The Grilling & Smoking Thread

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That's a separate drawer for the water tray and the chip tray (takes pellets as well)...Makes it so you don't have to open the main cabinet to add water or chips, and hold your temp and smoke

Makes sense. I have the generic little wood tray on the side. Actually use just a little charcoal this weekend to keep things going. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Makes sense. I have the generic little wood tray on the side. Actually use just a little charcoal this weekend to keep things going. 

It does a good job for what I need...I don't have time normally to control a real wood smoker's temps. I set a temp, and a time and get it out when it's done. One of the reasons my wife bought me this one was because it sits up high and I don't have to lean over a lot (bad back)...

You're not getting a smoke ring on the meat with it, and it has bluetooth rather than wifi, although I do have a wifi thermometer...it has a bluetooth meat probe attached to it, but 30 feet is about the limit...

The turkey I did had just the right amount of smoke...I use fruitwoods on poultry normally...

Edited by IUFLA

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do you use a meat thermometer? 

Yes. But... I put it in too late because everywhere I read they acted like it would be a 8hr process... minimum..  mine was done in 5.5hrs.. maybe a little less. 

I'm about... 45mins to an over cooked. This is me being a fairly harsh critic. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes. But... I put it in too late because everywhere I read they acted like it would be a 8hr process... minimum..  mine was done in 5.5hrs.. maybe a little less. 

I'm about... 45mins to an over cooked. This is me being a fairly harsh critic. 

I put one in from the beginning... This is my go to...

Screenshot_20221218-190234.thumb.png.7f6c88c02b91058f94aead625f0f66cf.png

Wireless with wifi...

But I am glad yours came out well... Brisket is difficult to do right... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So there used to be this dive/dump bar by Four Winds in Bloomington called Fairfax Inn. My understanding is that's under new ownership and has turned into a smokehouse? Any of the locals try it? Early planning stages of an event we have at Park/Lake but always like to toss some $ to the locals if it's good.

I’m late, but I think the key to brisket is the rest. Temperature doesn’t really matter, so you have to go by feel. When it’s done you let it cool down to around 150 wrapped in foil and hold it at that temp for 12 hours or so. That is what the big time bbq places in Texas do from what I hear. 

6 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Got some steaks and corn on. I just pulled off some chicken thighs. 
The corn came without a husk so I put it in foil with some butter. I’ll add some seasoning and put it on the grates to get some char. 

4E926515-1FB3-4AF4-9519-128D79960F6E.jpeg

Careful, the government will be coming for your charcoal grill next!!

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking of asking this for a while. Has anyone ever tried marinating you meats in a vaccum? obviously my over complicating mind envisions a huge vac chamber and vac pump, but maybe just using one of those vacuum sealer things? I just assume that it would pull the marinate down into the grain of the meat.

10 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I've been thinking of asking this for a while. Has anyone ever tried marinating you meats in a vaccum? obviously my over complicating mind envisions a huge vac chamber and vac pump, but maybe just using one of those vacuum sealer things? I just assume that it would pull the marinate down into the grain of the meat.

I think putting it in a vacuum bag sealer would accomplish the same thing!