The Grilling & Smoking Thread

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You doing that on your smoker? Look like a nice cut...gotta have pics when done!

I got a new electric (I know, lazy) smoker for Christmas...haven't put it together yet. Waiting til I get the extended legs and cover (Monday...ordered at Lowes) to use it.

Brisket may be the first test...

10 hrs in...gonna be ready for Kickoff..👍

20210102_094038.jpg

• Like 4

I bought the smoker above for that feature in the last pic...You don't have to open the main cabinet door to add chips, pellets, or water/whatever liquid you're using (and it does accommodate both pellets and wood chips) and lose all your smoke/heat. Also like that is has its own meat probe with the readout on the display above the main cabinet...And Bluetooth (although it probably doesn't stay connected for over 30 feet)...

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I bought the smoker above for that feature in the last pic...You don't have to open the main cabinet door to add chips, pellets, or water/whatever liquid you're using (and it does accommodate both pellets and wood chips) and lose all your smoke/heat. Also like that is has its own meat probe with the readout on the display above the main cabinet...And Bluetooth (although it probably doesn't stay connected for over 30 feet)...

After your brisket......

Prime rib racks have been on sale here. Might want to pick one up. Seer at 400-450 for 30 minutes and then drop down the temp to 200 degrees until meat temp is to your preference. Smoke in a foil dish...use the juice to make a gravy. 

It’s the absolute best thing I smoke. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

After your brisket......

Prime rib racks have been on sale here. Might want to pick one up. Seer at 400-450 for 30 minutes and then drop down the temp to 200 degrees until meat temp is to your preference. Smoke in a foil dish...use the juice to make a gravy. 

It’s the absolute best thing I smoke. 

Brother, I'd love to smoke a prime rib roast, but it's just me and my wife, and she's the kind that looks over every hamburger she's ever eaten with a jeweler's piece looking for that one sliver of pink, and if she finds it, it's goin back...and prime rib just ain't supposed to be well done...

Next year during the holidays it's a good thought though...my son in law and grandson like it medium rare...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Brother, I'd love to smoke a prime rib roast, but it's just me and my wife, and she's the kind that looks over every hamburger she's ever eaten with a jeweler's piece looking for that one sliver of pink, and if she finds it, it's goin back...and prime rib just ain't supposed to be well done...

Next year during the holidays it's a good thought though...my son in law and grandson like it medium rare...

Yeah...definitely can’t do that prime rib past medium. 

14 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Yeah...definitely can’t do that prime rib past medium. 

I had to go back and find this pic...this is my son in law...he's about 6'3 and 210 lbs with not much fat...my oldest daughter took this pic of him at Texas Roadhouse...think he likes prime rib?IMG_0202.thumb.JPG.3a68f743804c66ff97f02f6c5a067211.JPG

• Haha 1

No smoking this week, but I grilled some burgers yesterday for the first time in a few weeks in 30 degree weather...my wife made homemade buns and they turned out tasty. My six year old who typically only gets really excited at dinner for pizza or tacos was chowing down and a few times let out an "mmmmm mmmmm" so I took that as a win.

• Like 1

I will be getting a half hog and quarter beef every year from now on. Absolutely loved it. 

Pork steak, pork chops, pork ribs, ham, bacon, sausage, NY strips, ribeyes, sirloins, beef ribs, burger and cubed steak at my disposal whenever I want. I sell my mom the roasts... 7 of them total for like $70 so I make some money back there. 

Idk.. but I don't see myself every going back. Bought a griddle to go on my grill.. (eventually will buy a flat top grill).. steaks on there are money.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I will be getting a half hog and quarter beef every year from now on. Absolutely loved it. 

Pork steak, pork chops, pork ribs, ham, bacon, sausage, NY strips, ribeyes, sirloins, beef ribs, burger and cubed steak at my disposal whenever I want. I sell my mom the roasts... 7 of them total for like $70 so I make some money back there. 

Idk.. but I don't see myself every going back. Bought a griddle to go on my grill.. (eventually will buy a flat top grill).. steaks on there are money.  

I wish my wife liked pork and beef more, but she's more a pescartarian at this point. I like fish better than I use to, but give me a nice, think NY strip any day...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wish my wife liked pork and beef more, but she's more a pescartarian at this point. I like fish better than I use to, but give me a nice, think NY strip any day...

I have a buddy who will go to river and bring back a haul like this... at any one time he'll have 100lbs catfish filets in his freezer lol ... he puts them in freezer bags and they'll be 8-10lbs and he'll give me one for $20. Can't beat it. 

How do you generally cook your fish? We did some fish street tacos this summer... loved it.  

Fish.PNG

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I have a buddy who will go to river and bring back a haul like this... at any one time he'll have 100lbs catfish filets in his freezer lol ... he puts them in freezer bags and they'll be 8-10lbs and he'll give me one for $20. Can't beat it. 

How do you generally cook your fish? We did some fish street tacos this summer... loved it.  

Fish.PNG

I like putting fish on Yoshi Mats on my gas grill...I do a lot of salmon (sockeye or Atlantic), some snapper, and mahi...snapper grilled is great as a fish taco with cabbage and tomatilla sauce...

Catfish I like fried in a cornmeal batter...

I've been reading how to smoke fish on an electric smoker, but it's seems like an awful lot of prep work and time for, well, fish...😃

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I like putting fish on Yoshi Mats on my gas grill...I do a lot of salmon (sockeye or Atlantic), some snapper, and mahi...snapper grilled is great as a fish taco with cabbage and tomatilla sauce...

I've been reading how to smoke fish on an electric smoker, but it's seems like an awful lot of prep work and time for, well, fish...😃

We had a grilled fish sandwich at St Joesphs brewery in downtown Indy this weekend... jalapeno cole slaw. Shew.. it was good. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In my experience, there are only 2 kinds of fresh water fish that I liked grilled.  Salmon and walleye.