The Grilling & Smoking Thread

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yessir, for the past 12 years or so straight, and intermittently before that...

Last year my smoker conked out on Thanksgiving eve and I was supposed to bring it to my youngest daughters house over in San Marcos...so I put it in a roaster, ran an extension cord through the back window of our truck as it has an outlet in the bed, and had it like 2/3rds done by the time we got there (3 1/2 hour drive)...

Hence, the new Dyna-Glo 😁...my wife wasn't gonna go another Thanksgiving with a smoked turkey...

My wife liked the smoked turkey but it wasn't traditional.

I refuse to do a turkey in the oven. I've deep fried it, smoked it, everything under the sun. 

Electric roaster is my bag. Self basting, and I use the drippings and stock to make a bomb ass gravy. 

So, how do you do gravy? Without gravy the meal is a bust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I refuse to do a turkey in the oven. I've deep fried it, smoked it, everything under the sun. 

Electric roaster is my bag. Self basting, and I use the drippings and stock to make a bomb ass gravy. 

I have a drip pan under the turkey...My wife conjures the gravy from that...She's a great cook...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Game on. Brisket and Turkey breast in the smokey mountain/kettle.

Cherry wood for the brisket and apple/cherry turkey.

image2(2).jpeg

image1(12).jpeg

That looks great! 

I ended up using Kingsford Competition Pellets...Maple, cherry, and apple mix...My smoker handles both the pellets and the wood chips, but with the pellets I fill the tray about 3/4ths full and get smoke for the first 5 hours (which is about that I want)...Chips I gotta refill about every hour...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That looks great! 

I ended up using Kingsford Competition Pellets...Maple, cherry, and apple mix...My smoker handles both the pellets and the wood chips, but with the pellets I fill the tray about 3/4ths full and get smoke for the first 5 hours (which is about that I want)...Chips I gotta refill about every hour...

I went Texas style on the brisket...4 parts pepper to 1 part salt for the rub...

I never tried Maple...let me know how it turns out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

How you liking the new smoker anyway?

Great...the Bluetooth is only good for about 30 feet, so I just take a little Samsung tablet I have and set it out on the patio to monitor the probe temp...

They're starting to come out with smokers that hook up to your wifi and expands the range...

Here's Dyno-Glo's app...

Screenshot_20211125-121732.thumb.png.1449cf10c3abcd4def6abdb226301f8f.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have been waiting to see what all you had smoking today too! I understand how family can influence dinner...have a good Thanksgiving!

You too!

I always take off thanksgiving but I also always cook something for the Super Bowl. 
What cookers are you putting everything on?

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

You too!

I always take off thanksgiving but I also always cook something for the Super Bowl. 
What cookers are you putting everything on?

I have the turkey on the kettle around 300 degrees and the brisket on the Smokey Mountain around 250-260. Getting close now...turkey almost ready. Internal temp pushing 160.

image1(13).jpeg

image0(21).jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have the turkey on the kettle around 300 degrees and the brisket on the Smokey Mountain around 250-260. Getting close now...turkey almost ready. Internal temp pushing 160.

image1(13).jpeg

image0(21).jpeg

A kettle (or kettles) and the WSM make a great combination. Both are looking good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My grill is being used for other foods later. Anyone ever crockpot wings? Reading a recipe right now and much like everything with a crockpot it can't be this easy, right? 

Neighborhood Christmas party. Everything I'm seeing is basically pick your sauces you like. Cover them. Put in crock for 3-4 hours on low and call it a day?

I swear I might end up starting a tv show about crockpot cooking for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My grill is being used for other foods later. Anyone ever crockpot wings? Reading a recipe right now and much like everything with a crockpot it can't be this easy, right? 

Neighborhood Christmas party. Everything I'm seeing is basically pick your sauces you like. Cover them. Put in crock for 3-4 hours on low and call it a day?

I swear I might end up starting a tv show about crockpot cooking for pennies on the dollar.

My wife does them that way sometimes...Not crispy, but very tender and flavorful...

The first time she made them was back in about 84 when we were going to a Christmas Party my Air Traffic (USAF) crew was having...We were kinda poor then, and at that time, wings weren't the premium they are today...really cheap at that time...

I remember because at the same party my boss (from Nebraska as luck would have it) brought Mountain Oysters...I knew what they were immediately, and asked him if my guess was right...got a sly smile in return and he told me not to tell anybody...I told my wife though...didn't want to be divorced after a year over bull nuts 🤥

He didn't tell anyone until everyone had eaten (and almost everybody had tried them...wives included)...That was one of the funniest scenes ever... :o 

But my wife did get a lot of compliments on her wings :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My wife does them that way sometimes...Not crispy, but very tender and flavorful...

The first time she made them was back in about 84 when we were going to a Christmas Party my Air Traffic (USAF) crew was having...We were kinda poor then, and at that time, wings weren't the premium they are today...really cheap at that time...

I remember because at the same party my boss (from Nebraska as luck would have it) brought Mountain Oysters...I knew what they were immediately, and asked him if my guess was right...got a sly smile in return and he told me not to tell anybody...I told my wife though...didn't want to be divorced after a year over bull nuts 🤥

He didn't tell anyone until everyone had eaten (and almost everybody had tried them...wives included)...That was one of the funniest scenes ever... :o 

But my wife did get a lot of compliments on her wings :D 

One recipe I saw said to broil at end for a bit to give them the crispness. I'm going to give it a go...hopefully they just don't fall off the bone!

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One recipe I saw said to broil at end for a bit to give them the crispness. I'm going to give it a go...hopefully they just don't fall off the bone!

Sounds good. Let us know how they turn out...I was thinking from your earlier post that there must be a way to crisp them up at the end. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 11:01 AM, mrflynn03 said:

This applies to every meal.