tie them.  That way they act as a handle for eating. Just let the husks hang over the edge of the grill, so they don't burn/

Depending on my mood, I do it either the way you mentioned or I strip them down and wrap in foil after I butter and salt and pepper them. Both are really good on the grill.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Depending on my mood, I do it either the way you mentioned or I strip them down and wrap in foil after I butter and salt and pepper them. Both are really good on the grill.

Foil is good to.  Easier that way ! I agree. Can't beat grilled corn on the cob. Have had it three times this week alone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Looks awesome!!

Those poppers do look awesome,   HJ.

Here's a marinade found on the net years ago.  Said it was for steak.  It was ok.  Then decided it would go great on chicken. And it is great on chicken.I reserve some to baste the chicken while it grills.   It's what's I am doing for dinner tonight. And mixing the wood on my charcoal grill,  just like Fritz :

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 lemon juice

1 teaspoon salt 

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon parsley

• Like 2

Ooof. Got a brisket soaked in brown sugar, butter, beer and rubbed in black peppercorn and pink sea salt in the smoker. I’m hoping it’s drop-kick your grandma good but this is a new style for me with the sugar. Been in the smoker at 250 since 7am. Applewood chips was the choice this time.

I did a chuck roast in the smoker a couple weeks back and it was basically borderline jerky (yikes!!) when I pulled it out. It was in there 6 hours at 275. I need serious help with a chuck roast. The smoked baked beans was bangin’ though and made up for it. 

• Like 2

We hosted a party last night. Maxed out my Weber! At first, it didn't seem like my grill was heating properly. I had propane but thoughts were going through my head of all these steaks being ruined. I think the warmth was being blocked by the wall of meat from reaching the thermometer. When steaks were getting close to being done, the fat renderings caused some flareups. Now I'm worried about some getting burnt or not cooked properly. Was able to rotate enough in the last 2 minutes and think they all came out pretty good. Med rare and some mediums. Tasted wonderful as my wife seasoned (Weber Chgo Steak) and salted that morning. A few nervous moments for me but ended up ok. Served with salad, rosemary (from the garden) potatoes, green beans and bread. Had a bottle of Pinot Noir ready but nobody wanted any. Washed mine down with a 312.

20200725_174710.jpg

20200725_180243.jpg

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Reacher said:

We hosted a party last night. Maxed out my Weber! At first, it didn't seem like my grill was heating properly. I had propane but thoughts were going through my head of all these steaks being ruined. I think the warmth was being blocked by the wall of meat from reaching the thermometer. When steaks were getting close to being done, the fat renderings caused some flareups. Now I'm worried about some getting burnt or not cooked properly. Was able to rotate enough in the last 2 minutes and think they all came out pretty good. Med rare and some mediums. Tasted wonderful as my wife seasoned (Weber Chgo Steak) and salted that morning. A few nervous moments for me but ended up ok. Served with salad, rosemary (from the garden) potatoes, green beans and bread. Had a bottle of Pinot Noir ready but nobody wanted any. Washed mine down with a 312.

20200725_174710.jpg

20200725_180243.jpg

Those look great...and I love that Weber Chicago steak seasoning...I use it on burgers as well. No grilling/smoking for me this weekend...I have been busy staining the deck/shed...so I'm jealous! 🤤

• Thanks 1

what is everyone cooking up this weekend? I am smoking one baby back rib slab and some corn on the cob today. Kicking off the dog days of summer...

Side note: Meijer is having pork shoulders on sale for .99 a pound next week...I think I'm going to grab 2-3 to freeze for the rest of summer/fall.