Beer/Alcohol Thread

57 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Anyone find themselves getting sick of the hazy IPA phase and drinking more crispy bois? I’ve really cut down on the hazy IPAs and am drinking a lot more pilsners and I’ll try any Helles lager is see lately. 

Hazy IPAs just make me feel like 💩....so from that aspect I need to take breaks. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Hazy IPAs just make me feel like 💩....so from that aspect I need to take breaks. 

I feel like there are just SO many of them. I’m about a 20 minute walk from Other Half and they have so many I’ve wanted recently, but it’s just getting to be so same-ish. And their most recent 7th Anniversary collaborations have all been meh. They smell and taste more like orange juice than beer. 

I think my palate is just burnt out with the hazies. 

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Anyone find themselves getting sick of the hazy IPA phase and drinking more crispy bois? I’ve really cut down on the hazy IPAs and am drinking a lot more pilsners and I’ll try any Helles lager is see lately. 

Gibsons restaurant has a house beer - Gibsons Gold that is a Helles brewed by Haymarket Brewery. I've had that one a few times.  I've just started sampling NEIPAs. The Hazy IPA and crispy bois haven't made it in to my rotations as of yet. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 7:00 PM, Reacher said:

Gibsons restaurant has a house beer - Gibsons Gold that is a Helles brewed by Haymarket Brewery. I've had that one a few times.  I've just started sampling NEIPAs. The Hazy IPA and crispy bois haven't made it in to my rotations as of yet. 

I think my taste buds have kind of been burned out by all of the hazy IPAs. It’s crazy b/c some of them are more like an orange juice more than a beer. 

The Gibson’s Gold Helles sounds incredible. Something so refreshing about a really well done lager.  

16 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I think my taste buds have kind of been burned out by all of the hazy IPAs. It’s crazy b/c some of them are more like an orange juice more than a beer. 

The Gibson’s Gold Helles sounds incredible. Something so refreshing about a really well done lager.  

It's crazy how this happens. I remember the day when a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's hoppiness made me wince. After all these hazies, double IPAs and even triple IPAs, a Sierra Nevada is just as mild to me now as a Budweiser. 

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It's crazy how this happens. I remember the day when a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's hoppiness made me wince. After all these hazies, double IPAs and even triple IPAs, a Sierra Nevada is just as mild to me now as a Budweiser. 

I absolutely love a simple Sierra Nevada pale ale. It’s like an instant time travel back to living in Broad Ripple. The Broad Ripple Tavern was close to our place and they served this on draft back when it was kind of a big deal. 

Edited by Lostin76

• 4 weeks later...

Tried some new ones over the weekend while in AZ. Went to Four Peaks. Have had their kiltlifter many a times but wasn't impressed with much else. The Phoenix Beer Co, on the other hand, had a several nice ones. I saw this one  and had to try it. Was surprised by how good it was.

https://www.phxbeerco.com/our-beers#menu=our-beers&item=sonoran-white-chocolate-ale

Even smelled like white chocolate.  A really great tasting lighter beer.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Reacher said:

Tried some new ones over the weekend while in AZ. Went to Four Peaks. Have had their kiltlifter many a times but wasn't impressed with much else. The Phoenix Beer Co, on the other hand, had a several nice ones. I saw this one  and had to try it. Was surprised by how good it was.

https://www.phxbeerco.com/our-beers#menu=our-beers&item=sonoran-white-chocolate-ale

My wife and i are taking off for a long weekend in Scottsdale in May. Any other good AZ breweries to look out for. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My wife and i are taking off for a long weekend in Scottsdale in May. Any other good AZ breweries to look out for. 

I'd ask @HoosierFaithful. I ate / drank at OSHO a year or two ago and all I remember is their patio misters made it very comfortable on a hot day, lol. Definitely recommend PHX Beer Co. 4 Peaks is the big name out there and you can get their beers all over. While not a brewery, Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers is a local chain you might want to check out. Otherwise, the area is loaded with good restaurants. I go to AZ to see clients, hike and eat. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd ask @HoosierFaithful. I ate / drank at OSHO a year or two ago and all I remember is their patio misters made it very comfortable on a hot day, lol. Definitely recommend PHX Beer Co. $ Peaks is the big name out there and you can get their beers all over. While not a brewery, Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers is a local chain you might want to check out. Otherwise, the area is loaded with good restaurants. I go to AZ to see clients, hike and eat. 

Thanks. I came across Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers in some preliminary research. Our hotel is right in Old Town, so the restaurant options almost seem overwhelming. 

I'm also a self proclaimed connoisseur of Mexican food...and I'd imagine the Southwest will have a bunch of good options. So if @HoosierFaithful is so kind to respond, include those recommendations as well.  

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I tried Sam Adams "Cold Snap" beer last weekend and it was good but not great to me. I like the Sam Adams fall beers better.

I agree. I'll take the Octoberfest all day long. My wife likes the Cold Snap so I usually have it on hand at this time of year. Fun to drink during the polar vortex if nothing else. Then it is Summer Shandy season for her.

Since we are heading into March, I bought a 12 pack of Smithwicks Red Ale. I'll start into that for the game on Wed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks. I came across Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers in some preliminary research. Our hotel is right in Old Town, so the restaurant options almost seem overwhelming. 

I'm also a self proclaimed connoisseur of Mexican food...and I'd imagine the Southwest will have a bunch of good options. So if @HoosierFaithful is so kind to respond, include those recommendations as well.  

If you need a breakfast place, Butters Pancakes, right next to the PHX Beer Co, is very good. Personally, I prefer Hurts doughnuts. There is one just South of there off the 202. 

20210221_083836.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I tried Sam Adams "Cold Snap" beer last weekend and it was good but not great to me. I like the Sam Adams fall beers better.

The only Sam Adams that does it for me is Octoberfest. All their other beers fall short, IMO. And don't get me started on their hop forward beers. They are horrible. My friends make better IPAs with their Bed Bath and Beyond brew kits. 

Sorry, my inner beer snob came out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

The only Sam Adams that does it for me is Octoberfest. All their other beers fall short, IMO. And don't get me started on their hop forward beers. They are horrible. My friends make better IPAs with their Bed Bath and Beyond brew kits. 

Sorry, my inner beer snob came out. 

Funny thing...I don't care for regular Sam Adams beer. I like their Octoberfest and Pumpkin beers. My friend texted me a couple weeks back and told me he liked this cold snap beer and I should give it a try so I did. It's not something I would make much of an effort to get, but I would maybe pick up a six or twelve pack once a year. I never tried their hop forward beers...so I can't comment on those.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

how fun!  May is goregous.  I'm unfortunately a bit underwhelmed by the local beer but venturing west does bring us closer to CA and CO, which have tremendous beer IMO and thus most bars have those at the very least.

I live in Phoenix, so unfortunately my knowledge of Scottsdale is a bit on the smaller side, but a few recommendations:

OHSO is wonderful - huge patio, good bar food, and I'm a fan of the beer selection.

Hula's Modern Tiki is a fun Hawaiian fusion that has an all day happy hour on Wednesday which... coincidentally.. is today now that I think about it.

Wren House comes highly recommended, but I haven't been.  

Arizona Wilderness in downtown Phoenix is new and has a huge tap list and their beer is really solid.

Four Peaks is probably the most notable AZ brewery.  Good, not amazing.  

San Tan and Huss are both pretty solid.

AS FOR MEXICAN FOOD:

If you're interested in authentic Mexican tacos, I recommend Tacos Chiwas or Tacos Huichos.  I've done... extensive research.  La Santisima is a wonderful authentic joint with tacos/burritos/etc.

People rave about Diego Pops in Scottsdale.  Blanco Tacos/Tequila is good and a bit more "mainstream" than the authentic places above.

Feel free to PM me if you come across particulars and want some feedback.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Reacher said:

If you're an IPA guy (or if others are), the Four Peaks Hop Knot is a go to.

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

how fun!  May is goregous.  I'm unfortunately a bit underwhelmed by the local beer but venturing west does bring us closer to CA and CO, which have tremendous beer IMO and thus most bars have those at the very least.

I live in Phoenix, so unfortunately my knowledge of Scottsdale is a bit on the smaller side, but a few recommendations:

OHSO is wonderful - huge patio, good bar food, and I'm a fan of the beer selection.

Hula's Modern Tiki is a fun Hawaiian fusion that has an all day happy hour on Wednesday which... coincidentally.. is today now that I think about it.

Wren House comes highly recommended, but I haven't been.  

Arizona Wilderness in downtown Phoenix is new and has a huge tap list and their beer is really solid.

Four Peaks is probably the most notable AZ brewery.  Good, not amazing.  

San Tan and Huss are both pretty solid.

AS FOR MEXICAN FOOD:

If you're interested in authentic Mexican tacos, I recommend Tacos Chiwas or Tacos Huichos.  I've done... extensive research.  La Santisima is a wonderful authentic joint with tacos/burritos/etc.

People rave about Diego Pops in Scottsdale.  Blanco Tacos/Tequila is good and a bit more "mainstream" than the authentic places above.

Feel free to PM me if you come across particulars and want some feedback.  

Thanks! A whole bunch of useful information and I’ll be studying up. 

Can’t wait to go...hoping I’ll be vaccinated by then (my wife is good to go). I just couldn’t pass up the prices though; my wife are flying out there and back for a total of 15k points on Southwest.  

• 3 weeks later...