The Grilling & Smoking Thread

53 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Question for all of you grillaholics during these CoV times did any of you go postapocalypse and buy a few hundred pounds of charcoal? 😜

I have 2 bags in my charcoal bin, 2 full propane tanks for the gasser, and enough wood chips to erect a replica baby Sequoia for the electric smoker...

I think I'm good for now...

😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Those look great...

I bought a Cuisinart burger press the other day that makes the stuffing cavity for you. I haven't tried it yet, but this weekend I was going to go extra sharp cheddar and bacon in there...

I make Juicy Lucys .  Burgers with cheese stuffed inside of them.  That burger press would be great to make them.    Guarantee you will like it.  Good eating this weekend to you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I make Juicy Lucys .  Burgers with cheese stuffed inside of them.  That burger press would be great to make them.    Guarantee you will like it.  Good eating this weekend to you.

I had Juicy Lucy's at both Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club in Minneapolis (they're always squabbling about who invented it) and while delicious at both places, the one undeniable lesson I learned is molten cheese dripping onto your chin is a painful experience...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I had Juicy Lucy's at both Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club in Minneapolis (they're always squabbling about who invented it) and while delicious at both places, the one undeniable lesson I learned is molten cheese dripping onto your chin is a painful experience...

The waitress said :  " Here's your Juicy Lucy.  Now... you boys need to understand you need to let it sit, before you bite into it."

History of the Juicy Lucy Burger: Minnesota's Unique Creation 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The waitress said :  " Here's your Juicy Lucy.  Now... you boys need to understand you need to let it sit, before you bite into it."

History of the Juicy Lucy Burger: Minnesota's Unique Creation 

I agree with everything he said, but, like Pat's and Geno's regarding Philly Cheese steaks, (and when asked which of those I prefer, I always say "the one with the shortest line" as they sit facing each other on 9th and Passyunk) I like them both...

Screenshot_20200811-100618.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with everything he said, but, like Pat's and Geno's regarding Philly Cheese steaks, (and when asked which of those I prefer, I always say "the one with the shortest line" as they sit facing each other on 9th and Passyunk) I like them both...

Never been there.  But have watched many You Tube vids about those two places.  Within walking distance of each other.    Guys go to one place and then the other to compare.   So funny.  Some guys prefer one place. Others prefer the other.  And while I know they chop the steaks differently... both look great to me. I envy you that you have been there.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Never been there.  But have watched many You Tube vids about those two places.  Within walking distance of each other.    Guys go to one place and then the other to compare.   So funny.  Some guys prefer one place. Others prefer the other.  And while I know they chop the steaks differently... both look great to me. I envy you that you have been there.

Before Covid hit, I had to go to Atlantic City 3 or 4 times a year on business. We always had to fly into PHL and then drive a rental (55 miles) over to AC. As there are 20 positions the same as mine across the US, they made us share cars (usually 3 to a car).

It's well known within that group that if you're riding with me, you're going to either Pat's or Geno's to, and possibly fro. I've had early flights where coming back we've had a cheesesteak for breakfast.

When I first started the tradition (around 2000), it was a joke among us. Now they always argue over who's riding with me.

Whiz wit...

My counterpart from Kansas City last time we went...😁

20180909_195224.jpg

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Before Covid hit, I had to go to Atlantic City 3 or 4 times a year on business. We always had to fly into PHL and then drive a rental (55 miles) over to AC. As there are 20 positions the same as mine across the US, they made us share cars (usually 3 to a car).

It's well known within that group that if you're riding with me, you're going to either Pat's or Geno's to, and possibly fro. I've had early flights where coming back we've had a cheesesteak for breakfast.

When I first started the tradition (around 2000), it was a joke among us. Now they always argue over who's riding with me.

Whiz wit...

My counterpart from Kansas City last time we went...😁

20180909_195224.jpg

In the beginning of this thread.  There is a perfect reason why the Philly Eagles have a jail, with a judge inside to their stadium.  Aside from that... a good comparison from a few  months ago :

GENO'S vs PAT'S: Best Philly Cheesesteak

And another comparison from longer ago :

The Best Philly Cheesesteak ? Pat's VS Geno's - Famous Philadelphia Food Rivalry

Edited by milehiiu

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

In the beginning of this thread.  There is a perfect reason why the Philly Eagles have a jail, with a judge inside to their stadium.  Aside from that... a good comparison from a few  months ago :

GENO'S vs PAT'S: Best Philly Cheesesteak

And another comparison from longer ago :

The Best Philly Cheesesteak ? Pat's VS Geno's - Famous Philadelphia Food Rivalry

If you read the comments, the commenters are all right...

Gotta go Whiz wit, bruh...

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I like how you think....I am of the same mindset...the one with the shorter line would be where I would go as well. I have never been to Philly, but would most definitely eat at either/both of these places.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Would be my choice as well.

And I understand that....if you do not order correctly..... you are sent back to the line.  Philly !

They absolutely will send you to the back...about 4 years ago at Pat's, the guy ahead of me gets to the window...they ask him what he wants. He says, "I'm deciding..." And very brusquely the guy points to the corner and tells him, "Well, go decide over there! The guy behind you is hungry!"

For anyone that would go, here are the rules, or as my cohorts call it, "The Speech."

Bring cash because that's all they accept

Know what you want when you get to the window. And you want cheesesteak. The only question is Cheese Whiz or provolone, and "wit" or "witout" onions.

Don't try to order fries or soda at the sandwich window, They have a second window for that. And they're not shy in telling you that. Loudly.

Sit back and enjoy the sandwich, and take in the neighborhood. Very east coast,  inner-city neighborhood. Basketball hoops right across the street from Pat's...just for us Hoosiers :) 

And I'll throw this in. The guy in the review said, "I've had better cheesesteaks." And that maybe true...But you're eating at iconic restaurants that invented the sandwich. It's easy to take someone's invention and "improve" it with what you like. Pat's and Geno's became famous for a reason, and sitting facing each other on that corner like two gunslingers adds to the charm...It's like when I went to Kansas City for a meeting. First night, I wanted to go to Arthur Bryant's...My KC counterpart (see above) said "Man, there are better BBQ places." but Arthur Bryant's became famous before every guy with a smoker got into the act. It's a little run down, and not in the best neighborhood, but the burnt ends and ribs were awesome. LIke Pat's and Geno's, an original...a foundation...I'll eat the improved versions, but I'll also always pay homage to the guys that had the original idea...

Edited by IUFLA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question was asked about stocking up charcoal for the pandemic.  Three years ago,my local  Home Depot ran a one day Memorial Day special of 20 pounds of Kingsford for $2.99. a bag, with no limit !  I bought a whole pallet, that they loaded up in the back of Mrs. mile's outback.  Still working on them.