The Grilling & Smoking Thread

3 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Anyone have a good jerky recipe?  I was given a smoker recently and thought jerky was a good entry point. :)  Plus I do love jerky! 

Man, I thought jerky was hard to make? I could be wrong there. Tell you one thing I struggle smoking--- ribs. I am not worth af at them!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Man, I thought jerky was hard to make? I could be wrong there. Tell you one thing I struggle smoking--- ribs. I am not worth af at them!! 

I’m shooting from the hip here so if it’s tough I’m all ears (selfishly I just wanted jerky!  :) ). Maybe a better question I should pose is what’s a simple entry point to go for?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What's the issue with ribs? Too tough? Are you removing the membrane? Brining? What type of ribs and what temp? 

2 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I’m shooting from the hip here so if it’s tough I’m all ears (selfishly I just wanted jerky!  :) ). Maybe a better question I should pose is what’s a simple entry point to go for?  

1. never let me tell you what to do, brother! 

2. Chicken wings aren't too difficult. I LOVE smoked chili. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAAIR3eMi8A&t=37s

I have done sliced pork loins before that were quick and easy! 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

What's the issue with ribs? Too tough? Are you removing the membrane? Brining? What type of ribs and what temp? 

Yes, too tough, ultimately. This weekend I did Pork spare ribs. I did not brine them, but I have been brining all my other meats. I put a dry rub on them for about 18 hours and then smoked them. 

Membrane? Wasn't aware. I went 200-220 from around 5hrs. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes, too tough, ultimately. This weekend I did Pork spare ribs. I did not brine them, but I have been brining all my other meats. I put a dry rub on them for about 18 hours and then smoked them. 

There is a silverskin on the bone side that needs to be stripped off. 

Also recommend removing the strip of meat on the non bone side. Makes a great snack 2-3 hrs in. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

On the back side (non-meat) side of the ribs there's a thin membrane you have to peel off. 

There's a ton of videos out there

https://youtu.be/pQE_nkHokik 

I peel off the membrane, brine them over night, and go 225 for about 5 hours. I don't do the 3-2-1 method. I get better results just cooking them low and slow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

On the back side (non-meat) side of the ribs there's a thin membrane you have to peel off. 

There's a ton of videos out there

https://youtu.be/pQE_nkHokik 

I peel off the membrane, brine them over night, and go 225 for about 5 hours. I don't do the 3-2-1 method. I get better results just cooking them low and slow

I have tried the 3-2-1 method. I'll do the membrane thing next time. Idk, I've watched 100s of videos on it and I still struggle. 

I will for sure brine the next ribs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have tried the 3-2-1 method. I'll do the membrane thing next time. Idk, I've watched 100s of videos on it and I still struggle. 

I will for sure brine the next ribs. 

Spare ribs also cook differently than baby backs. They are meatier and have more fat so need more time lower heat to break down. 

Edited by mrflynn03

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Anyone have a good jerky recipe?  I was given a smoker recently and thought jerky was a good entry point. :)  Plus I do love jerky! 

I’m with you on the entry point, but my awareness is that jerky is more seasoned dehydration than smoking. But I may be JFofS!

Edited by Drroogh

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

For first time smoking I would go with Boston butt.  It is really forgiving and will give you chance to learn the smoker and how to produce a thin blue smoke.  A second choice for me would be a whole chicken. 

I haven't done jerky in awhile but I do it in my oven. For jerky you want to use cuts of meat with very little fat. 

What kind of smoker did you get?

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

For first time smoking I would go with Boston butt.  It is really forgiving and will give you chance to learn the smoker and how to produce a thin blue smoke.  A second choice for me would be a whole chicken. 

I haven't done jerky in awhile but I do it in my oven. For jerky you want to use cuts of meat with very little fat. 

Awesome. Appreciate the direction. My family is full of picky eaters so a chicken is a can’t lose. Unless I F it up. Then it’ll be pizza night. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Awesome. Appreciate the direction. My family is full of picky eaters so a chicken is a can’t lose. Unless I F it up. Then it’ll be pizza night. 

When smoking chicken just make sure its breast side up so it doesn't get dry. Should take 4-5 hours.

I use a poultry rub and stuff the cavity with onions, lemon, and garlic. 

I also use part of it to make a smoked chicken salad. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I did a boston butt for the first time about a month ago. I was very pleased with it. Good luck man, I have loved smoking foods and just recently got back into it. 

• Like 1