The Grilling & Smoking Thread

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

We actually stopped at Gibson's Restaurant on one of our many treks between the Florida panhandle and my Mom's place in Terre Haute back in the day. It was really good, and I did buy a bottle to take with us. It's good on chicken as I remember.

I've had 2 or 3 different renditions of gold sauce. I think Famous Dave's makes kinda a hybrid between traditional BBQ and mustard based. Georgia sauce as I remember.

My favorite bottled is Corky's in Memphis. I buy a case of half hot, half regular and mix them. The hot alone is too hot for me... 

I will look into that sauce. The verde sauce, I think it was you, that was brought to my attention is flipping awesome. I notice that you said you had been to the restaurant that makes this sauce. haha crazy coincidence. 

I also have started (when I'm lazy or running low on condiments) to mix a hot sauce (even a regular hot sauce) and a bbq sauce and it usually comes good...... 

so an example... smoked a pork butt the other. I used a very generic walmart brand BBQ sauce and slapped a little buffalo garlic (as walmart brand) on the pork to mix in with the bbq. I love it. haha .... got the idea from Wings and Rings. They base their sauces and then add heat to them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I will look into that sauce. The verde sauce, I think it was you, that was brought to my attention is flipping awesome. I notice that you said you had been to the restaurant that makes this sauce. haha crazy coincidence. 

I also have started (when I'm lazy or running low on condiments) to mix a hot sauce (even a regular hot sauce) and a bbq sauce and it usually comes good...... 

so an example... smoked a pork butt the other. I used a very generic walmart brand BBQ sauce and slapped a little buffalo garlic (as walmart brand) on the pork to mix in with the bbq. I love it. haha .... got the idea from Wings and Rings. They base their sauces and then add heat to them. 

There are a crapload of good Verde sauces around here. The restaurant's all have their version and they're all killer. Los Cucos is our favorite. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Screenshot_20221109-134704.thumb.png.bafe0fbdbf0f13403ced0660a75c33c7.pngScreenshot_20221109-134845.thumb.png.59cce8a2714812375104058ffce27b39.png

you can see the contrast... 

we were commissioning a new package machine in Minneapolis one time, so I took our maintenance tech to Famous Dave’s for dinner. Being Georgia Born and Raised I asked him what he thought of the Georgia sauce. He said he liked it, but I wouldn’t say it was a glowing accolade. But what does he know he’s from Georgia!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

we were commissioning a new package machine in Minneapolis one time, so I took our maintenance tech to Famous Dave’s for dinner. Being Georgia Born and Raised I asked him what he thought of the Georgia sauce. He said he liked it, but I wouldn’t say it was a glowing accolade. But what does he know he’s from Georgia!

When I was in college I would just buy cheap t-shirts for work. I had a Georgia bulldogs shirt on one time at lunch in a BBQ buffet in Arkansas.  A guy looked at me and told me to get a rope. Then said get the pork. He was nice enough I guess.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Trying my hand at smoking Jamaican chicken in my homemade Indoor smoker? Hopefully I don’t end up sending pictures of the fire department instead of the chicken 😉 

No fire department, in fact I didn’t get a blip from the smoke detector. Seems my Jerk Chicken became pulled chicken, going to have to work on the time and temperature.

5C299CCC-6D61-4576-B8BD-79F3E1A9CB57.thumb.jpeg.520664c984e2274a0dbcf0a3d84e90c6.jpeg

Also needed to be more liberal with the seasoning. However the parts on the outside that I could taste, the flavor was spot on.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Man, if I ever took you to an HEB and showed you the peppers aisle, you'd move to Texas 🙂

I just visited the local spice company store. No Aji peppers but boy do they have a selection! Once I try some I’ll give some feedback. Looking forward to making an omelet recipe of theirs tomorrow using the Smoked Cheddar Jalapeño dip mix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

I just visited the local spice company store. No Aji peppers but boy do they have a selection! Once I try some I’ll give some feedback. Looking forward to making an omelet recipe of theirs tomorrow using the Smoked Cheddar Jalapeño dip mix.

Speaking of smoked cheese..... 

I do a smoked queso that is one of my favorites and smoked cream cheese is damn good too. Tried any of that? 

• Like 2

Tonight... going to go with some pork chops that are currently in a brine. Charcoal grill with some wood chips mixed in, indirect heat for ..... idk how long lol...

but I intend to finish them on my blackstone, high heat with oil.... with the idea that I can "crisp" up the edges. Idk it works in my head... this will be the first time I have ever done this. Sunday we did pork chops on the blackstone, which is usually what I do, but I understand that I am sacrificing some flavor going the easy route. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Tonight... going to go with some pork chops that are currently in a brine. Charcoal grill with some wood chips mixed in, indirect heat for ..... idk how long lol...

but I intend to finish them on my blackstone, high heat with oil.... with the idea that I can "crisp" up the edges. Idk it works in my head... this will be the first time I have ever done this. Sunday we did pork chops on the blackstone, which is usually what I do, but I understand that I am sacrificing some flavor going the easy route. 

Ever heard of a reverse sear?  Sear on high heat then cook indirect low. Usually finished in the oven. Not sure if it would take on smoke after searing. I may have to try it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Sounds ok as long as you don't put them on the Blackstone too long... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

Reporting back.  This was very good. 

Next time... I will go 2-3 mins on direct heat each side.... 10-15 mins indirect, finish on the blackstone. 

7.5 would be my rating tonight and I'm a tough critic on myself. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...