Beer/Alcohol Thread

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Nice! If you come back down south Transient Artisan Ales in Bridgman is by far (in my opinion) the best of the breweries in SW Michigan....possibly one of the best in the entire Midwest...beer nerds flock there on their special release days. Their NEIPAs are to die for and their Buckley stouts are incredible. I actually just saw in my FB feed that they have a Bark Lord on tap haha: imperial stout with Tugboat coffee, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon

There’s also a Haymarket tap room at the exit, which is really good. And Tapistry is across the street from Transient (which is meh).  

I've driven by Haymarket several times...need to stop at some of these next summer when we go back up...

18 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Nice! If you come back down south Transient Artisan Ales in Bridgman is by far (in my opinion) the best of the breweries in SW Michigan....possibly one of the best in the entire Midwest...beer nerds flock there on their special release days. Their NEIPAs are to die for and their Buckley stouts are incredible. I actually just saw in my FB feed that they have a Bark Lord on tap haha: imperial stout with Tugboat coffee, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon

There’s also a Haymarket tap room at the exit, which is really good. And Tapistry is across the street from Transient (which is meh).  

16 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I've driven by Haymarket several times...need to stop at some of these next summer when we go back up...

Plan is to stop in Bridgman today on the way home. If it works out, will try and get to Transient. A few times per year we'll stop off at that exit. Weko Beach is dog friendly. Have stopped at Haymarket a handful of times. They have good beer and their wood fired pizzas are good for dinner while driving home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Plan is to stop in Bridgman today on the way home. If it works out, will try and get to Transient. A few times per year we'll stop off at that exit. Weko Beach is dog friendly. Have stopped at Haymarket a handful of times. They have good beer and their wood fired pizzas are good for dinner while driving home. 

It’s a small place and tends to get packed. Especially on a nice day like this. If that’s the case and you are big on IPAs, at the very least get a 4 pack to go. The restaurant across the street has some killer poutine as well. 

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I bought a 12 fall pack of Sam Adams yesterday and a voodoo ranger 12 pack mixed. Had a pumpkin Sam Adams last night that hit the spot.

Keep the recommendations coming...I am intrigued by the sour beers especially and fall beers...

For pumpkin beers I like Dogfishhead Punkin Ale and Schlafly’s pumpkin beer. 

Another unique fall one is rauchbier. Schlenkerla is a good one but the style is pretty tough to find. It’s a German smoked beer. 

38E6DFD3-83D9-4212-9A82-D376CA086CAD.jpeg

Edited by BeerBQ
Added picture
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s a small place and tends to get packed. Especially on a nice day like this. If that’s the case and you are big on IPAs, at the very least get a 4 pack to go. The restaurant across the street has some killer poutine as well. 

Stopped at Transient. It was crowded. Tapistry, across the street, wasn't. My wife and I each had a beer there and shared each other's so we could try 2. Neither of us were impressed. It may have had something to do with the beers we picked. She went with a blond ale and also liked another (Farmhouse Ale?) so I got that one so she could try it. Would definitely go back there but I also like Haymarket. 

Next up was Greenbush a few miles down the road. Had dinner there. Was crowded but only a 10 minute wait for an indoor table. Food was pretty basic and nothing special. Again, the beers left us disappointed. 

Silver Harbor and Saugatuck had much better food and beers in our opinion. Saugutuck had a bonfire brown that I liked it is a good fall beer. 

Add in the Strand and we got in 5 brewpubs in 3 days. Was a nice little weekend getaway. Normally, we are lucky if get in one. 

Next on the list are Ghost Isle and the Beer Church Brewery in New Buffalo. I went to beer church when it first opened. Now I see they have food so like to see how they have grown. 

20200920_205304.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Stopped at Transient. It was crowded. Tapistry, across the street, wasn't. My wife and I each had a beer there and shared each other's so we could try 2. Neither of us were impressed. It may have had something to do with the beers we picked. She went with a blond ale and also liked another (Farmhouse Ale?) so I got that one so she could try it. Would definitely go back there but I also like Haymarket. 

Next up was Greenbush a few miles down the road. Had dinner there. Was crowded but only a 10 minute wait for an indoor table. Food was pretty basic and nothing special. Again, the beers left us disappointed. 

Silver Harbor and Saugatuck had much better food and beers in our opinion. Saugutuck had a bonfire brown that I liked it is a good fall beer. 

Add in the Strand and we got in 5 brewpubs in 3 days. Was a nice little weekend getaway. Normally, we are lucky if get in one. 

Next on the list are Ghost Isle and the Beer Church Brewery in New Buffalo. I went to beer church when it first opened. Now I see they have food so like to see how they have grown. 

20200920_205304.jpg

Yeah. Tapestry is not great; probably why it’s always empty. Stinks that Transient was crowded. 

Beer Church is awesome. Only went there once....they forgot to bring out our pizza and we were there for longer than expected. But both pizza and beer were great. Never heard of Ghost Isle....need to check it out.  

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yeah. Tapestry is not great; probably why it’s always empty. Stinks that Transient was crowded. 

Beer Church is awesome. Only went there once....they forgot to bring out our pizza and we were there for longer than expected. But both pizza and beer were great. Never heard of Ghost Isle....need to check it out.  

https://www.ghostislebrewery.com/

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

20200920_205304.jpg

Is Silver Harbor near Silver Beach Pizza? I don't remember seeing that place ever in St Joseph...might check it out next summer.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Is Silver Harbor near Silver Beach Pizza? I don't remember seeing that place ever in St Joseph...might check it out next summer.

Worth checking out. If you go there, make sure to get one of their beers infused with smoke. It's a few blocks away from the main tourist shops so night right downtown with all the other places. Google will show you the way. https://www.silverharborbrewing.com/home

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d2acf634f8007a49cdc45946618d91be.jpeg

Sports Ballin’ is a collaboration between four breweries - Other Half (here in Brooklyn), Equilibrium, Vitamin Sea, and Trillium. It’s an 8% ABV Double IPA and it’s delicious! They did this during The Last Dance documentary airing, so I always picture it as Michael and Larry. 

Are you able to get Trillium in NY? Always have wanted to try one of theirs. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Are you able to get Trillium in NY? Always have wanted to try one of theirs. 

Very rarely. When I see it, I grab it. You might regret clicking on this link, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. Prices are a bit much, but if there’s ever a beer that you want, but can’t get locally...

https://www.mybeercollectibles.com/search?parent_id=&keywords=trillium

I’ve bought Monkish cans that we can’t get on the East Coast from this site a few times and it’s always quick and easy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Very rarely. When I see it, I grab it. You might regret clicking on this link, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. Prices are a bit much, but if there’s ever a beer that you want, but can’t get locally...

https://www.mybeercollectibles.com/search?parent_id=&keywords=trillium

I’ve bought Monkish cans that we can’t get on the East Coast from this site a few times and it’s always quick and easy. 

whoa. I can deal with the prices on the beer....it's the shipping that's always the problem. Yeah, I can buy a can of Trillium for $5, but it will be $13 to ship it. 

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

whoa. I can deal with the prices on the beer....it's the shipping that's always the problem. Yeah, I can buy a can of Trillium for $5, but it will be $13 to ship it. 

I always order a four pack at least or an 8 pack. Find a seller that has tons of Trillium, pick the four you want and it’s usually like $14 or 15 for combined shipping. Still steep for sure, but you can get beers you can’t normally get. 

My wife is always like, “Hey, we got another package. Did you order more beer?”