The Grilling & Smoking Thread

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone have experience with Solo Stove? It's supposed to provide smokeless fire. Thinking about getting a fire pit for the backyard and maybe their pizza oven. 

I have one.  It was a gift.  Aldis was selling knock offs.  Believe Walmart and Menard now as well.  My buddy took a stainless dryer drum and built around it with stones.  I would never pay the money and believe  Amazon has gotten into the knock off accessory game as well.  

• Thanks 1

Smoked my first Boston Butt earlier this week. Just an electric smoker guy. Turned out pretty good. 

I do want to try and get some more smoke/heat rolling earlier and create more of a bark. Wasn't upset with the results. Sandwiches are solid.  

Recently had a pig butchered..hanging weight was 250lbs+... 

83lbs of sausage 

16lbs bacon

16 pork chops

5 boxes of 4 tenderloins

2 8lbs Boston Butts

6 packages of 4 brats

4 packages of 2 pork steaks 

$300 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

We have a local grocery store that has a decent meat department. They make pepperjack brats that are AMAZING!!! That rotate their selection so I always try to nab some when they are in stock. Also do jalapeño, pineapple, cheddar, and other flavors as well. 

Is that a jalapeño, pineapple, and cheddar combination or individual sausages?  If not, those 3 in a combination would be fantastic.  

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

We have a local grocery store that has a decent meat department. They make pepperjack brats that are AMAZING!!! That rotate their selection so I always try to nab some when they are in stock. Also do jalapeño, pineapple, cheddar, and other flavors as well. 

My parents have a store like that by them. They always have some cool brats. 
There is a farm by me now that does some really good mango habanero brats. 

Guess I'll throw this in here. Didn't want to put in the Holiday thread. FYI for those who have access to Kroger. They started their annual Turkey Sale. .49 cents per lb as long as you buy $25 of other stuff.....or just .69 cents per lb. You have to download the coupon onto card and special only runs until Nov 15th.

Not for profit I'm involved with feed a 100 families in the area each Thanksgiving so this is a huge savings. Great for smoking, grilling or just baking. Thought people would want to know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll throw this in here. Didn't want to put in the Holiday thread. FYI for those who have access to Kroger. They started their annual Turkey Sale. .49 cents per lb as long as you buy $25 of other stuff.....or just .69 cents per lb. You have to download the coupon onto card and special only runs until Nov 15th.

Not for profit I'm involved with feed a 100 families in the area each Thanksgiving so this is a huge savings. Great for smoking, grilling or just baking. Thought people would want to know.

I see it on the app, but there wasn't. $25 qualifier on it... Good deal... 

Screenshot_20221109-093406.thumb.png.746930d3656462424437681990b9a5b4.png

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 1:55 PM, BeerBQ said:

If anyone has used Oakridge spices they are going out of business. You may want to make a few last purchase. 

I just got a few packs of Habanero Death Dust. I’m going to miss that stuff. 

I haven't heard of them.  Do they have a website?  Habanero Death Dust sound like it would be good on wings. 

21 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Trying my hand at smoking Jamaican chicken in my homemade Indoor smoker? Hopefully I don’t end up sending pictures of the fire department instead of the chicken 😉 

For jerk chicken I’m a big fan of Walkerswood marinade. I marinade chicken thighs or legs overnight in their spicy and love it.

http://www.walkerswood.com/product_traditional_jerk_marinade.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

For jerk chicken I’m a big fan of Walkerswood marinade. I marinade chicken thighs or legs overnight in their spicy and love it.

http://www.walkerswood.com/product_traditional_jerk_marinade.php

Thanks, this is a total experiment. I found out there is a family owned spice company right here in town, so I’m using their spice. I plan on walking up to their brick and mortar store after the chicken is done to see what they all have. Seems they got into the business because their daughter was having trouble reading the ingredients on a package of Taco seasoning. So they decided to put things together without all the chemicals. These are the ingredients for the Jamaican Jerk seasoning. D388646C-10D1-4192-B21B-997E8620518C.thumb.jpeg.f96123806362260eb2f818ce67a1ad01.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

You guys ever tried White BBQ sauce or Alabama White Sauce? 

Meant to ask this summer 

I've tried the white sauce from Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama... Different... Not terrible, but I much prefer Memphis or Kansas City style BBQ sauce... 

I've also tried Maurice Bessinger's South Carolina style "gold sauce" (mustard based) and didn't care for it... 

Texas BBQ sauce is too soupy... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You guys ever tried White BBQ sauce or Alabama White Sauce? 

Meant to ask this summer 

Yeah. I use it quite a bit on chicken. I like this version of it. Have to scroll down to find it. 

https://www.flavcity.com/keto-chicken-white-bbq-sauce/

Goes really good with this Chicken Saltimbocca recipe. I've done this in cast iron and on the grill. 

https://www.flavcity.com/chicken-saltimbocca-keto-meal-prep/

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've tried the white sauce from Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama... Different... Not terrible, but I much prefer Memphis or Kansas City style BBQ sauce... 

I've also tried Maurice Bessinger's South Carolina style "gold sauce" (mustard based) and didn't care for it... 

Texas BBQ sauce is too soupy... 

It's by far my favorite. I make my own, I have also made my own regular bbq sauce. 

I think I really like a Carolina BBQ sauce. That's a thing right? Sounds sort of like your Gold Sauce. 

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yeah. I use it quite a bit on chicken. I like this version of it. Have to scroll down to find it. 

https://www.flavcity.com/keto-chicken-white-bbq-sauce/

Goes really good with this Chicken Saltimbocca recipe. I've done this in cast iron and on the grill. 

https://www.flavcity.com/chicken-saltimbocca-keto-meal-prep/

https://www.southernkissed.com/alabama-white-barbecue-sauce/

I roll with this one. I cook a fair amount of chicken thighs, love them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It's by far my favorite. I make my own, I have also made my own regular bbq sauce. 

I think I really like a Carolina BBQ sauce. That's a thing right? Sounds sort of like your Gold Sauce. 

https://www.southernkissed.com/alabama-white-barbecue-sauce/

I roll with this one. I cook a fair amount of chicken thighs, love them. 

Chicken thighs are great. Cheaper and delicious.  I grill alot of chicken quarters. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think I really like a Carolina BBQ sauce. That's a thing right? Sounds sort of like your Gold Sauce

We actually stopped at Gibson's Restaurant on one of our many treks between the Florida panhandle and my Mom's place in Terre Haute back in the day. It was really good, and I did buy a bottle to take with us. It's good on chicken as I remember.

I've had 2 or 3 different renditions of gold sauce. I think Famous Dave's makes kinda a hybrid between traditional BBQ and mustard based. Georgia sauce as I remember.

My favorite bottled is Corky's in Memphis. I buy a case of half hot, half regular and mix them. The hot alone is too hot for me... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2