The Grilling & Smoking Thread

Down here in New Albany Meijer had some spiral sliced hams on sale for $.99 a pound. I picked one up to smoke later this year. 

I also upgraded my storage/tailgate setup. Most tool companies have some type of modular storage system. Based on quality, features, and price I went with Rigid. I see a lot of people with the Dewalt tiered type storage that expands, but those seem to lack the water resistance. 

The middle empty section will have tongs, spatulas, and foil. I also got the open basket for a chimney starter.

EA072F2A-5155-41B0-A505-774634A4C83F.jpeg

5046B2B2-8548-4DFC-9D15-E07B33D7991F.jpeg

B5C07276-F529-46CB-B626-B7C6FB3BB742.jpeg

Edited by BeerBQ
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Found some really fresh, never frozen red snapper... blackened seasoning and grilled...it was awesome...

I think I could get a job at Babin's 😁 

PXL_20220227_025309116.thumb.jpg.e8dae067550392cbca47a5a9c426a930.jpg

That looks really good. Best Red Snapper I ever had was at a place called Avalon I believe in Miami but boy.....those 2 beauties look the same as they had. So lucky to be close to the ocean....arm and a leg around here for food like that!

• Like 1

Anyone have more than a year on one of the new Weber Genesis II models? I’m currently gas grill shopping, and that’s kind of the default pick, but just eyeballing them, they don’t look as sturdy as the old Genesis models. 

I let my old Genesis go when we moved, since it had the expanded cabinets and was pretty bulky, and we didn’t know what our new patio/deck space was going to be like. Kind of regretting that now, but c’est la vie. 

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Anyone have more than a year on one of the new Weber Genesis II models? I’m currently gas grill shopping, and that’s kind of the default pick, but just eyeballing them, they don’t look as sturdy as the old Genesis models. 

I let my old Genesis go when we moved, since it had the expanded cabinets and was pretty bulky, and we didn’t know what our new patio/deck space was going to be like. Kind of regretting that now, but c’est la vie. 

How old are the Genesis II? We bought our last Weber Genesis gas grill about 7 years back...was that the newer model? If so, we like it quite a bit. I use it more than the Weber Kettle due to convenience, although I prefer using charcoal if I have the time (or the smoker).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

How old are the Genesis II? We bought our last Weber Genesis gas grill about 7 years back...was that the newer model? If so, we like it quite a bit. I use it more than the Weber Kettle due to convenience, although I prefer using charcoal if I have the time (or the smoker).

2-3 years I believe. 7 years ago would have been the age of my old one: 3 burner, front control knobs, two door cabinet below. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, FritzIam4IU said:

Oh, problem solved. Weber released a new line of actual Genesis grills that are more in line with the past quality. I’ll be placing an order this week. Just need to see how much “allowance” I can talk the wife into letting me spend…lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Oh, problem solved. Weber released a new line of actual Genesis grills that are more in line with the past quality. I’ll be placing an order this week. Just need to see how much “allowance” I can talk the wife into letting me spend…lol.

Yeah, been there done that ha. We bought ours from Lowes and ended up getting the second most expensive one, because we (I) didn't want to second guess later that I wish I had gotten more features. I didn't need the all stainless steel one though, so that save like $100 ha. Seriously though, they last way longer than a decade, so you can justify it by telling her it breaks down to like $1-$2 a week max ha. If that doesn't work you just have to offer to grill her one of her favorite meals on it right away. Good luck!

On 3/20/2022 at 1:14 AM, Zlinedavid said:

If you haven't ordered yet, I saw online someone claimed Costco had this one for $799 in store...might be worth calling and checking.

https://www.costco.com/weber-genesis-ii-s-310-3-burner-gas-grill.product.100813144.html

• 4 weeks later...

Warmer weather means more grilling and smoking time. Need to give the grill and smoker a good scrubbing before heavily using it again. 

Really want to perfect smoking a brisket, but wifey is not a big fan of brisket so it’s hard to justify spending that much on one if she’s barely going to eat it. Can’t wait ti experiment with pork loins either. Made a spicy one that everyone loved last year, brining it with some jalapeños and it’s juice. 

Hoping to expand my knowledge of other meats this year. Need to get better at pork butts (It’s fine, but just feel I’m missing something), and I’ve never done chicken wings. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Warmer weather means more grilling and smoking time. Need to give the grill and smoker a good scrubbing before heavily using it again. 

Really want to perfect smoking a brisket, but wifey is not a big fan of brisket so it’s hard to justify spending that much on one if she’s barely going to eat it. Can’t wait ti experiment with pork loins either. Made a spicy one that everyone loved last year, brining it with some jalapeños and it’s juice. 

Hoping to expand my knowledge of other meats this year. Need to get better at pork butts (It’s fine, but just feel I’m missing something), and I’ve never done chicken wings. 

I was just commenting to my wife last week that I need to really give my gas grill a good cleaning.

I have 2 frozen pork butts I have been meaning to smoke as soon as I have a nice day when I have little else going on.

No worries...you can always deliver me your extra brisket and I will eat it. 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was just commenting to my wife last week that I need to really give my gas grill a good cleaning.

I have 2 frozen pork butts I have been meaning to smoke as soon as I have a nice day when I have little else going on.

No worries...you can always deliver me your extra brisket and I will eat it. 😁

Deal lol. I love brisket, which is what stinks about not being able to make it often. Same with seafood/fish, she can’t stand it so I hardly ever make it anymore because I’m the only one who eats it.

Kiddos love anything I grill or smoke. My boys :) 

46 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

That sucks haha 

We did some nacho burgers (cayenne pepper/dominant one/garlic powder on the burger, along with grilled onions and jalapenos, tortilla chips, salsa and some sharp cheddar), veggies, baked potato, and grilled shrimp. 

I like smoking pork loins a lot. Seems simple. 

Chicken wings I smoked for awhile and finish on the grill. Seems to work for us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Deal lol. I love brisket, which is what stinks about not being able to make it often. Same with seafood/fish, she can’t stand it so I hardly ever make it anymore because I’m the only one who eats it.

Kiddos love anything I grill or smoke. My boys :) 

My wife only eats some chicken and no red meat/pork, so it is me and the kids as well. Luckily, both kids are carnivores!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Sometimes you can get just a flat or point and they aren’t too big. 
I’ve also had some luck smoking chuck roast like a brisket. They also make great burnt ends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

That sucks haha 

We did some nacho burgers (cayenne pepper/dominant one/garlic powder on the burger, along with grilled onions and jalapenos, tortilla chips, salsa and some sharp cheddar), veggies, baked potato, and grilled shrimp. 

I like smoking pork loins a lot. Seems simple. 

Chicken wings I smoked for awhile and finish on the grill. Seems to work for us.  

Do you brine those pork loins before you smoke them? If not, you should try it. Takes them to a whole new flavor/tenderness profile...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do you brine those pork loins before you smoke them? If not, you should try it. Takes them to a whole new flavor/tenderness profile...

I love brining pork loins! Wife is big when I use molasses as the main additive (besides water, salt, and whiskey). I have a few recipes of my own that I will rotate back and forth on.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Sometimes you can get just a flat or point and they aren’t too big. 
I’ve also had some luck smoking chuck roast like a brisket. They also make great burnt ends. 

Interesting, I will have to give that a shot with the chuck roast. My wife loves roast, but it’s not my favorite. Always try to find some happy mediums when I can :) lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I love brining pork loins! Wife is big when I use molasses as the main additive (besides water, salt, and whiskey). I have a few recipes of my own that I will rotate back and forth on.

Ya gotta share your brine mix...I love experimenting with this stuff! 

I normally use just kosher salt, peppercorns, and brown sugar, but I'll try anything once...

Edited by IUFLA

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ya gotta share your brine mix...I love experimenting with this stuff! 

I normally use just kosher salt, peppercorns, and brown sugar, but I'll try anything once...

I will find those and try to get those up soon (we are supposed to be traveling this weekend). I like to use one or two cups of whiskey, 2-3 tablespoons of molasses, and then a combo of garlic, peppercorns, some herbs, etc. it’s nothing crazy, but adds a different flavor to it that is very popular with both sides of the family and friends.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ll be doing some cooking for the race this weekend. 
Anyone ever done beef tongue? The last few years we’ve gone in on a quarter beef and got the tongues. The plan is to trim it (mostly of the ‘tongues’ exterior), smoke it to get some bark and cooler, then braise and shred it for something like barbacoa. 

It will be a small group so I like to test out some things for bigger cookouts. Any suggestions?