The Grilling & Smoking Thread

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@btownqbor anyone else ever done a haystack for breakfast.  That's what yours looked like and I'm hungry again.

It goes like this, hash browns topped with biscuit halves smothered in sausage gravy with scrambled eggs on top with a side of bacon and maple syrup all over. A fat man's breakfast. 

Make the eggs over easy and ditch the syrup for about 10 shakes of Trappey's Red Devil Hot Sauce and that's my favorite breakfast...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Make the eggs over easy and ditch they syrup for about 10 shakes of Trappey's Red Devil Hot Sauce and that's my favorite breakfast...

This is how I am too...I don't like syrup too much except maybe on pancakes or French Toast. I would probably go with chipotle sauce myself, but the rest of that sounded great and right up my alley.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, btownqb said:

Bought this over the weekend

Blackstone 4-Burner 36" Griddle Cooking Station with Side Shelves -  Walmart.com - Walmart.com

36in. So far I have loved it.

I love mine. It’s the 17” tabletop version but it’s tons of fun. 

We’ve tailgated with it a few times. Tacos are always great. I like to cook potatoes in the microwave the night before then slice and toss them on. You can add extras; I like onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. 

C2055B1E-752C-4FFB-8F5D-40ABD91E67CB.jpeg

88D940CF-94EB-437C-868E-04862169DBC1.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BeerBQ said:

We’ve tailgated with it a few times. Tacos are always great. I like to cook potatoes in the microwave the night before then slice and toss them on. You can add extras; I like onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. 

Looks awesome man!!!!

On 4/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, BeerBQ said:

I have the tailgater as well. I converted mine to accept the big tanks. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 10:56 PM, mrflynn03 said:

@btownqbor anyone else ever done a haystack for breakfast.  That's what yours looked like and I'm hungry again.

It goes like this, hash browns topped with biscuit halves smothered in sausage gravy with scrambled eggs on top with a side of bacon and maple syrup all over. A fat man's breakfast. 

Just now saw this post for some reason... I have had things like this before. Never made it though. It's good s***. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Ok what about recommendations on a good  well built charcoal grill? 

I don't have any experience with them...but a couple of neighbors have them and both went with Oklahoma Joe's brand. Look well made. I know they sell them at Academy Sports.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't have any experience with them...but a couple of neighbors have them and both went with Oklahoma Joe's brand. Look well made. I know they sell them at Academy Sports.

Same. I’ve always used the gasser or smoker. Knowing my superior ability to purchase what turns out to be junk, I thought I’d ask our HSN experts.

I bought some cast iron pans to have the ability to try different ways to cook on charcoal.

My summertime happy place is just around the corner. Poolside or lakeside makes no difference to me. A nice cool spot in the water during the day to a cold brew and grill around a fire in the evening. 

I plan to head to Amish country (Oden, Indiana) next week to stock up on some marinated turkey and catfish  to cook up for Mother’s Day with the in-laws.

I will check out Oklahoma Joe’s. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I've had a Weber 22" Kettle for about 10 years now. Has held up well. Cost me $100 at home depot. 

2 things I like best about it is its portability, and I can cook on one side and get my coals scorching hot for a good sear then spin the grate around and finish indirect. 

Can also get hinged or cast iron grates for it. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've had a Weber 22" Kettle for about 10 years now. Has held up well. Cost me $100 at home depot. 

2 things I like best about it is its portability, and I can cook on one side and get my coals scorching hot for a good sear then spin the grate around and finish indirect. 

Can also get hinged or cast iron grates for it. 

I will second this. Get a Weber 22 inch kettle and you will be good to go for the next decade for a $100 plus investment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

What type of cooking do you want to do and for how many people?

I’ll throw in another vote for Weber, but if you’re thinking only small groups or large groups it may be worth looking at an 18” or 26”. You can’t go wrong with the 22”, though. It can cook about anything as others have mentioned. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, Inequality said:

Same. I’ve always used the gasser or smoker. Knowing my superior ability to purchase what turns out to be junk, I thought I’d ask our HSN experts.

I bought some cast iron pans to have the ability to try different ways to cook on charcoal.

My summertime happy place is just around the corner. Poolside or lakeside makes no difference to me. A nice cool spot in the water during the day to a cold brew and grill around a fire in the evening. 

I plan to head to Amish country (Oden, Indiana) next week to stock up on some marinated turkey and catfish  to cook up for Mother’s Day with the in-laws.

I will check out Oklahoma Joe’s. Thanks.

I love using cast iron. I've bought Lodge pans and Dutch ovens, roasting pans, have a Griswold 8 inch I bought at an antique store. I nerd out over cast iron. Wont be long and some will be hanging from my wall. I cant stop buying them. 

Anyway, a well seasoned cast iron will do anything.

I've found that full fat butter, or clarified butter seasons the best. The important thing with seasoning is choosing a fat with a high smoke point. Bacon ends and peices and avocado oil work well too. But full fat butter gives me the best results.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I love using cast iron. I've bought Lodge pans and Dutch ovens, roasting pans, have a Griswold 8 inch I bought at an antique store. I nerd out over cast iron. Wont be long and some will be hanging from my wall. I cant stop buying them. 

Anyway, a well seasoned cast iron will do anything.

I've found that full fat butter, or clarified butter seasons the best. The important thing with seasoning is choosing a fat with a high smoke point. Bacon ends and peices and avocado oil work well too. But full fat butter gives me the best results.  

I love cast iron, too. I made a rack to hang some pans from in the stairway to our basement and have 2 pieces hanging in the kitchen. 
My favorite place to find them are flea markets and yard sales. 

• Like 1