The Grilling & Smoking Thread

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

Woah! That’s an interesting cooking gadget you have there.

I've got a couple laying around the house. A thermapro I use to use for turkeys, and an igrill mini that I loved til I took their word for it and stuck the magnet on my Weber kettle when I was cooking chicken (melted the base all the way down to the battery...Hey!I should write a review! 😉)

I want this one because it's specifically made for Spirit IIs and Genesis IIs. Even a place to fit it on the right hand shelf...And I do like to accessorize...

Not like a Texan though...they'll live in a mobile home but drop 70K on a Ford F-250, then jack it up so far you need a ladder to get in, put tires and wheels on it that'll void the warranty faster than you can say "Edsel" and finish it off with illegal tint that'll soon bubble and those cool under lights...

THAT, my friend, is accessorizing...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've got a couple laying around the house. A thermapro I use to use for turkeys, and an igrill mini that I loved til I took their word for it and stuck the magnet on my Weber kettle when I was cooking chicken (melted the base all the way down to the battery...Hey!I should write a review! 😉)

I want this one because it's specifically made for Spirit IIs and Genesis IIs. Even a place to fit it on the right hand shelf...And I do like to accessorize...

Not like a Texan though...they'll live in a mobile home but drop 70K on a Ford F-250, then jack it up so far you need a ladder to get in, put tires and wheels on it that'll void the warranty faster than you can say "Edsel" and finish it off with illegal tint that'll soon bubble and those cool under lights...

Hey I have a friend nicknamed Edsel, I can personally attest that you can put 3 half kegs in the trunk of an Edsel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Hey I have a friend nicknamed Edsel, I can personally attest that you can put 3 half kegs in the trunk of an Edsel!

Did you watch any of The History Channel's "The Cars That Made America"?

They had a segment on Edsel, his son, Henry Ford Jr, and the automotive " icon" Henry Jr built to honor his father...

One of the bigger mistakes in automotive history...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@IUFLA

Bought the wife a digital meat thermometer for Christmas.  I have used it to check my smoker temps. Turns out once my fire is going I can keep a steady 250 pretty easily.  

Also, things cook alot faster than I thought they did. 

👍 Best way to do it...just make sure you never get that thing touching a bone...I almost pulled a prime rib way too soon because my thermometer was resting on a bone...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

👍 Best way to do it...just make sure you never get that thing touching a bone...I almost pulled a prime rib way too soon because my thermometer was resting on a bone...

Cooked some salmon not long ago. Figured it would take 20 mins or so. Was done in 10. 

Also, one thing we learned not long ago when cooking fish, put it in a cold oven, then turn the oven on. Keeps the outer part from drying out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Cooked some salmon not long ago. Figured it would take 20 mins or so. Was done in 10. 

Also, one thing we learned not long ago when cooking fish, put it in a cold oven, then turn the oven on. Keeps the outer part from drying out. 

What kind of salmon?

I usually cook coho or sockeye, but I like Atlantic salmon too, even though they're almost all farm raised...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What kind of salmon?

I usually cook coho or sockeye, but I like Atlantic salmon too, even though they're almost all farm raised...

I think this was Scottish Salmon.  Which I think is Atlantic.  

We usually get what's on sale. 

And Aldi, if you have that has some great frozen salmon.  

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Paint the frame in a contrasting color. Never forget the frame paint!!

Just now, btownqb said:

I've never cooked Coho, at all. Pan sear first, finish on grill?

I think that's the way I'd do it...Coho is thin, so I wouldn't leave it to sear too long...

I always do both Coho and Sockeye on cedar planks on the grill...Like the smoky flavor it gives...

4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

We had to improvise. Storms are rolling through southern Indiana today. 

FFE1A897-5C95-4E97-9A53-D715445E0FDF.jpeg

I once grilled through a Tornado warning.  Weather was fine when I started the grill, as soon as I got my steaks on it started rolling in.  Rolled the grill to the front of the house for a windbreak and kept at it.

• Like 2