The Grilling & Smoking Thread

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do like the milder fruit woods for Turkey...going with an orange/cherry mix this year...

I know people call it piss wood but had a good source for red oak for awhile.  And white oak. 

If I need a tree, I have the farm and the tools to play lumberjack.  

I've felled trees and cut them up into firewood.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dry brine my turkey, fill the cavity with lemons, onion, garlic, fresh sage and thyme.  Put a couple slabs of butter under the skin on the breasts.  Rub the whole thing with olive oil and pour a can of chicken stock in the roaster pan. 

Now that I think of it, takes alot to make turkey taste good. 

Whatever Odon Locker marinates their turkey in is enough for me.  I could eat that stuff 3-4 times a week for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've been there a few times.  I'm only 12 minutes away. I may have to try them.

Marinated turkey strips...absolutely fantastic on the grill, but spray them good before you put them on.  That delicious marinade really likes to stick to the grill, but it's so worth the trouble.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Marinated turkey strips...absolutely fantastic on the grill, but spray them good before you put them on.  That delicious marinade really likes to stick to the grill, but it's so worth the trouble.

May have to make a trip there soon. 

Sad the Ghrahm cheese farm went out of business.

I don't know if you knew Mrs. Graham as a teacher. She taught history.  We got along but she hated my grandma Prewitt, and Rustin because after he dropped out of school was tossing water balloons into open windows and hit Mrs. Graham in the back of the head. 

I don't know how she knew I was part of that Family but we got along well.

40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Whatever Odon Locker marinates their turkey in is enough for me.  I could eat that stuff 3-4 times a week for the rest of my life.

We love that marinated turkey here. We go there and stock up a couple times a year. Usually first of spring for grilling season.

It turns out really well on the griddle top. We usually do some smoked baked beans or cabbage with it. Chased down with an Ultra or Corona is a great evening.

Btw, for those of you that cook with a griddle top or even those cast iron lodge pans, coconut oil is the best anti-stick that I’ve used. I do a lot of charcoal and lodge pan cooking lately.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Inequality said:

We love that marinated turkey here. We go there and stock up a couple times a year. Usually first of spring for grilling season.

It turns out really well on the griddle top. We usually do some smoked baked beans or cabbage with it. Chased down with an Ultra or Corona is a great evening.

Btw, for those of you that cook with a griddle top or even those cast iron lodge pans, coconut oil is the best anti-stick that I’ve used. I do a lot of charcoal and lodge pan cooking lately.

Dedicated griddle for grilling is on my list. Maybe next season.

I have used Weber cast iron wok and other cast iron on the grill for various things and it is a nice change of pace.

Just stocked up on Ultras today...

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When it comes to grilling or smoking, it's lump charcoal and/ or wood.

Briquettes can suck it. 

Propane is a no go. Sorry Hank Hill and propane and accessories.

I definitely prefer charcoal or charcoal/wood mix for taste, but I must admit, I use the gas grills too for convenience if I am in a hurry. But for years, I only grilled with charcoal (although I used both lump and briquettes).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I definitely prefer charcoal or charcoal/wood mix for taste, but I must admit, I use the gas grills too for convenience if I am in a hurry. But for years, I only grilled with charcoal (although I used both lump and briquettes).

I've come a long way with grilling and smoking. 

When I first really started, my food was under or over cooked and  tasted like lighter fluid.😳

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Mr Turkey's in the smoker...

PXL_20211125_125404476.thumb.jpg.baa7a2e3301464cb28b398f86761a529.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Do you always smoke a Thanksgiving turkey?  

I've done it once when I was coming off a 12 hr night shift.  Got home, started the smoker, got the bird on, took little naps, had a delicious Thanksgiving meal and went to work at 6pm for another night shift.  

I could not pull that off again and I'm only 36. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Do you always smoke a Thanksgiving turkey?  

I've done it once when I was coming off a 12 hr night shift.  Got home, started the smoker, got the bird on, took little naps, had a delicious Thanksgiving meal and went to work at 6pm for another night shift.  

I could not pull that off again and I'm only 36. 

Yessir, for the past 12 years or so straight, and intermittently before that...

Last year my smoker conked out on Thanksgiving eve and I was supposed to bring it to my youngest daughters house over in San Marcos...so I put it in a roaster, ran an extension cord through the back window of our truck as it has an outlet in the bed, and had it like 2/3rds done by the time we got there (3 1/2 hour drive)...

Hence, the new Dyna-Glo 😁...my wife wasn't gonna go another Thanksgiving with a smoked turkey...

• Like 2