The Grilling & Smoking Thread

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That was a steal for the Genesis grill. Was that a 3 burner? Don't tell Hank Hill, but I prefer the taste of charcoal grilling, but can't beat the convenience of propane.

I am seriously considering the electric Masterbuilt, I honestly can't decide.

image.jpeg.7982dda32b69e52672a753eecbf5ca8f.jpeg

No, it's a 2 burner. I only use it for steaks, burgers, brats, and anything else that's under 30 minutes on the grill...

On a side note, today my wife picked up some cod for a special recipe that she said, "requires brining." Then she says, "I didn't know you could brine fish." 

To which I replied a "well haven't they pretty much been brining their whole life?"

Which got me a dirty look and a punch in the arm...

• Haha 1

I’m also a big Weber fan. I have 2 22.5” kettles, a 22.5” Smokey Mountain Cooker, a Jumbo Joe, 2 Smokey Joes, and an older gas grill. All of them can be found used for pretty cheap. The finishes hold up really well so they usually just need a good cleaning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

No, it's a 2 burner. I only use it for steaks, burgers, brats, and anything else that's under 30 minutes on the grill...

On a side note, today my wife picked up some cod for a special recipe that she said, "requires brining." Then she says, "I didn't know you could brine fish." 

To which I replied a "well haven't they pretty much been brining their whole life?"

Which got me a dirty look and a punch in the arm...

It was still a great deal on that Genesis. I think my wife wants me to grill some sort of fish for her on grill soon.

16 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

It was still a great deal on that Genesis. I think my wife wants me to grill some sort of fish for her on grill soon.

It was. My buddy got a gold stainless steel for $244 the same day. I couldn't find one. He grills about twice a year, so that things not even broken in after 16 years...

I'm grilling some red snapper for me and my wife tonight...pics forthcoming...I like snapper because it stays together and doesn't flake, and it's very tasty...

• Like 1

Question for the smoking experts on here. I like to do some grilling and would like to smoke in fall/winter if possible, especially during football season. Is one particular fuel type better during the winter? I guess I am just wondering if an electric or coal smoker would work sufficiently during the colder months? And to clarify, I won't be out there in 10 degree weather, but I'm talking more about 30s-50s temps.

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Question for the smoking experts on here. I like to do some grilling and would like to smoke in fall/winter if possible, especially during football season. Is one particular fuel type better during the winter? I guess I am just wondering if an electric or coal smoker would work sufficiently during the colder months? And to clarify, I won't be out there in 10 degree weather, but I'm talking more about 30s-50s temps.

I have used a charcoal grill or smoker in low temps, in the winter time.  However, I would have to say that an electric smoker, though I don't have one... would work fine in low temps as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

What do you grill with now?

The Weber kettle can be used as a smoker. I set up unlit charcoal on one side with a barrier. You can get fire bricks or a charcoal basket to keep it together. Then add some lit charcoal on top. Leave the top vent open and control temp with the bottom. The food goes on the cool side and may need turned. You’re limited on space but it does a good job. You can also look up the snake method. 

I added a picture with 2 pork butts on a 22.5” kettle. D97219D1-FA26-4E74-8746-55F576DBE08D.thumb.jpeg.e94ce7c66cea8a7a55070447f07bac92.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The electric smokers are very well insulated, not just a metal outside. Mine is almost like a small refrigerator. And the door has a clasp.

It does pretty well in low temps. The two times a year I normally do a turkey, Thanksgiving and Christmas, aren't real cold down here in Texas, but I've used it in 40 degree temps with good results.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The electric smokers are very well insulated, not just a metal outside. Mine is almost like a small refrigerator. And the door has a clasp.

It does pretty well in low temps. The two times a year I normally do a turkey, Thanksgiving and Christmas, aren't real cold down here in Texas, but I've used it in 40 degree temps with good results.

Thanks for the info, it is what I wanted to know...I also appreciate @BeerBQ info as well, and I've tried smoking like that on Weber charcoal, but I'm hoping for something that I don't have to babysit quite as much as I do now as the heat seems to fluctuate quite a bit on my current charcoal grill using indirect grilling.

16 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

It all depends what kind you get. 

My neighbor has a Green Egg charcoal smoker, it's insulated very well and his cooks in cold temps better than mine. I have a Traeger electric pellet grill and the walls aren't as insulated. That said Traeger has these 'jackets' you can put on them in cold weather, but with all the smoke they get really dirty and disgusting. With or without a jacket I think the electric grills will keep temps steady (they don't call them easy bake ovens for nothing), you'll just go through a lot more pellets. It also helps to keep your grill out of the wind and in the sun if possible. 

Either way, I still would recommend that you get a bluetooth thermometer (if you don't already have one) just to make sure your temps don't go out of range. Because in cold weather if something goes wacky with the airflow the temp dives quickly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

So I went to the local meat market yesterday and picked up some more slabs of baby back ribs I'm planning on cooking Sunday. Also got a T-bone steak I threw in freezer for fathers day weekend. Planning on trying the "snake method" for the ribs that @BeerBQ referenced above. I'll report results after.

Pretty sure you already know how to do a T-bone on a charcoal grill.  Plenty of different methods out there.  Here is just one guy's method :

How to grill the BEST T-Bone steak you will ever taste!

Steak is my go to choice for father's day.  Two to two and a half inches thick.

And whichever method you use.  Enjoy !  And happy father's day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Pretty sure you already know how to do a T-bone on a charcoal grill.  Plenty of different methods out there.  Here is just one guy's method :

How to grill the BEST T-Bone steak you will ever taste!

Steak is my go to choice for father's day.  Two to two and a half inches thick.

And whichever method you use.  Enjoy !  And happy father's day.

Yep...done my share of steaks on grill...but always like reading other ways to cook them up. Mine is only an inch or so thick ha. Happy Father's Day to you as well!

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep...done my share of steaks on grill...but always like reading other ways to cook them up. Mine is only an inch or so thick ha. Happy Father's Day to you as well!

One inch is ok. Try going two inches at least one  time. Will take a little longer to grill to your choice. I like my steaks medium or medium rare. I don't use a probe to check on doneness.  Rather, I use the touch test :

Easy Way to Check Meat for Doneness 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:57 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

So I went to the local meat market yesterday and picked up some more slabs of baby back ribs I'm planning on cooking Sunday. Also got a T-bone steak I threw in freezer for fathers day weekend. Planning on trying the "snake method" for the ribs that @BeerBQ referenced above. I'll report results after.

How is the cook going?

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I see you use a probe.  Is it tied to a cell phone. Or just a monitor.  No big deal either way.  Just curious. As I have seen one used both ways.

It is tied to a monitor that can connect to Bluetooth. It came with 4 probes and has the ability to connect up to 6. 

186C87D3-90EB-4A59-BBD4-ED8BF76D4207.jpeg

On 6/12/2020 at 7:39 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Grilling is great, but I also recommend the butter basted method in a cast iron.  So good.

Always wanted a cast iron.  In the winter when the weather is cold and snowy, and I want a steak. I do one inside.  I have a chefmate pan.  Copper bottom and steel on top.  Small amount of olive oil to start out. Get it scorching hot. Put the steak in. Char each side.  Along the way add.... sliced onions, jalipinos and garlic.  And a few sprigs of rosemary.  Put as much on top of the steak to infuse the flavor.  Then put pats of butter in the pan to melt, and baste the steak till it is done.  Take the steak out, and let it rest.  Serve the onions, garlic and jalipinos as a side dish.  Fantastic flavor on the steak.

Of course let the steak come to room  temp before cooking.  And add salt and pepper before the cook.

5 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

How is the cook going?

I'll try to get some pics up soon. Overall it went well..ribs turned out good. I made mac and cheese as well and it was decent...not as good as I hoped. My wife made potato salad and it was yummy. How did yours turn out?

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1