The Grilling & Smoking Thread

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My Russian friend cooks tounge . But after peeling the skin off she puts on a low boil for a few hours.

The common thing I’ve seen it to cook before you peel, but to be honest that’s just an extra step I don’t want to deal with. 

45 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ll be doing some cooking for the race this weekend. 
Anyone ever done beef tongue? The last few years we’ve gone in on a quarter beef and got the tongues. The plan is to trim it (mostly of the ‘tongues’ exterior), smoke it to get some bark and cooler, then braise and shred it for something like barbacoa. 

It will be a small group so I like to test out some things for bigger cookouts. Any suggestions?

Well, since you don't seem averse to the unconventional 😉 how about lamb fries? 

I've tried tongue a couple of different ways and ik not a big fan, but I'll eat it. I've had lamb fries both smoked and fried (prefer fried) and both ways were pretty good...

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I've not tried tongue.  I'm getting more adventurous.  I have a package of 50/50 grass fed ground beef and liver mix in the freezer. I like the idea of the health benefits of liver but don't like the texture. Although I'll eat the crap out of a liver pate.

Love liver...chicken, beef, and, as you say, pate. I'd rather eat liver than steak. Fortunately, down here in Texas, Luby's Cafeteria has beef liver and onions, and Hartz Chicken Buffet has chicken livers.

And the best Italian dish I've ever had was goose liver pate ravioli from a restaurant in DC...

• Like 1

20220526_230852.thumb.jpg.0e81c8a7ad03e602da906c554174264b.jpgI grilled a full bird the other day.  I like quarters and wife likes white meat. So I buy whole chickens and break them down. The leftover was made into a grilled chicken salad. 

For a side I roasted Brussel sprouts in bacon grease.  After they were finished I added a diced up peice of bacon and maple butter. To make the maple butter I used 2 tablespoons of softened butter and 1 tablespoon maple syrup and tossed it all together. I recommend trying this 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Memorial Day is a traditional BBQ day in our family... On the menu, baby back ribs 🙂 

PXL_20220530_221841653.jpg

I should have come over to your house. They look fantastic!

I had plans to smoke a pork butt or brisket this weekend, but I ended up working outside all weekend tending to the property and was too drained to do it, so I just grilled burgers and hot dogs on Sunday/Monday.

On a positive note, I did drink the 12 pack of Ultra I picked up for the long weekend! It went down extra smooth working outside in the heat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I had plans to smoke a pork butt or brisket this weekend, but I ended up working outside all weekend tending to the property and was too drained to do it, so I just grilled burgers and hot dogs on Sunday/Monday.

On a positive note, I did drink the 12 pack of Ultra I picked up for the long weekend! It went down extra smooth working outside in the heat.

I did the pork butt mopped with a bourbon based glaze on Saturday. Turned out awesome, but having problems with my rotisserie. It is made by Weber, and supposed to be designed to fit all Weber grills, but I am finding that it doesn't seem strong enough to hold a 5-6 lb. piece of meat. The end of the spit keeps coming out of the bracket. Gonna have to do some engineering, or look into a better set up

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I did the pork butt mopped with a bourbon based glaze on Saturday. Turned out awesome, but having problems with my rotisserie. It is made by Weber, and supposed to be designed to fit all Weber grills, but I am finding that it doesn't seem strong enough to hold a 5-6 lb. piece of meat. The end of the spit keeps coming out of the bracket. Gonna have to do some engineering, or look into a better set up

I've never used the rotisserie, but have seen it advertised. Good luck getting it figured out. It does seem like a cool application if it works correctly.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I'd call Weber. Their customer service has always been outstanding to me, and one of the reasons all my grills are Webers. They've always given me any parts I've needed for free. Good luck... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You should have. I had to bring the leftovers into work. They lasted about a half an hour...

And I guess I failed on the Ultra front. I bought a 12 pack, but have 4 left... I'm a lightweight any more 😁

• Haha 1

Didn’t do much grilling. I did burgers on Saturday, but nothing else. Need to give my smoker a good deep clean.

Really need to get some pork, chicken, and brisket in the smoker soon. I really like smoking chicken quarter thighs (bone in) after a good brining. Household favorite that everyone really likes. 

34 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Ultra….. you all need help! Lol

Years ago my Dad and I did a tour of the Budweiser brewery... My Dad asked what was the difference between Budweiser and Michelob... The guide said the Michelob vat was the one the workers didn't pee in 😉

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You should have. I had to bring the leftovers into work. They lasted about a half an hour...

And I guess I failed on the Ultra front. I bought a 12 pack, but have 4 left... I'm a lightweight any more 😁

I don't drink too much anymore. I rarely drink any alcohol during weekdays. I drank the 12 pack over the entire long weekend ha. I would have done 18-24 a few years back haha.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Didn’t do much grilling. I did burgers on Saturday, but nothing else. Need to give my smoker a good deep clean.

Really need to get some pork, chicken, and brisket in the smoker soon. I really like smoking chicken quarter thighs (bone in) after a good brining. Household favorite that everyone really likes. 

I had to clean out my weber genesis this weekend and it really needed it. I typically give it a deep clean once-twice a year, but it has been over a year and it was disgusting inside. Lots and lots of scrubbing grease off interior.

I am however usually pretty good about cleaning out my smoker after every use.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

12 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Getting the grill and smoker out this weekend. Plan to smoke a pork loin and bone-in chicken quarter thighs. Will try making some fun pizza burgers, been awhile since I’ve done that. 

Bone in chicken leg quarters are one of our favorites. we get the 10 lb bags for about $8. 

• 4 weeks later...