Beer/Alcohol Thread

Why not have a thread for this?! Lol.

What are some of your favorite beers to drink, along with some good liquor? I love me some Kona Big Wave and Goose Island 312. I’m not a big IPA or malt heavy fan, but will always try a beer. I’m still mad at O’Fallon Brewery form a couple years back when they got rid of their Kite Tail summer beer, and replaced it with Summer Daze. Daze is still a good beer, but my goodness was the Kite Tail amazing. 

I’m also a big whiskey fan. Probably my favorite is Redneck Riviera Whiskey. Not expensive but super smooth. Also love vacationing in Gatlinburg, TN and going moonshine tasting. So much fun!

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Love Gumballhead and Robert the Bruce 3 Floyd's in Munster, In.

Can't get either down here in Texas...

So I go with 80 Acre from Boulevard Brewing, Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes Brewery, Left Hand Milk Stout from left Hand Brewery in Colorado...

Stick with Michelob Ultra as a go to

I tried Gumballhead and Zombiedust for the first time this past summer...I recognized your Gumballhead avatar ha. I thought Zombiedust was overrated from all I heard about it in years past, but thought Gumballhead was quite good. I also drink Michelob Ultra as my regular beer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I tried Gumballhead and Zombiedust for the first time this past summer...I recognized your Gumballhead avatar ha. I thought Zombiedust was overrated from all I heard about it in years past, but thought Gumballhead was quite good. I also drink Michelob Ultra as my regular beer.

Never tried Zombiedust, always wanted to try Dark Lord (sold one day a year) but not going to pay an exorbitant price or stand in line for it.

80 Acre is the closest tasting wheat beer to Gumballhead. But still not the same...

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Never tried Zombiedust, always wanted to try Dark Lord (sold one day a year) but not going to pay an exorbitant price or stand in line for it.

80 Acre is the closest tasting wheat beer to Gumballhead. But still not the same...

Local liquor store had Zombiedust when I went looking for some different beers for my brother in law. I think it was like $15 a six pack of bottles? The local Kroger sells Gumballhead and one or two other 3 Floyd Beers in store.

I love checking out craft breweries. My wife even let me plan our Honeymoon to get in as many as we could. Have visited breweries in Alaska, CA, Utah (loved the wings at Uinta), AZ, MT, WY, WI, IL, IN, MI, British Columbia and probably a few others.  I prefer ales- preferably amber, red and or brown. Alaskan Amber is one I keep going back to. Rock Bottom is my goto local restaurant. Currently have their Fire Chief on tap. I like 3 Floyds but don't get too often.  Will drink red/white wine when the occasion calls for it and whiskey but not a connoisseur. . 

Anyone do Moonshine tasting/drinking in the Gatlinburg, TN area? I love vacationing there, and one of my favorite things to do is go moonshine tasting. 

A well known restaurant, The Old Mill, has a distillery directly behind it. I tried their coffee moonshine and it was amazing!!! We are going back at the end of June and will be stocking up. Also, I can’t remember the name, but there’s a distillery at the outlet malls. Tried several of there’s that were decent, but they make a Butter Cake moonshine that is really good! Just don’t make the same mistake I did and go moonshine tasting on an empty stomach. Didn’t get super drunk but I was told I had an interesting time talking lol. Whoops!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Anyone do Moonshine tasting/drinking in the Gatlinburg, TN area? I love vacationing there, and one of my favorite things to do is go moonshine tasting. 

A well known restaurant, The Old Mill, has a distillery directly behind it. I tried their coffee moonshine and it was amazing!!! We are going back at the end of June and will be stocking up. Also, I can’t remember the name, but there’s a distillery at the outlet malls. Tried several of there’s that were decent, but they make a Butter Cake moonshine that is really good! Just don’t make the same mistake I did and go moonshine tasting on an empty stomach. Didn’t get super drunk but I was told I had an interesting time talking lol. Whoops!

Yes sir, I've made that walk a few times. Old Tennessee has multiple different locations that provide tasting. Note: the different locations don't communicate so you can go back and forth between them for a fun filled staggering good time. 

Our last trip down, I bought enough to get a free cooler, one of their promotions that day. Just down the street, there is pretty nice winery, that also offers samples. This worked out well for the wife. So off up into the mountains we went, to the cabin we rented. Cloths off, bottles in hand, into the hot tub on the back deck, which was only about 6' off the ground. 

The wife kept hoping to see a bear. Well I'll be damned, her wish came to, WAY too true. You see, the hot tub was off in one corner of the deck, away from the door into the house. This bear used that as a tactical advantage, as she obviously smelled Yankee's simmering in the life size hot pot. Up the post the bear came, trapping us away from the door. I am not sure if she ever saw one before, but we showed her two white bare asses as we freaked out.

She must have thought we needed to cook longer, as she jumped down and walked off with her cubs.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple new beers this weekend. Both were pretty good! The 4204 is a nice beer for those not wanting an after taste. Would be a good summer beer. The Goose Island is a nice mild beer with a nice little hop after taste. I’m not a big IPA fan even though I can drink them, so this is nice beer with a slight hop taste. 

86D150E3-10E5-4392-B1E2-9F5EA09EA184.jpeg

E8081FEA-BA76-43A2-BCCA-612091B12600.jpeg

45 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Tito's with a splash of orange juice is solid for me. I also enjoy a good Irish Whiskey.

Beer?

I love to experiment with random craft beers. My staple is still most anything by 3Floyd's. 

Although I do enjoy gumballhead, as far as wheat brews go, Schafly's hef is really hard to beat.

Irish Whiskey, any good recommendations? I really like Jameson but it messes with my stomach the next day. I drank it a few times to see if it was the food I ate instead, but got the same result....

If you like wheat beer, have you tried Goose Islands 312? It’s their Urban Wheat beer that is one of my all-time favorites. 

5 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Irish Whiskey, any good recommendations? I really like Jameson but it messes with my stomach the next day. I drank it a few times to see if it was the food I ate instead, but got the same result....

If you like wheat beer, have you tried Goose Islands 312? It’s their Urban Wheat beer that is one of my all-time favorites. 

312 is fantastic, agree 100%. Stll slightly favor schafly tho.

Jameson is my go to for Irish Whiskey. I have just not found one better (well,  not under $100 anyways).

However, Proper 12 is a solid alternative if Jameson is not an option.

7 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Any of the Redbreast are excellent. Much smoother than Jameson. IMHO.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:19 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

I’ve been a craft beer junkie for more than 10 years. Zombie Dust used to be thee beer a while back. Loaded with citra  hops, when fresh it was the best you could get IMO. But due to its popularity, the millions of breweries that seemed to pop up over night started to copy its flavor profile. I can’t tell you how many breweries I’ve been in where they told me ‘this IPA was made to taste like Zombie Dust’. 

So, now Zombie Dust is another great beer in a sea of great beers. Three Floyds upped its production, demand went down, and now you can get ZD in grocery stores up here in NWI. Which is a great thing.

The recent trend for the last year or 2 has been super juicy, hazy IPAs.....otherwise known as New England IPAs. And while you can get those in Indiana, Chicago is where to drink them. (Although I’ve had some pretty good ones from 450 in Columbus). Even been reading in beer publications that many say that NEIPAs are better in Chicago than in New England. If your in the area look for beers by More, Hop Butcher, Noon Whistle, Phase Three and others that I can’t think of right now. I have a Phase Three in my fridge right now and I swear one of those tall cans went down throat hole in under 5 minutes. At 8% sometimes you need to be careful. Haha. 

• Like 2