The Grilling & Smoking Thread

2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I love cast iron, too. I made a rack to hang some pans from in the stairway to our basement and have 2 pieces hanging in the kitchen. 
My favorite place to find them are flea markets and yard sales. 

There is an antique store a couple blocks from my house I have bought some things from.  My wifes parents are hardcore into antiques, it's a side business for them. So when I find a cast iron I like I consult them. 

20 minutes ago, Inequality said:

So with the small amount of information I’ve gathered I’m thinking one of the two pictured below. The difference is one has an auto ignite system of some sort, a trash can below and a 6” longer prep table.

Thoughts?

076E52B3-3C15-4133-A5E7-F6D09C7BBA61.jpeg

AAE3258D-D084-4614-97D1-F26588C87D18.jpeg

My Dad has the deluxe one. He keeps the bag of charcoal in that ‘trash’ compartment. It’s lasted forever (garage kept). Of course the igniter doesn’t work any longer, but those things always seem to break over time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Inequality said:

So with the small amount of information I’ve gathered I’m thinking one of the two pictured below. The difference is one has an auto ignite system of some sort, a trash can below and a 6” longer prep table.

Thoughts?

I haven’t used the charcoal caddy or auto ignite but you can’t go wrong with either. I use a chimney starter and a separate charcoal bin so you can get by without them. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Inequality said:

Thoughts?

Can't go wrong with any Weber. Solid choices...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I haven’t used the charcoal caddy or auto ignite but you can’t go wrong with either. I use a chimney starter and a separate charcoal bin so you can get by without them. 

Haha! I had no idea that container under there was a charcoal caddy. Oops!

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I must admit. I’ve never used a charcoal grill. I’m excited to add one to my outdoor kitchen. 

The first turkey I ever smoked was on a Weber kettle. Turned out nice. First Thanksgiving we were married. November 1983.

The in-laws, especially my father-in-law who was a meat cutter and a pretty good BBQer, were thoroughly impressed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

Thoughts?

They both look good. If it came to fisticuffs me and Hank Hill would fight like Creed v Rocky. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

They both look good. If it came to fisticuffs me and Hank Hill would fight like Creed v Rocky. 

Agree with this. I love my Weber Genesis gas grill for speed and convenience, but charcoal grilled/smoked tastes the best.

King of the Hill was a good show though!

• Like 1

As summer comes up I’ll mention a new game changer I found. An oven at a low setting (about 170 max) will keep things food safe while stopping the cooking process. This means you can rest food indefinitely in it. As you pull things off the smoker they can wait there until you’re ready to serve it. 

It isn’t new, but I just discovered it and it made things MUCH easier. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

As summer comes up I’ll mention a new game changer I found. An oven at a low setting (about 170 max) will keep things food safe while stopping the cooking process. This means you can rest food indefinitely in it. As you pull things off the smoker they can wait there until you’re ready to serve it. 

It isn’t new, but I just discovered it and it made things MUCH easier. 

When I first started smoking meat I would wrap the in foil while resting but it just steamed them. Mostly just been timing my cook time since which doesn't always work out. 

This pro tip could be a game changer.  I may have to fire a smoker or 2 up next week to try it out!

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

has anyone tried to make nashville hot chicken before? I haven't but want to try this uniform out.

I have. But I bought the chicken from the grocery store and made the sauce. Turned out well. Make sure to put it on top of a slice of white bread and dont forget the dill pickles. If you like pickles that is. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have. But I bought the chicken from the grocery store and made the sauce. Turned out well. Make sure to put it on top of a slice of white bread and dont forget the dill pickles. If you like pickles that is. 

Oh absolutely 

• Like 1