Beer/Alcohol Thread

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Grolsch Pilsner is really good, had that on the cruise ship. Other picture is of arguably my all time favorite drink, Coffee Moonshine from Ole Forge Distillery in Pigeon Forge, TN.

8FF80344-268F-4C2C-9361-BC1F3F1F55E5.jpeg

717580FE-8C9C-4F8D-B5AD-FC486C78F33C.jpeg

The whole Old Forge area is really cool. We did the tasting there last fall and ate at a smaller restaurant in the area. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

The whole Old Forge area is really cool. We did the tasting there last fall and ate at a smaller restaurant in the area. 

It’s a good one. Old Feed Mill restaurant is pretty good (a little overrated imo, but still good).

There is another distillery that is in the outlet mall. Have a good variety that doesn’t taste like flavored medicine (fruit stuff), but my favorite of theirs is called Butter Cake. It’s like drinking a hard vanilla cupcake. Very dangerous lol. 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:31 PM, tdhoosier said:

I remember the days of peeing in my pants if seeing Three Floyds in a liquor store. Zombie Dust must be the most copied recipe since then. There are now so many Citra Hopped APAs that taste exactly like it. (I.e. Maplewood Charlatan)

Thinking out loud about beers….I’ve always hated Daisy Cutter. I try to come back to it every 2-3 years and still it tastes too earthy and bitter for my liking. This week I grabbed a Galaxy Hopped Double Daisy Cutter and it was absolutely amazing.

On the flip side: I love Two Hearted and can’t stand Double Two Hearted. 

Funny how beer recipes can be like that. 

Daisy Cutter is one of my favorites, though I like a good west coast style hoppy bite. Haven't tried the double yet, mainly because it's described as having a grapefruit flavor and that's just personally not a profile I enjoy.

I'm with you on Double Two Hearted. The original is so well crafted, but the balance is all off in the double.

Here in town there's Daredevil brewing and their flagship Liftoff IPA. It's good, but I like the Rip Cord DIPA even better.

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

It’s a good one. Old Feed Mill restaurant is pretty good (a little overrated imo, but still good).

There is another distillery that is in the outlet mall. Have a good variety that doesn’t taste like flavored medicine (fruit stuff), but my favorite of theirs is called Butter Cake. It’s like drinking a hard vanilla cupcake. Very dangerous lol. 

I think we ate at a pottery cafe type place. 

Does the one you’re talking about by the outlets have a number in the name? I think we stopped there at one point. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, BeerBQ said:

I think we ate at a pottery cafe type place. 

Does the one you’re talking about by the outlets have a number in the name? I think we stopped there at one point. 

Smith Creek is the distillery in the outlet mall, but you are not far off. The place I believe you are thinking of is Junction 35. It’s in the outlet mall and a nicer restaurant. First time I went there I was drunk off of moonshine at Smith Creek with NO food in my system. Very smart to go sample moonshine on an empty stomach.

17 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Smith Creek is the distillery in the outlet mall, but you are not far off. The place I believe you are thinking of is Junction 35. It’s in the outlet mall and a nicer restaurant. First time I went there I was drunk off of moonshine at Smith Creek with NO food in my system. Very smart to go sample moonshine on an empty stomach.

“Someone bring this man some food”

*sets down a Guinness* 

Pork chop in a glass, my friend. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, Zlinedavid said:

“Someone bring this man some food”

*sets down a Guinness* 

Pork chop in a glass, my friend. 🤣

My family are fairly anti-drinking (both parents grew up that way), and it just happened to be on vacation with them….. Trying to seem like I’m sober was interesting lol. I didn’t talk much because my wife told me a wreaked of alcohol. Whoops :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Did some drinking over the weekend, I’m sure I’m not the only one. Had a Bud Select (my go to if I have to pick a major bud product) and Kona Big Wave at Busch Stadium yesterday.

Wife made blackberry whiskey lemonade that isn’t too bad. A little tart for me, could use some simple syrup or something. Hermann, MO is a neat little town about an hour west of St. Louis that’s a major wine territory, but also German themed. Blackshire Distillery is there and we got a bottle of blackberry whiskey. Good stuff for something different.

Also had some 100 proof whiskey last night as well that was really good. No burn, but definitely warms the chest lol. Ever since my golf scramble incident a few years back, I’ve had trouble drinking stuff straight. Luckily I was able to do this just fine.

I went to the Indy 500, and bought some Race Day Lager from Daredevil Brewing Speedway specifically for the occasion. Lagers aren't usually my thing unless they're roasted like a Dunkel or have some bite like a Vienna, but this was a good one for the style. My buddy who was drinking Miller Lite ended up taking one of mine and enjoyed it.

I packed some Rip Cord as well to be safe, and man that's one of my very favorites. An easy drinking DIPA that's full of flavor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

A trip down memory lane... 

"14 Discontinued Beers You'll Never Drink Again" https://www.mashed.com/883993/discontinued-beers-youll-never-drink-again/

I was gonna say they missed Löwenbräu but evidently it's still brewed in both Canada and Europe... Haven't seen the US version in years...

"Mickey, give me your biggest steak and a bottle of Löwenbräu." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I was gonna say they missed Löwenbräu but evidently it's still brewed in both Canada and Europe... Haven't seen the US version in years...

"Mickey, give me your biggest steak and a bottle of Löwenbräu." 

this made me think of Little Kings Cream Ale. Thought for sure they didn’t make that anymore, but it seems like someone is still producing it. 😩

8 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

this made me think of Little Kings Cream Ale. Thought for sure they didn’t make that anymore, but it seems like someone is still producing it. 😩

I thought this was the Cream Ale of NY?

559824825_Screenshot_20220604-2032112.thumb.png.8cc2838ea18fd160570aa0d06d6be651.png

When I was in Greenland and the 109th ANG out of Schenectady, Ny came to resupply the DEW Line sites, the first thing off the C-130 was a pallet of Genesee Cream Ale, and another of Genesee beer.

A welcome change from Tuborg... 

Edited by IUFLA

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I thought this was the Cream Ale of NY?

559824825_Screenshot_20220604-2032112.thumb.png.8cc2838ea18fd160570aa0d06d6be651.png

When I was in Greenland and the 109th ANG out of Schenectady, Ny came to resupply the DEW Line sites, the first thing off the C-130 was a pallet of Genesee Cream Ale, and another of Genesee beer.

A welcome change from Tuborg... 

Indeed, but I was a Hoosier kid back when I drank Little Kings - that was before graduating to Moosehead. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Indeed, but I was a Hoosier kid back when I drank Little Kings - that was before graduating to Moosehead. 

Little Kings is brewed by the Cincinnati Beverage Company (CinBev) which also produces Christian Moerlein, Hudepol and Burger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Little Kings is brewed by the Cincinnati Beverage Company (CinBev) which also produces Christian Moerlein, Hudepol and Burger.

I remember my Dad getting a Hudepol at old Crosley Field once...

He didn't get a second one... Not up to his Falls City standards at the time I guess...