The Grilling & Smoking Thread

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mile used to talk about Copper River salmon...miss that guy...

Costco occasionally has it at a pretty good price...

One cooking method Ive used the last few times, put salmon on an oiled sheet pan and put in cold oven.  Then insert meat thermometer.   Turn oven to 400.  Takes about 10-15 minutes in mine.  I roast a couple lemon halves with it to squeeze over the top.  As much as I like the grill, this method is so easy and foolproof.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 4:41 PM, BeerBQ said:

Some brisket and pig shots. That’s sausage wrapped in bacon filled with cream cheese with a peach habanero glaze. 
Ive read about smoking cream cheese so I gave that a try, too. Waiting to see how it tastes. 

1B696905-1B58-4A2B-8D6C-C03353097CC9.jpeg

F5916250-96BC-4DFA-B351-BD1112A8AD66.jpeg

I’ve smoked a pork loin stuffed with cream cheese and red peppers, then wrapped in bacon and glazed with red Chile honey. It was deliciously satisfying as seeing the look on a Purdue coed’s face when the buffet is closed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’ve smoked a pork loin stuffed with cream cheese and red peppers, then wrapped in bacon and glazed with red Chile honey. It was deliciously satisfying as seeing the look on a Purdue coed’s face when the buffet is closed. 

That sounds fantastic. What kind of red peppers?

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That looks great...boneless?

What did you use for the brine and season it with?

Yes, boneless.

Water

Kosher salt

Thyme 

Oregano

Basil

Fennell

Garlic

Sugar

Brought it to a boil then let it cool down to room temperature. Chicken marinated in it for about 2 hours 

Cooked on 425 degree grill for about 11-12 minutes then wrapped in foil off the grill another 10

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, IUFLA said:

Mile used to talk about Copper River salmon...miss that guy...

Costco occasionally has it at a pretty good price...

Mile was also adamant about warning people against using the standard wire grill brushes. They can be dangerous when the wires come off. A safer option is to use a ball of foil. 

He posted it about every summer and he’s absolutely correct. 

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I stick with traditional for Thanksgiving.  Turkey gets roasted in an electric roaster.

I know alot of people don't like Turkey.  I've smoked it, fried it, oven roasted. 

But my electric roaster method is bomb.  

Yeah, I admit, I'm not a huge turkey person....but I typically eat a couple slices for Thanksgiving dinner and a sandwich with the leftovers that night. It is why I am making a small brisket as well.

9 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah, I admit, I'm not a huge turkey person....but I typically eat a couple slices for Thanksgiving dinner and a sandwich with the leftovers that night. It is why I am making a small brisket as well.

I dry brine my turkey, fill the cavity with lemons, onion, garlic, fresh sage and thyme.  Put a couple slabs of butter under the skin on the breasts.  Rub the whole thing with olive oil and pour a can of chicken stock in the roaster pan. 

Now that I think of it, takes alot to make turkey taste good. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bought this one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond the other day...

image.png.61001f6519b448c515f3736356782a2b.png

No, I'd better use the smoker my wife bought me...She reminds me what she paid for it all the time :D 

When it comes to smoking, the wood choice is critical. I take my wood choices seriously.

I can't stand mesquite or hickory. Maybe for beef. But I mostly deal with pork and chicken.

I like oak and apple for pork. 

Pecan and cherry, and apple for birds. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When it comes to smoking, the wood choice is critical. I take my wood choices seriously.

I can't stand mesquite or hickory. Maybe for beef. But I mostly deal with pork and chicken.

I do like the milder fruit woods for Turkey...going with an orange/cherry mix this year...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We cut a pear tree down this fall. I kept a fair amount of the wood for trying pear wood sometime when I smoke. I tend to like cherry/apple woods for chicken and pork.

• Like 2