Beer/Alcohol Thread

On 6/4/2022 at 10:52 AM, Reacher said:

A trip down memory lane... 

"14 Discontinued Beers You'll Never Drink Again" https://www.mashed.com/883993/discontinued-beers-youll-never-drink-again/

One of my all time favorites was O’Fallons Kite Tail, a really nice summer beer. They replaced it with Summer Daze, which is still good, but not even close to Kite Tail. Wasn’t a fruity beer or too heavy with Hops, just a good even beer that was delicious. 

O’Fallon is dead to me now! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got to try some new beers in CA. 

I liked this can, beer was OK. 

20220627_063357.thumb.jpg.90516df25f210d42d3d1391c94c9a74f.jpg

Firestone Walker 805 is apparently popular out there. Again it was just ok. 

Liked a few from Alvagorado in Monterey. 

Also stopped at Dust Bowl Brewing for lunch and had tacos from a taco truck along with this beer-20220703_120409.thumb.jpg.8e43165319a650fcc3e4d81a91a4038e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bringing the beer thread back to page 1.

I went to SW MI last weekend for a few days of beaches and Beer. 

First stop was Saugatuck Brewery. Have been there before. Good food and beer but nothing outstanding. Always crowded. 

Next up was the Mitten. Due to Venetian night, it was hard to find parking. They have 3-4 tables inside but a nice outdoor area. Only serve pizza. Beer was good. 

The Big Lake Brewery in Holland was our favorite. Nice outdoor patio, good beer, food and service. 

Lastly, we hit Ghost Isle on our way home. Had a short wait. Average food and drink. Next time I'll go to Church Brewing a block down. I see they added some outdoor seating. 

SW MI is perfect for a weekend pub crawl. Lots to choose from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Bringing the beer thread back to page 1.

I went to SW MI last weekend for a few days of beaches and Beer. 

First stop was Saugatuck Brewery. Have been there before. Good food and beer but nothing outstanding. Always crowded. 

Next up was the Mitten. Due to Venetian night, it was hard to find parking. They have 3-4 tables inside but a nice outdoor area. Only serve pizza. Beer was good. 

The Big Lake Brewery in Holland was our favorite. Nice outdoor patio, good beer, food and service. 

Lastly, we hit Ghost Isle on our way home. Had a short wait. Average food and drink. Next time I'll go to Church Brewing a block down. I see they added some outdoor seating. 

SW MI is perfect for a weekend pub crawl. Lots to choose from. 

You missed Transient again?!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

20 Beers you need to stock up on

According to chefs and bartenders

I recently had Boss Tweed, the imperial big brother of M-43. Would recommend. I think in general I prefer the flavor balance of a DIPA over an IPA.

Lots of standards in that list, some obvious choices you can get anywhere. I don't know how many people are going to make regular trips to Vermont to keep their fridge stocked with Heady Topper, though. 😂

If I were to make my own additions, I'd mention Cigar City's Jai Alai and Rhinegeist's Truth. Both are available almost everywhere here in Indy, at least, and are extremely solid.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I recently had Boss Tweed, the imperial big brother of M-43. Would recommend. I think in general I prefer the flavor balance of a DIPA over an IPA.

Lots of standards in that list, some obvious choices you can get anywhere. I don't know how many people are going to make regular trips to Vermont to keep their fridge stocked with Heady Topper, though. 😂

If I were to make my own additions, I'd mention Cigar City's Jai Alai and Rhinegeist's Truth. Both are available almost everywhere here in Indy, at least, and are extremely solid.

I have like three AMAZING beer shops in walking distance here and two of them stock a lot of Heady Topper. You would almost think you were in Vermont with the selection. 

That said, nothing it like Vermont where some of the gas stations have beer caves stocked with the good stuff. First time I visited there (Foam, Frost, Zero Gravity) I was shocked at the selection at two gas stations we stopped at. 

I’ve got to the point lately, where I focus more on West Coast IPAs. I’ve become so sick of thick IPAs that taste more like OJ than beer.<—- I’m looking at you Other Half Brewing…

I’ll order Jai Alai and Sculpin if I see them on the list when I’m out. Those two are always solid. 

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Some good ones in there - Heady Topper and Sip of Sunshine are staple beers here in our household. I like Lagunitas, but feel like their quality has went down in the last few years. 

I was going to say that was probably for bartenders on the east coast. You can’t get Heady Topper around here. 

And I can’t understand why people like voodoo ranger. 🤮 it always tastes old and stale.

……but that’s just me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I have like three AMAZING beer shops in walking distance here and two of them stock a lot of Heady Topper. You would almost think you were in Vermont with the selection. 

That said, nothing it like Vermont where some of the gas stations have beer caves stocked with the good stuff. First time I visited there (Foam, Frost, Zero Gravity) I was shocked at the selection at two gas stations we stopped at. 

I’ve got to the point lately, where I focus more on West Coast IPAs. I’ve become so sick of thick IPAs that taste more like OJ than beer.<—- I’m looking at you Other Half Brewing…

I’ll order Jai Alai and Sculpin if I see them on the list when I’m out. Those two are always solid. 

Where are you at, so I can stop by for a beer run?

My family has a condo in Killington, though it's been a few years since I've gotten up there to vacation. We would keep the fridge stocked with Long Trail. I had Heady Topper once, though there was another IPA the bartender recommended that I liked better. Wish I could remember the name...

I'm with you, I much prefer West Coast style IPAs over the East Coast style that's oversaturated the market. If I'm ordering an IPA, give me a big, bold, piney hop bite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Where are you at, so I can stop by for a beer run?

My family has a condo in Killington, though it's been a few years since I've gotten up there to vacation. We would keep the fridge stocked with Long Trail. I had Heady Topper once, though there was another IPA the bartender recommended that I liked better. Wish I could remember the name...

I'm with you, I much prefer West Coast style IPAs over the East Coast style that's oversaturated the market. If I'm ordering an IPA, give me a big, bold, piney hop bite. 

We are in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn and always open to an IU Hoosiers fan visit! Yep, our tastes sound similar - I like a big bright, piney IPA, not a thick, overly fruity one. Unfortunately, the tastes are STILL trending to the hazy, thick IPAs that don’t even taste like beer. I often steer towards a lower ABV lager or pilsner that still understands what beer should taste like. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I was going to say that was probably for bartenders on the east coast. You can’t get Heady Topper around here. 

And I can’t understand why people like voodoo ranger. 🤮 it always tastes old and stale.

……but that’s just me. 

Voodoo Ranger is grocery store beer. Not all grocery store beer is bad, but this in one of them that’s definitely lower tier. I had someone leave a six-pack for us after staying in our place for a weekend. I drank a couple of them, but they are not my style at all. High ABV, but kind of blergh taste.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Brother @Drroogh, I tried to find the Texas favorite, Pinthouse Pizza's Electric Jellyfish IPA, but no joy locally, although Spec's said they carry it "when they can get it." 

There's a Pinthouse Pizza in Round Rock, so next time I go see my daughter, I'll give er a whirl...

image.png.10af036eaed13fe21a2965225941c9f0.png

Normally in the Food thread, you say you can think of better. Hopefully you’ll agree on this one! Give you a reason to visit your daughter more often. Did you ever get to visit Choong Man?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Normally in the Food thread, you say you can think of better. Hopefully you’ll agree on this one! Give you a reason to visit your daughter more often. Did you ever get to visit Choong Man?

Not yet...Every time we go over to the west side of Houston my wife wants to go to Songkran (Thai Food), Maggiano's, or Musaafer (Indian Food)...Might have to take the work crew on an "off site" meeting there :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took a weekend trip up to N MI last weekend. Tried a lot of beer. :cheers:

Went to Petoskey Brewing and liked that place. They are located in 100+ year old building that was originally a brewery. 

Beards Brewery had a nice view of Little Traverse Bay. 

Stopped at Right Brain in Traverse city and got a couple cases to bring home. My wife loves their Chubby Squirrel Spiced Amber Ale. 

Had lunch and a beer at Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor.

Went to Ludington Bay Brewing  as last time in town I had went JamestownBrewing.

Lastly, went to Silver Harbor Brewing in St Joe. 

Had a great time. The fall colors weren't yet popping but had plenty of great food, beer and sights.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I took a weekend trip up to N MI last weekend. Tried a lot of beer. :cheers:

Went to Petoskey Brewing and liked that place. They are located in 100+ year old building that was originally a brewery. 

Beards Brewery had a nice view of Little Traverse Bay. 

Stopped at Right Brain in Traverse city and got a couple cases to bring home. My wife loves their Chubby Squirrel Spiced Amber Ale. 

Had lunch and a beer at Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor.

Went to Ludington Bay Brewing  as last time in town I had went JamestownBrewing.

Lastly, went to Silver Harbor Brewing in St Joe. 

Had a great time. The fall colors weren't yet popping but had plenty of great food, beer and sights.

We hit the wineries on the Leelanau Peninsula. Lots to choose from!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

My son in law (who is one of my favorite people) has started bottling Habanero Wine...Here's his setup... 

IMG_5651.thumb.jpg.b02117e51b1c37d0b34af13b15fb8370.jpg

He said you can drink it, but it's very spicy... Good for cooking though... 

Wow...I could use that as a base in some soups or even spicy crockpots. That looks awesome!!

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

My son in law (who is one of my favorite people) has started bottling Habanero Wine...Here's his setup... 

IMG_5651.thumb.jpg.b02117e51b1c37d0b34af13b15fb8370.jpg

He said you can drink it, but it's very spicy... Good for cooking though... 

did you see in the link I posted this morning pepper X? Now considered the hottest pepper, considerably hotter than the Reaper? Thought of you and your SIL when I saw that.

• Like 1