The Grilling & Smoking Thread

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Electric. I had a Master built electric for about 5 years, and it gave up the ghost on the day before Thanksgiving. My wife bought this one for me for Christmas.

First use...PXL_20210404_185828679_MP.thumb.jpg.dec6b474022307140015a98692ef0099.jpg

I'd have to go back and check from last year but the Master Built electric worked well for you? Our HOA passed some new rules and I might have to go electric.

Is it really just as easy plugging in....putting your chips in bottom and being done? I don't like complicated. Have a friend that studies for hours types of chips, temps,etc....and I'm not that guy as it relates to food.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd have to go back and check from last year but the Master Built electric worked well for you? Our HOA passed some new rules and I might have to go electric.

Is it really just as easy plugging in....putting your chips in bottom and being done? I don't like complicated. Have a friend that studies for hours types of chips, temps,etc....and I'm not that guy as it relates to food.

It did. None of them are complicated. Put in chips and water, set the time and temp, and off you go.

I always go by internal temp for doneness, so a meat thermometer works well for that. I've got a Weber iGrill, a ThemoPro T20 (the one I like best) and the smoker I have has one that I used today. Worked pretty good, but the bluetooth connection with the app wasn't the best. 30 feet max. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It did. None of them are complicated. Put in chips and water, set the time and temp, and off you go.

I always go by internal temp for doneness, so a meat thermometer works well for that. I've got a Weber iGrill, a ThemoPro T20 (the one I like best) and the smoker I have has one that I used today. Worked pretty good, but the bluetooth connection with the app wasn't the best. 30 feet max. 

I was about to buy electric smoker, but wife vetoed it and wanted me to get the charcoal Weber Smokey Mountain due to too many reviews saying the electric ones died in a year or two. You've had good luck with your last one, so hopefully your new one will last 5 years as well. I might have still opted for the electric if we lived in warmer climate, but I like to smoke during fall here even when temps get below freezing.

Everyone's food looked great yesterday! I think I might have to smoke another pork shoulder this week...

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was about to buy electric smoker, but wife vetoed it and wanted me to get the charcoal Weber Smokey Mountain due to too many reviews saying the electric ones died in a year or two. You've had good luck with your last one, so hopefully your new one will last 5 years as well. I might have still opted for the electric if we lived in warmer climate, but I like to smoke during fall here even when temps get below freezing.

Everyone's food looked great yesterday! I think I might have to smoke another pork shoulder this week...

I was going to ask you...but can you buy different smoke flavoring charcoal, or do you put chips/chunks on the charcoal for the smoke?

I might still break down and buy something like that Weber you have soon...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was going to ask you...but can you buy different smoke flavoring charcoal, or do you put chips/chunks on the charcoal for the smoke?

I might still break down and buy something like that Weber you have soon...

I use regular charcoal and wood chunks. No flavored charcoal for me. The Weber has been great...not too hard to keep temps within target range.

I believe @BeerBQhas the largest of the three Smokey Mountains (22 inch)...I have the medium (18 inch) and they have a small one as well (15? inch). Mine has been good sized for us...I can fit two racks of ribs on top shelf.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FritzIam4IU @IUFLA

I do have the biggest one and enjoy it. I’ve heard the medium is the most efficient, though. The small ones also seem really nice. If you like the style, are somewhat handy, and want to save money you can make a version of the small one for around $100. I never really got mine figured out but it was due to my error. 

Edited by BeerBQ
Fixing picture issues.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BeerBQ said:

22C1F4B8-8BE1-4C94-87D2-877B1445C1FC.jpeg

E094F2C7-BB50-4A48-8558-A154D24405AB.jpeg

One thing I will credit Weber for...and I might have mentioned this last year...when I bought mine, I got the last one from Home Depot. The box was damaged from forklift and it smashed in part of the lid and other parts were dented. I called Weber and they immediately sent me replacement parts via FedEx two day which was awesome. That customer service will keep me buying Weber in the future.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

One thing I will credit Weber for...and I might have mentioned this last year...when I bought mine, I got the last one from Home Depot. The box was damaged from forklift and it smashed in part of the lid and other parts were dented. I called Weber and they immediately sent me replacement parts via FedEx two day which was awesome. That customer service will keep me buying Weber in the future.

I said earlier in this thread or maybe it was another, I'm a Weber guy for life...

First one I had was a 22 1/2 kettle we got for a wedding present...That one lasted 17 years until my bro-in-law ran over it in our driveway. I bought another one immediately...Still have that one 21 years later and it's not got a speck of rust on it. Works like new.

Also have a Genesis Silver A I bought in 2004...Over the years, Weber has replaced the gas tubes for me once, and the regulator, and that's it. 

And they do have the best customer service around...

By the way, Weber has a warehouse in Huntley, Illinois. I use to go up there when I lived in Chicagoland...A little Northwest of Elgin...Got a lot of nice accessories up there, including the rotisserie for the Silver A at great prices... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, Seeking6 said:

Tell your HOA to kiss their own ass and do your own thing. Nobody should dictate how you cook your food. 

I am lump charcoal #1, split wood from our farm, briquettes.  I cook and smoke over open flames.  

Use whatever method YOU prefer, but don't let anyone tell you what to do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...