The Grilling & Smoking Thread

On 8/30/2020 at 5:26 PM, IUFLA said:

USDA Prime Sirloin from Costco tonight...at $6.49 a lb, good stuff...

IMG_20200830_180544.jpg

IMG_20200830_181005.jpg

Not sure about your Costco.  But, our local Costco has the highest rated steakes in Colorado.  We have a local meat shop that gets their steaks from the same producer.  But charges twice the price that Costco does. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure about your Costco.  But, our local Costco has the highest rated steakes in Colorado.  We have a local meat shop that gets their steaks from the same producer.  But charges twice the price that Costco does. 

Kroger has New York strip for 5.99 through Tuesday.  I will say I'm pretty happy with the sirloin from Meijer when on sale.  Costco is too out of the way for me and my fam is too small.  

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Kroger has New York strip for 5.99 through Tuesday.  I will say I'm pretty happy with the sirloin from Meijer when on sale.  Costco is too out of the way for me and my fam is too small.  

Had a steak from King Soopers, Sunday (last night).  King Soopers has been in Colorado for years. Actually knew the daughter of the guy who started the chain.  Then they sold to Kroger.  So, now a lot of the products have Kroger packaging.  Mrs mile loved the steak I prepared last night.  It was on sale as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That's the thing about Costco...as much as I love it, there's no such thing as buying "just one."

It's a bushel basket or a 50 gallon drum kinda place...

True. About the amounts at Costco.  However, there are things that one can store up on, and use over time. We also get coupons fairly regularly from Costco, in the mail, on stuff we normally purchase. Which really helps out. I don't have a Sam's club membership. But was given a short term card years back. And found that Sam's Club sizes of " stuff" were smaller than Costco. Don't know if that still is the case today.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

True. About the amounts at Costco.  However, there are things that one can store up on, and use over time. We also get coupons fairly regularly from Costco, in the mail, on stuff we normally purchase. Which really helps out. I don't have a Sam's club membership. But was given a short term card years back. And found that Sam's Club sizes of " stuff" were smaller than Costco. Don't know if that still is the case today.

Excellent point. We buy all of our paper products at Costco. Dishwasher tabs, trash can liners/bags, dog and cat food, etc...I don't normally like to buy 6 steaks at once like the package above, because it's only me and my wife, and I don't like to freeze them, but that price for prime sirloin, I can't pass up.

And their gas is "Top Tier" and always the cheapest around (unless you're getting reward points from Kroger).

They opened up a Sam's Club in New Caney about 2 years ago. We went for the "preview" and decided we'd drive the extra 7 miles to Costco. Sam's didn't have USDA prime (they did have USDA Choice) meats and overall like you said, the stuff seemed smaller. That Sam's closed after 6 months (not sure why, but the parking lot was always empty) and made into a distribution center.

• 1 month later...

Was moseying through Costco (of course) today and found this...

Ingredients: Salt, Sugar, Cranberries, Exhausted Vanilla Beans, Allspice, Apple, Black Pepper, Garlic, Orange Peel, Rosemary, Thyme, Bay Leaves and Sage

PXL_20201101_191049950.thumb.jpg.66cd2c9014b6c713041796200603b969.jpgI'm big time into brining especially poultry or pork...even have 2 plastic buckets specifically made for brining...they have a slotted lid that keeps the turkey/chicken/pork completely submerged...this is the smaller one...

PXL_20201019_211526735.thumb.jpg.d5c312b662296a9dab30551030d41200.jpg

highly recommend brining. Always get told my smoked turkey is the best people have ever had. 

Sidenote: you have to find a turkey that isn't already shot full of saline solution.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My electric smoker took a crap when I tried to fire it up the night before Thanksgiving...my wife came to me this morning and said she'd ordered me a new Dyna glo for Christmas, but it didn't make it on time...so, old school it is...just a turkey breast, but this is how I smoked my very first whole turkey in 1984...

PXL_20201225_223559907_MP.thumb.jpg.f76381e92134c3c4d945f81ca42a6347.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

On 12/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, IUFLA said:

My electric smoker took a crap when I tried to fire it up the night before Thanksgiving...my wife came to me this morning and said she'd ordered me a new Dyna glo for Christmas, but it didn't make it on time...so, old school it is...just a turkey breast, but this is how I smoked my very first whole turkey in 1984...

PXL_20201225_223559907_MP.thumb.jpg.f76381e92134c3c4d945f81ca42a6347.jpg

My man, cant go wrong with a 22" Weber Kettle.  Does it all. And lasts a long time. Have had mine for 10 years now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My man, cant go wrong with a 22" Weber Kettle.  Does it all. And lasts a long time. Have had mine for 10 years now. 

10 years...it's almost broke in!😉

My wife and I have been married 37 years...we got a Weber 22 1/2 kettle for a wedding present (1983)...her idiot brother ran over that one in my driveway in 2004...the one in the picture above replaced it in 2004 as well...2 in 37 years isn't bad...

Have a Weber Genesis Silver gas grill I bought that same year that works as good as the day I bought it...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

10 years...it's almost broke in!😉

My wife and I have been married 37 years...we got a Weber 22 1/2 kettle for a wedding present (1983)...her idiot brother ran over that one in my driveway in 2004...the one in the picture above replaced it in 2004 as well...2 in 37 years isn't bad...

Have a Weber Genesis Silver gas grill I bought that same year that works as good as the day I bought it...

Love my various Webers. I've been happy with the Smokey Mountain we bought this year as well. I blanked out on posting about it, but I smoked a pork shoulder last month on it and it turned out good. Also smoked a rack of ribs on Thanksgiving that turned out well. I still have 3 pork shoulders in freezer we bought on great sale that I need to make in upcoming months whenever I get the hankering for some pulled pork.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Gettin ready for game day. .putting this 8 pound Brisket on at Midnight and it should be ready by kickoff...hoo-hoo-hoo Hoosiers!

20210101_141041.jpg

You doing that on your smoker? Look like a nice cut...gotta have pics when done!

I got a new electric (I know, lazy) smoker for Christmas...haven't put it together yet. Waiting til I get the extended legs and cover (Monday...ordered at Lowes) to use it.

Brisket may be the first test...

Edited by IUFLA

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You doing that on your smoker? Look like a nice cut...gotta have pics when done!

I got a new electric (I know, lazy) smoker for Christmas...haven't put it together yet. Waiting til I get the extended legs and cover (Monday...ordered at Lowes) to use it.

I have never done a brisket but want to try it soon...I'm going to need pics and samples from both of you.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Some call it lazy...I call it smart. It’s all about how the food tastes anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yes,its going on a Pit Boss pellet smoker...i plan on doing pics...gonna be up most of the night mopping it