Beer/Alcohol Thread

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What's the verdict?

Dont drink anymore but when I did would pick up a single or two on the way to brown county. Great campfire beer. 

If you can find Upland Oktoberfest this fall give that a try. If not, heck I'll mail you some. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

While in S IL over the weekend, I decided to sneak into enemy territory. Crossed the Ohio river into Paducah KY and tried out the Paducah Beer Werx. I thought the beer was above average, the food average, and ambiance below average. Brought home a couple 6 packs. Some people visit National Parks, or baseball stadiums, I'm working on visiting a brewpub in all 50 states, lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:37 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

how fun!  May is goregous.  I'm unfortunately a bit underwhelmed by the local beer but venturing west does bring us closer to CA and CO, which have tremendous beer IMO and thus most bars have those at the very least.

I live in Phoenix, so unfortunately my knowledge of Scottsdale is a bit on the smaller side, but a few recommendations:

OHSO is wonderful - huge patio, good bar food, and I'm a fan of the beer selection.

Hula's Modern Tiki is a fun Hawaiian fusion that has an all day happy hour on Wednesday which... coincidentally.. is today now that I think about it.

Wren House comes highly recommended, but I haven't been.  

Arizona Wilderness in downtown Phoenix is new and has a huge tap list and their beer is really solid.

Four Peaks is probably the most notable AZ brewery.  Good, not amazing.  

San Tan and Huss are both pretty solid.

AS FOR MEXICAN FOOD:

If you're interested in authentic Mexican tacos, I recommend Tacos Chiwas or Tacos Huichos.  I've done... extensive research.  La Santisima is a wonderful authentic joint with tacos/burritos/etc.

People rave about Diego Pops in Scottsdale.  Blanco Tacos/Tequila is good and a bit more "mainstream" than the authentic places above.

Feel free to PM me if you come across particulars and want some feedback.  

Been meaning to follow up about this since I got back. We had too many recommendations and not enough time. 

We went to Wren right after we landed, on the way to the hotel. Great beers. Spellbound was my favorite and I got a growler to go.

Best meal was a tie between The Mission (mexican) and Bourbon & Bones. 

Best drink: Spa Water @ Cullinary School Dropout. It was juiced cilantro, mint, jalapeno, pineapple and tequila blanco. So freaking good....and I was getting my vitamins! 

Overall, Scottsdale is an odd place. No doubt the Beverly Hills of AZ. Fake boobs, fake hair, fake lips and "little pink Lamborghinis for you and me". (I really saw pink Lambos)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 8:59 PM, BeerBQ said:

That is actually pretty normal for a barrel aged beer. 
It’s pretty common to see them as high as 12-13%. 

Tasty high APV beer needs to come with a clearly defined warning. Pre-pandemic, my last company event in Texas had Revolver’s Blood & Honey on tap. I believe it’s almost 8%, but not knowing this, I was downing them like they were 3-4%. 

• Like 1

My little town of Gosport,IN has a “new” pizza joint and self serve tap room. I finally tried it out today and it’s a pretty cool concept. 
I haven’t seen that many people in a town of 800, on a Sunday afternoon ever! 
all there selections are beers from Indiana breweries, with a few of your normal redneck traditionals thrown in. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My little town of Gosport,IN has a “new” pizza joint and self serve tap room. I finally tried it out today and it’s a pretty cool concept. 
all there selections are beers from Indiana breweries, with a few of your normal redneck traditionals thrown in. 

Free refills?  Now where is this place at?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

So how much for a glass?

For Fathers Day I had a bottle of my Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. The Caramella one. Very enjoyable.

A couple weeks ago in MI I went to get a growler refilled at the local place. They only had 2 of their house brews available. Neither looked appealing but what is a man standing at the bar with an empty growler to do? I cannot remember the name but I ended up with some awful tasting fruity sour beer. 

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So how much for a glass?

So you get a small card that is tied to your check in info. Each tap has a card reader attached to it. Insert the card, pour and it charges per ounce. I think it was like $.34 per ounce or something (or at least that was one that I looked at. I'm not sure if they were all the same or not. 

I poured a 12 ounc'er ish of some Orange blossom (don't recall the brewery, I was probably drunk). It was ~$4.00

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 5:57 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I suspect we'll be checking that out as we go right through Gosport when we go to Indy (live just off 67 a couple of hours southwest).  My daughter and I appreciate the tip!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're needing a refill for your holiday parties, give Braxton Brewery's Garage Beer a try. Yes, that's seriously the name. Braxton's is a microbrewery from Covington, KY, and this is their original/flagship.

It's a very simple but tasty, easy drinking lager. Think of a typical mainstream lager, but with a very clean taste and just a tiny, tiny bit more of a hop bite. Could easily be swapped in for most typical macros and 80% of people wouldn't complain. Most would say it's an improvement. Not sure on availability, but the Cincinnati area Krogers have been in abundant supply. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 6:11 PM, Zlinedavid said:

If you're needing a refill for your holiday parties, give Braxton Brewery's Garage Beer a try. Yes, that's seriously the name. Braxton's is a microbrewery from Covington, KY, and this is their original/flagship.

It's a very simple but tasty, easy drinking lager. Think of a typical mainstream lager, but with a very clean taste and just a tiny, tiny bit more of a hop bite. Could easily be swapped in for most typical macros and 80% of people wouldn't complain. Most would say it's an improvement. Not sure on availability, but the Cincinnati area Krogers have been in abundant supply. 

I like a good lager but didn’t see any at the store. I did get a can of their summer beer.