Beer/Alcohol Thread

10 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Had a couple new beers this weekend. Both were pretty good! The 4204 is a nice beer for those not wanting an after taste. Would be a good summer beer. The Goose Island is a nice mild beer with a nice little hop after taste. I’m not a big IPA fan even though I can drink them, so this is nice beer with a slight hop taste. 

86D150E3-10E5-4392-B1E2-9F5EA09EA184.jpeg

E8081FEA-BA76-43A2-BCCA-612091B12600.jpeg

The "KSHE Classic" brought back some good memories...KSHE 95 was THE rock radio station in St Louis when I lived across the river in Shiloh, Il. Use to go to a bar in Lebanon, Il called "Stonehenge" that hosted a lot of KSHE sponsored concerts...good times...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve been a craft beer junkie for more than 10 years. Zombie Dust used to be thee beer a while back. Loaded with citra  hops, when fresh it was the best you could get IMO. But due to its popularity, the millions of breweries that seemed to pop up over night started to copy its flavor profile. I can’t tell you how many breweries I’ve been in where they told me ‘this IPA was made to taste like Zombie Dust’. 

So, now Zombie Dust is another great beer in a sea of great beers. Three Floyds upped its production, demand went down, and now you can get ZD in grocery stores up here in NWI. Which is a great thing.

The recent trend for the last year or 2 has been super juicy, hazy IPAs.....otherwise known as New England IPAs. And while you can get those in Indiana, Chicago is where to drink them. (Although I’ve had some pretty good ones from 450 in Columbus). Even been reading in beer publications that many say that NEIPAs are better in Chicago than in New England. If your in the area look for beers by More, Hop Butcher, Noon Whistle, Phase Three and others that I can’t think of right now. I have a Phase Three in my fridge right now and I swear one of those tall cans went down throat hole in under 5 minutes. At 8% sometimes you need to be careful. Haha. 

Yep. I just saw Zombie Dust in Martins grocery store too this week. I'm from NW IN originally...now I'm closer to Kokomo area, and I've seen many Three Floyds beers stocked in grocery stores and local liquor stores. I'll try to check out some of the other beers you mentioned this year. Thanks for the tips...I'll post my thoughts after I have had a chance to check them out!

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep. I just saw Zombie Dust in Martins grocery store too this week. I'm from NW IN originally...now I'm closer to Kokomo area, and I've seen many Three Floyds beers stocked in grocery stores and local liquor stores. I'll try to check out some of the other beers you mentioned this year. Thanks for the tips...I'll post my thoughts after I have had a chance to check them out!

NP. All those breweries I mentioned don’t distribute to Indiana though - just locally. That said, you should be able to find them at a Binnys in Illinois. And in Indiana, 450s distribution is all messed up - I haven’t seen one of their beers in a store up here in a year. 

There are some other mass produced Hazy IPAs from Goose, Sierra Nevada, Revolution, Sam Adams, etc.  in stores, and while many are good, they’re not quite like the ones I mentioned above. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tried two beers by Kona I haven’t had before. Light Summer Ale and Wheat Ale. Both were good, not something I would get to have regularly, but nice for something different. Summer Ale has a little light citrus after taste (I’m not a fruity beer guy), and the Wheat Ale has more of a Whiteclaw type of taste to it.

Also tried Urban Chestnuts American Lager. I’m not a big Urban Chestnut fan even though it’s here in St. Louis, but I did like this one. Would recommend as a mild type of beer with no big aftertaste. 

Man, Zombie Dust brings back some memories for me. Wish we could get that here on the East Coast. I am pretty close to Other Half and Threes Brewing, which both make excellent beers. Other Half especially for big, honking cloudy IPAs. Before the pandemic, you could walk by their place early on a Saturday morning and there would already be people lined up around the block for new releases.

We also have a really cool beer place down the street  called Gold Star Beer Counter and they carry a lot of Sours from Upland - another blast from the past!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Man, Zombie Dust brings back some memories for me. Wish we could get that here on the East Coast. I am pretty close to Other Half and Threes Brewing, which both make excellent beers. Other Half especially for big, honking cloudy IPAs. Before the pandemic, you could walk by their place early on a Saturday morning and there would already be people lined up around the block for new releases.

We also have a really cool beer place down the street  called Gold Star Beer Counter and they carry a lot of Sours from Upland - another blast from the past!

I’ve heard of Other Half. Jealous you’re so close. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Beer is good. 

I am an IPA guy, like hoppy beers generally

Some I like 

Dogfish Head  - 90 min IPA, 60 min is good too

Boulevard Pale Ale ( a KC craft beer)

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger 

Stone IPA

Lagunitas IPA - underrated, great beer

But also like some of the staples 

Corona 

Heineken 

Havent drank in awhile but have you had...

Stone Ruination

Arrogant Bastard

Bells Hopslam

Lagunitas Brown Shugga

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ruination and Arrogant Bastard - yes, really good beers. 
have’t tried the other 2 - but will thx 

Every time Stone comes out with their Enjoy By beers, I need to get them. Great Brewery.

My ‘go to’ IPA though is Two Hearted. 

• Like 1

What about stouts? I love them but they sure don’t love me.

I’ve had countless stouts, but always come back to a good ole Breakfast Stout. 

As for Barrel Aged stouts, that’s a worm hole you don’t want to go down if you don’t like to spend money. I used to hunt these down, but just can’t anymore. Ever since I turned about 35, if I drink more than one I’ll wake up in the morning feeling like a train hit me - there’s just so much sugar in those things and the hangovers are fierce. I still love them though; I just usually have to split them with my wife or neighbors. Of course, Bourbon County is high up on my list - and any variants I can get my hands on, but I also love Firestone Prarabola and Big Bad Baptist. 

Never have been a fan of Darklord; I think it’s just way too sweet and can’t understand all the hype around it. 

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

As for Barrel Aged stouts, that’s a worm hole you don’t want to go down if you don’t like to spend money. I used to hunt these down, but just can’t anymore. Ever since I turned about 35, if I drink more than one I’ll wake up in the morning feeling like a train hit me - there’s just so much sugar in those things and the hangovers are fierce. I still love them though; I just usually have to split them with my wife or neighbors. Of course, Bourbon County is high up on my list - and any variants I can get my hands on, but I also love Firestone Prarabola and Big Bad Baptist. 

Never have been a fan of Darklord; I think it’s just way too sweet and can’t understand all the hype around it. 

I’m not a big stout fan, just haven’t been able to develop the taste for it. Mostly a pale ale, lager, and wheat beer type of guy. 

On 5/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, tdhoosier said:

I also enjoy the imperial and barrel aged stouts. I’ve even started putting together my own cellar. 
I’ve got a couple bottles of BCBS. I’m surprised how easy it has been to find this year. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 3:59 PM, JaybobHoosier said:

Not an IPA guy. I used to not be able to drink them, but now I can if someone hands me one. Just had a good wheat beer today, Oberon American Wheat Ale. Highly recommend.

Oberon is good summer beer.  Drink a lot of Bells when in MI during the summer.  Hoping the breweries are open when I go this weekend. Looks like only N MI is opening up tho. What a shame.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 9:44 PM, Reacher said:

Oberon is good summer beer.  Drink a lot of Bells when in MI during the summer.  Hoping the breweries are open when I go this weekend. Looks like only N MI is opening up tho. What a shame.

Oberon is always a mark of summer for me. Love when I start seeing it in bars and stores. Big question is orange slice or no in your Oberon.

• Like 1