The Grilling & Smoking Thread

18 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

what is everyone cooking up this weekend? I am smoking one baby back rib slab and some corn on the cob today. Kicking off the dog days of summer...

Side note: Meijer is having pork shoulders on sale for .99 a pound next week...I think I'm going to grab 2-3 to freeze for the rest of summer/fall.

I'm cooking today and was just looking at the ads.  Meijer is looking good.  Thinking slow cook carnita style.  

• Like 1

You are 

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Got some beer can burgers going today. Stuffed with cheddar, cream cheese and jalapeño. 

4C7235BA-B393-4988-91E6-61273E409818.jpeg

70B28D55-E735-4C29-8244-CA82C4FD1A3E.jpeg

42 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Got some beer can burgers going today. Stuffed with cheddar, cream cheese and jalapeño. 

4C7235BA-B393-4988-91E6-61273E409818.jpeg

70B28D55-E735-4C29-8244-CA82C4FD1A3E.jpeg

You are killing me Smalls. Those look great.

• Like 1

Did chicken (again) but on the gas grill. Didn't want to bore with a repetitive pic, but 2 things...

Brining bone in chicken breast for 2-3 hours before cooking makes it. I use a real simple brine of water, kosher salt, brown sugar, and peppercorns. Tender and juicy.

Also, my wife has been in this low sugar kick, so I used this sauce made by Sweet Baby Ray's. I normally put BBQ sauce on after I've reached 165 degrees internal temperature and continue cooking at the lowest heat setting for 10 minutes to get the sauce tacky (and you'd be surprised the internal temperature doesn't go up much). Most sugary sauces carmelize some. This one didn't, but still came out great. Not bad...note they took the "Sweet Baby" off the name...clever...

IMG_20200802_094034.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Did chicken (again) but on the gas grill. Didn't want to bore with a repetitive pic, but 2 things...

Brining bone in chicken breast for 2-3 hours before cooking makes it. I use a real simple brine of water, kosher salt, brown sugar, and peppercorns. Tender and juicy.

Also, my wife has been in this low sugar kick, so I used this sauce made by Sweet Baby Ray's. I normally put BBQ sauce on after I've reached 165 degrees internal temperature and continue cooking at the lowest heat setting for 10 minutes to get the sauce tacky (and you'd be surprised the internal temperature doesn't go up much). Most sugary sauces carmelize some. This one didn't, but still came out great. Not bad...note they took the "Sweet Baby" off the name...clever...

IMG_20200802_094034.jpg

I use sweet baby rays too most of the time.

No pics because I had a hectic day and was in a fog by dinnertime, but I bought a "weber wok" last week and broke it in yesterday on the weber kettle grill with a stir fry and lo mein noodles. I'll try to get a pic next time. I did use lots of zucchini from the garden...which was nice.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

No pics because I had a hectic day and was in a fog by dinnertime, but I bought a "weber wok" last week and broke it in yesterday on the weber kettle grill with a stir fry and lo mein noodles. I'll try to get a pic next time. I did use lots of zucchini from the garden...which was nice.

Personally not a fan of zucchini. But Mrs. mile is. So we put several plants in our vegi garden every year  for her.  And grow so much that we wind up giving to appreciative neighbors

Congrats on your Weber kettle grill.  Sure it will give you many years of useful use.... as have mine.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have grilled both.

I have too...Crab legs are cooked on the  boat when they're caught then blast frozen, so anyway you slice it you're simply reheating them...

I prefer steaming with salt water because it gives them that "taste of the sea." I've had them grilled where they are very good as well, but if they're on too long, they get dried out...

And I usually do grill corn if I'm grilling meat to go with it, but if not, I use my Mom's old method...Boil a pan of water with a Tbsp of lemon juice and a Tbsp of sugar...put in the corn and boil for 5 minutes...remove from heat and let them sit in the water for 10 more minutes...Mom knew what she was doing in a kitchen...

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have too...Crab legs are cooked on the  boat when they're caught then blast frozen, so anyway you slice it you're simply reheating them...

I prefer steaming with salt water because it gives them that "taste of the sea." I've had them grilled where they are very good as well, but if they're on too long, they get dried out...

And I usually do grill corn if I'm grilling meat to go with it, but if not, I use my Mom's old method...Boil a pan of water with a Tbsp of lemon juice and a Tbsp of sugar...put in the corn and boil for 5 minutes...remove from heat and let them sit in the water for 10 more minutes...Mom knew what she was doing in a kitchen...

Oh yeah !

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know this isn't grilling or smoking, but I think we can slip some steaming in here, can't we?

King crab, with corn on the cob, my wife's homemade slaw, and cold boiled pink Key West shrimp for an appetizer...

IMG_20200808_203429.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. I could eat that every day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Is that the wok that fits in the removable center part of the grate?

Anybody had the Tuscan Pork at Costco? It’s a bunch of pre-marinated pork tenderloin bites. You can get a couple pounds of it for under $20. We split it up into a 4-5 serving for my wife and throw it in the freezer. Such a bargain and really tasty. I’m throwing it on the smoker right now. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

How do you like that system? I’ve been intrigued but haven’t got one. 

Works great for me.  Also have a Weber grate that I can add charcoal on either side as I indirect in the center of the grill.  Flips up on both sides.  I know you are into grilling. I  highly recommend both for you.

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody had the Tuscan Pork at Costco? It’s a bunch of pre-marinated pork tenderloin bites. You can get a couple pounds of it for under $20. We split it up into a 4-5 serving for my wife and throw it in the freezer. Such a bargain and really tasty. I’m throwing it on the smoker right now. 

I have not, but it just got put on the list...I'm a Costcoholic...