The Grilling & Smoking Thread

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I didn't - I don't grill as much as I should (mostly vegan), but maybe I'll look into it.

Yeah, veggies are more eye test than temp... 

All the old timers (I mean, REAL old timers, not us 60 somethings 😁) poo poo grilling to internal temperature, but I won't cook any other way with most meats...

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I didn't - I don't grill as much as I should (mostly vegan), but maybe I'll look into it.

Do you eat bread? Honest question cause I dont know much about vegan food. I mean I've eaten it, bbq Seitian isnt too bad, hell I'll eat any except for bugs and barnacles.  Still curious about sea boogers(oysters)

Anyway, one of my favorite summer foods is a grilled vegetable Hero(sandwich).  I do put fresh mozzarella on it. But if you want the recipe just let me know. 

Edited by mrflynn03

On 6/23/2021 at 5:03 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Bought this miniature smoking tool. Figure I could quick smoke small things like cheese, jalapenos ect.

Anyone used one before?

20210623_170117.jpg

Smoked some cheese with it tonight to put on burgers with a tomato feta salad and sweet corn. 

I was hungry and ate it before I could take a picture.  And let's be real, wife was hangry and said let's eat, why do you have to take a picture of all your food!

Anyway, burger, smoked white cheddar, carmelized candy onions and jalapenos, and burrito peppers(I will make a post in the gardening thread about these) and fresh garden lettuce topped with a cilantro/lime crema.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

All the old timers (I mean, REAL old timers, not us 60 somethings 😁) poo poo grilling to internal temperature, but I won't cook any other way with most meats...

Maybe I just have feel for it or an instinct but I have never used a thermometer in the meat. 

Bought a meat thermometer for my wife last Christmas but only used it to check smoker temp. 

I will say I have come along way from making chewy oven ribs to where I am now. Food shows, books, and a passion to be the best I can be. 

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Do you eat bread? Honest question cause I dont know much about vegan food. I mean I've eaten it, bbq Seitian isnt too bad, hell I'll eat any except for bugs and barnacles.  Still curious about sea boogers(oysters)

Anyway, one of my favorite summer foods is a grilled vegetable Hero(sandwich).  I do put fresh mozzarella on it. But if you want the recipe just let me know. 

I still love a good plate of red meat, but my better half is a nutritionist and does most of the cooking, so about 50% of the days I'm a vegan.  I tell her if it tastes good, it tastes good!  Still love bread/carbs and I am a sucker for cheese.  

The new impossible burgers are tremendous, especially when seasoned well.  It scratches the itch.  When it doesn't, I hit up a local bbq joint ;) 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe I just have feel for it or an instinct but I have never used a thermometer in the meat. 

Bought a meat thermometer for my wife last Christmas but only used it to check smoker temp. 

I will say I have come along way from making chewy oven ribs to where I am now. Food shows, books, and a passion to be the best I can be. 

I have a wife and 3 daughters who are very particular about their food, especially any grilled beef...I use to go by feel/instinct, but a good instant read thermometer or my little iGrill mini has saved me a ton of trouble...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

We’ve had a lot of success with Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and zucchini on the grill. You can do them on the grate, on some foul, in a basket, or on a skillet and get great results. We do a little olive oil and any seasoning you want. 

I’ve seen but never tried tofu burnt ends. You cut the tofu into 1” cubes and season. Then put them on the smoker (or grill indirect) to start. Then toss them in a combination of sauce, rub, brown sugar, honey, etc. and let the sauce carmelize. 

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I cook pork and chicken to temp. Smaller cuts of beef I do by sight. Any big cut like a pork but or roast I do to feel. The probe should have no resistance when it’s truly done. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

We’ve had a lot of success with Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and zucchini on the grill. You can do them on the grate, on some foul, in a basket, or on a skillet and get great results. We do a little olive oil and any seasoning you want. 

I’ve seen but never tried tofu burnt ends. You cut the tofu into 1” cubes and season. Then put them on the smoker (or grill indirect) to start. Then toss them in a combination of sauce, rub, brown sugar, honey, etc. and let the sauce carmelize. 

Wrap asparagus with prosciutto and you will love it. 

So I was shopping on Amazon for an iGrill 3 thermometer to pair with my grill...I always look at customer reviews, but I have a complex mathematical formula I use...it basically boils down to 10% of the people who write reviews are, well, idiots 

Here's how the iGrill works...

Screenshot_20210629-130056.thumb.png.853ab17a257f73b6079355d935942d13.png

Pretty simple. Runs from the Bluetooth unit wired to the metal probes which are inserted in the meat and gives an internal temp to an app on your phone or tablet.

So one genius writes this...

Screenshot_20210629-125833.thumb.png.caa51a5dc2deb624a697a4e65f2b85cf.png

Yeah, I'm thinkin the wired probes inserted into a piece of meat on a spinning rotisserie is a bad idea...

And then this fella who apparently learned the same lesson the first man who dealt with fire did...

Screenshot_20210629-130029.thumb.png.a260b7c03ffd7e14b3dd1020c4d5996d.png

Yes...the metal probes (he calls them "tongs") have been stuck in a piece meat in what basically equates to an oven in the 350 degree range...I'd say gloves are a peachy idea...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I was shopping on Amazon for an iGrill 3 thermometer to pair with my grill...I always look at customer reviews, but I have a complex mathematical formula I use...it basically boils down to 10% of the people who write reviews are, well, idiots 

Pretty simple. Runs from the Bluetooth unit wired to the metal probes which are inserted in the meat and gives an internal temp to an app on your phone or tablet.

Yeah, I'm thinkin the wired probes inserted into a piece of meat on a spinning rotisserie is a bad idea...

And then this fella who apparently learned the same lesson the first man who dealt with fire did...

Yes...the metal probes (he calls them "tongs") have been stuck in a piece meat in what basically equates to an oven in the 350 degree range...I'd say gloves are a peachy idea...

DO you suppose that one guy actually inserted the probes into the meat and then turned on the rotisserie? Oh good lord people....   lol

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Woah! That’s an interesting cooking gadget you have there.

I’m a thermometer guy myself when grilling. Safety and consistency is the idea.

Got home and 10pm last night. None of us had ate a thing all day due to being super busy and on the go. Diced up some potatoes, garlic cloves and onions for the cast iron skillet. Threw some strip loin steaks on till 145 degrees.

We all took our plates and ate in the pool at around 11pm. Awesome finish to a hot and busy day. My 10yo loves to do stuff like that. Summer time fun at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You could try this 

https://meater.com/

Don’t have any experience with it but it seems it should work.

• Like 1