The Grilling & Smoking Thread

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

What time we eating?😁

I don't think you would make it in time driving from TX...maybe jump on a plane ha. I didn't pick up cole slaw or cabbage to make my own...so going with potato salad today. Wife did make homemade buns.

You have any grilling plans this weekend? I'm waiting for all the holiday weekend grilling pics to pop up here.

10 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I don't think you would make it in time driving from TX...maybe jump on a plane ha. I didn't pick up cole slaw or cabbage to make my own...so going with potato salad today. Wife did make homemade buns.

You have any grilling plans this weekend? I'm waiting for all the holiday weekend grilling pics to pop up here.

Probably not. We're going over to my daughter's house in San Marcos to look at a horse and staying over til Sunday morn. My son in law isn't much of a grill guy. He's more a let's-go-out-and-you-pick-up-the-tab type. Now my other son in law is a master of all grilling and smoking. I defer to him.

If I do it'll be something simple on Sunday. Just me and the wife so can't go big-time...☹️

Edited by IUFLA

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Probably not. We're going over to my daughter's house in San Marcos to look at a horse and staying over til Sunday morn. My son in law isn't much of a grill guy. He's more a let's-go-out-and-you-pick-up-the-tab type. Now my other son in law is a master of all grilling and smoking. I defer to him.

If I do it'll be something simple on Sunday. Just me and the wife so can't go big-time...☹️

Maybe use Sunday as an excuse to get some good steaks! Have a good weekend (sorry about picking up the bill ha).

• Like 1

The plan for July 4th. Actually a mile tradition. For Thanksgiving we have a fresh turkey.  But buy a lesser inexpensive frozen turkey for July 4th.  I smoke it in one of my water charcoal smokers. Do it over Cherry Wood. And after three hours. Temp check till it is done. Then tent with aluminum foil and let it rest, before carving.    11 invited guests this year. Flavor and juiciness  is always great.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How was the "smokiness?" 

It was good. Used mostly cherry wood so it wouldn't be overpowering and seemed like it would pair well with pork. I did toss in two small pieces of hickory. The smokey mountain ran a bit hot (280ish) which was not too bad...I probably should have added more water than I did...it was getting low towards the end. My only two issues with it would be the door leaks some (which I ave read will get better after a few smokes and natural seasoning/buildup) and it was difficult to add wood to the coals with the water bowl being so close...other than that I was happy. I think once I get a good feel for it, keeping temps steady won't be difficult. I will probably smoke some ribs next week sometime...maybe a chicken.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The plan for July 4th. Actually a mile tradition. For Thanksgiving we have a fresh turkey.  But buy a lesser inexpensive frozen turkey for July 4th.  I smoke it in one of my water charcoal smokers. Do it over Cherry Wood. And after three hours. Temp check till it is done. Then tent with aluminum foil and let it rest, before carving.    11 invited guests this year. Flavor and juiciness  is always great.

You should post some pics of your turkey...sounds delicious.

I had a "leftover" pulled pork sandwich for lunch and will be grilling one of the wifes favorites...veggie sandwiches for dinner today.

Hope everyone has a good (and tasty) holiday weekend.

42 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You should post some pics of your turkey...sounds delicious.

I had a "leftover" pulled pork sandwich for lunch and will be grilling one of the wifes favorites...veggie sandwiches for dinner today.

Hope everyone has a good (and tasty) holiday weekend.

Posting pics on HSN is well beyond my abilities.  It is now high noon at the mile casa.  Just tempted the Turkey. Put it on at 5:30 a.m. Mountain Time. Legs and wings are good temp wise.  So I put Aluminum foil over them. Breast needs some more time. Coming along just fine.  It's a big turkey.  Guests to arrive at 4.  One hour to cool down before then and carve.  Everything is working out well.

Funny story. I have a dedicated grilling/smoking area on the North side of my house. WIth a natural draw out to the West. Front of the house.  A number of years back.  Started the smoker for the turkey, early morning.  And the paper delivery guy, jumped out of his car.  "Don't worry. I have called the fire department !" Told him it's just my smoker. He called the fire department back... to cancel the call.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Posting pics on HSN is well beyond my abilities.  It is now high noon at the mile casa.  Just tempted the Turkey. Put it on at 5:30 a.m. Mountain Time. Legs and wings are good temp wise.  So I put Aluminum foil over them. Breast needs some more time. Coming along just fine.  It's a big turkey.  Guests to arrive at 4.  One hour to cool down before then and carve.  Everything is working out well.

Funny story. I have a dedicated grilling/smoking area on the North side of my house. WIth a natural draw out to the West. Front of the house.  A number of years back.  Started the smoker for the turkey, early morning.  And the paper delivery guy, jumped out of his car.  "Don't worry. I have called the fire department !" Told him it's just my smoker. He called the fire department back... to cancel the call.  LOL

I commend your dedication...getting up at that time to start the smoke! Hope it turns out great and enjoy your feast and holiday!

17 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I commend your dedication...getting up at that time to start the smoke! Hope it turns out great and enjoy your feast and holiday!

Thank you. It's a tradition. LIke flying the flag on the 4th. Actually, I fly the flag every day, weather permitting. And put at least a dozen flags on display in my front flower bed. Each Memorial, 4th of July, and Labor Day.  I LOVE America.  And the flag which it stands .