Beer/Alcohol Thread

20 hours ago, Reacher said:

Sorry to see the Octoberfests go but it is now Winter Ale season!

Darker ales tend to give me a bit of a headache, but I do like the flavor of a nice winter ale or barley wine. 

Of course it could also be the quantity of beer that leads to the headache. 🤠

I just ordered some beer from Burial in Asheville. So glad that they ship nowadays. I think they are in my top five breweries in the US. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Gonna break out the special stuff today. 

ED301E85-BE99-4CCE-A5AF-7D3EEC95FFCD.jpeg

OK, I need your help. Just scored a six pack. 6 of the 7 different 2020 releases. I see you can sell the empty bottles on ebay. My problem is how am I going to decide which one to drink and when? One says it will continue to age for 5 years so I can stash that one away. 1 for the New Years Day bowl game. How long have you been drinking the GI Bourbon County and do you just save for special occasions?

• Like 1

Good score. Which ones did you get? Pics?

People may be selling empty bottles on eBay, but I can’t imagine they are getting much. Some home brewers may use them to rebottle.

Where to start...

I’ve been getting BCBS for more than 10 years. It’s one of my favorite beers; they have a distinct flavor that you don’t get in other bourbon aged stouts. You can age these for quite a long time. Do they get better with age? It depends on your pallet and the variant you are drinking. Rule of thumb is you drink the coffee variants fresh because the coffee flavor will fade with age. And then there are certain variants the mellow with age. For the Mon Cheri variant I posted above, I sat on it a year because I heard from friends the cherry flavor was a bit overwhelming. (The verdict: cherry flavor was good, but the stout was a little too sweet for my liking.)

How long can you age? I’ve had a vanilla variant from 2012 a couple of years ago (maybe 6 years old when I opened it) and it was still outstanding. 

All that said, don’t overly concern yourself with aging (especially the regulars). Haha. I’ve done a few verticals, which is drinking consecutive years, one after another and I honestly can’t tell much of a difference. I’d just drink them sparingly throughout the year until you can get more next year.  

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Good score. Which ones did you get? Pics?

People may be selling empty bottles on eBay, but I can’t imagine they are getting much. Some home brewers may use them to rebottle.

Where to start...

I’ve been getting BCBS for more than 10 years. It’s one of my favorite beers; they have a distinct flavor that you don’t get in other bourbon aged stouts. You can age these for quite a long time. Do they get better with age? It depends on your pallet and the variant you are drinking. Rule of thumb is you drink the coffee variants fresh because the coffee flavor will fade with age. And then there are certain variants the mellow with age. For the Mon Cheri variant I posted above, I sat on it a year because I heard from friends the cherry flavor was a bit overwhelming. (The verdict: cherry flavor was good, but the stout was a little too sweet for my liking.)

How long can you age? I’ve had a vanilla variant from 2012 a couple of years ago (maybe 6 years old when I opened it) and it was still outstanding. 

All that said, don’t overly concern yourself with aging (especially the regulars). Haha. I’ve done a few verticals, which is drinking consecutive years, one after another and I honestly can’t tell much of a difference. I’d just drink them sparingly throughout the year until you can get more next year.  

I think I have all 6 variations- just not the original. I'm really looking forward to the Caramella one. I'm going to try and save 1 or 2 for future years. The Kentucky fog is made with tea. Do you think that flavor will be very noticeable? I'm not a tea drinker so maybe I'll gift that one to my brother. All of sudden, I'm down to 3.

I've never spent anywhere near $150 on a 6 pack before. Told my wife I just did her Christmas shopping for me. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2020/11/26/black-friday-2020-goose-islands-bourbon-county-stouts-beer/6399250002/

20201127_110600.jpg

Edited by Reacher

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think I have all 6 variations- just not the original. I'm really looking forward to the Caramella one. I'm going to try and save 1 or 2 for future years. The Kentucky fog is made with tea. Do you think that flavor will be very noticeable? I'm not a tea drinker so maybe I'll gift that one to my brother. All of sudden, I'm down to 3.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2020/11/26/black-friday-2020-goose-islands-bourbon-county-stouts-beer/6399250002/

20201127_110600.jpg

Nice. I have never tried any of these...what are they charging per bottle? Do they sell out quickly?

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Nice. I have never tried any of these...what are they charging per bottle? Do they sell out quickly?

Usually people line up at Binnys for these. This year they had a lottery. My local grocery store was one of the outlets this year which is where I went. There were 20 people in line by 7am. I was tenth and got the last bottle of one of the varieties. Price varied from, I think, $16.99 - $26.99. I'm excited to try one. They rank a 100 on Beer Advocate with 13,000+ reviews. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I've never spent anywhere near $150 on a 6 pack before. Told my wife I just did her Christmas shopping for me. 

20201127_110600.jpg

Wow. Jealous. You got all the good stuff. I think this is the first year they made it with tea so I have no idea. And you got the Prop! Usually that’s the best of the bunch and they only sell them in the Chicago area. Every year they make the Proprietors differently...one year (I think is was 2014) I had some and it was probably the best beer I’ve ever had. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Usually people line up at Binnys for these. This year they had a lottery. My local grocery store was one of the outlets this year which is where I went. There were 20 people in line by 7am. I was tenth and got the last bottle of one of the varieties. Price varied from, I think, $16.99 - $26.99. I'm excited to try one. They rank a 100 on Beer Advocate with 13,000+ reviews. 

Binny’s Beverage Depo! That’s a name I haven’t heard in ages. Loved that place.

I didn’t see any BCBS yet this year. I usually go to a store that does a raffle to decide order of picking the different beers they have. That was cancelled due to COVID and they just asked people not to line up as they opened. People did and sold out before I got there. 

I have another place that thinks they’ll get some still this year and a place I haven’t checked that still has 2019. 

I have bottles of 17, 8, and 19 in the basement, but only the originals. 

• Like 1

My Costco still had quite a bit of the regular BCBS this morning. Grabbed a few for $10. 

I guess that’s better than waiting in line yesterday to get the same thing because all the variants run out in the first 5 minutes. I’ve learned my lesson....and I don’t have the desire to camp out for hours. Illinois stores get a much bigger allotment of the variants than here in NWI so I just don’t make the effort these days. 

Did you crack one open @Reacher ? How’d you like it? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

@Reacher, got a Caramella for Christmas. Drinking it now and it’s oddly good...like liquid apple pie. You try yours yet?

No. That is the one I am looking forward to the most. Noyt going to share that tidbit with the wife or she will want to share, lol. Will try and save that one for a special occasion.  Thinking about having one of the others during the football game tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dont drink anymore but Narwhal and Russian Imperial Stouts were my bag. Along with Sierra Nevadas Bigfoot. 

I have a few Bigfoots but haven’t had one in a while. Last weekend we did 5 years of KBS. 

The imperial and barrel aged stouts are great.  

16 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I have a few Bigfoots but haven’t had one in a while. Last weekend we did 5 years of KBS. 

The imperial and barrel aged stouts are great.  

It’s strange. BA stouts never used to be readily available so I always drank more imperial stouts. Lately you can get BA Stouts all the time, even during the summer. And I love the fact that I can go to the store and just grab a KBS off the shelf instead of waiting in line for one. 

All that said, due to the availability of BA stouts it’s been quite a while since I’ve had a straight up imperial. My drinking habits completely flip flopped. Last week I grabbed a 10w-40 and forgot how much I enjoyed them. First one I’ve had in forever.

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s strange. BA stouts never used to be readily available so I always drank more imperial stouts. Lately you can get BA Stouts all the time, even during the summer. And I love the fact that I can go to the store and just grab a KBS off the shelf instead of waiting in line for one. 

All that said, due to the availability of BA stouts it’s been quite a while since I’ve had a straight up imperial. My drinking habits completely flip flopped. Last week I grabbed a 10w-40 and forgot how much I enjoyed them. First one I’ve had in forever.

Haven’t had 10w-40 but I’ll have to look for it. I judge ba stouts on New Holland Dragon’s Milk. It’s well priced, easily available, and tasty. 

• 4 weeks later...