Ballou/Alabama

bryan200088

Maybe this means he wants to see if Glass will match the offer he got from Alabama before he decides?  Or any one of 20 other guesses too, but I like that one better than some of the others.  I would be surprised if he doesn't leave.  Tough to say no to Alabama football.

https://www.si.com/.amp-indiana/college/indiana/football/david-ballou-leaving-indiana-for-alabama?__twitter_impression=true

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

From what i read this could be a huge loss...ripple effect  will be felt for awhile...🤦‍♂️

Most of our other openings I have had confidence that we would find a similar or better replacement, but I think Ballou and Rhea are among the best in the country at any level.  They were offered jobs by NFL teams last offseason, and now have been offered by the best football program in the country.  They will be tough to replace if they do go.

I have confidence we'll find someone good, but there are few, if any replacements at their level.  If they do go, hopefully we can get someone who can pick up where they left off and use a lot of the things Ballou and Rhea were able to put in place.

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we just need to accept that IU football is a stepping stone job for a lot of coaches.

it's just part of the game.  being good means our top talent will get poached until/unless we're consistently in the top 25.  we're starting to approach the awkward "good but not good enough to stick around forever" territory.

I don't know if it is official or not, but from everything I am seeing, they're both gone.  I wonder if we'll hire from within or from outside.  We have some qualified guys behind Ballou and Rhea that I would be fine to see taking over.  I'm guessing they learned a lot from those 2 guys the last few years.

21 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Is it irrational to say that this makes me feel just a little nervous about the trajectory of the program? Not losing a coach but just I felt the strength and Conditioning program we had was really helping the on field results and was attracting recruits a ton

No it is not irrational.  We are a program on the rise.  Alabama, frickin ALABAMA is poaching our assistant coaches. What does that tell us. Open up the pocketbooks.  PAY what they deserve. Money talks.

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

No it is not irrational.  We are a program on the rise.  Alabama, frickin ALABAMA is poaching our assistant coaches. What does that tell us. Open up the pocketbooks.  PAY what they deserve. Money talks.

It doesn’t matter who it is on the coaching staff for ANY team. That person or people responsible for dramatic and positive changes to a program is gonna get noticed and then all kinds of bones!!!! Yes, we are a program on the rise. People around the nation are catching wind. Until we consistently win games, including bowl games as well as competing for BIGTEN championships, then coaches will not want to leave. Besides, by then we should be able to pay better salaries to our coaches. It’s simple, win games, IU makes more money.

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One benefit of being one of the youngest teams in college football last year is we have 2 years or so of key guys being in the program. Buys us some time until we can regroup with some of these coaching losses.

The only ones I really count as losses are DeBoer and Ballou/Rhea.  I think we've upgraded our coaching at DL, safeties, and special teams.  That actually might have been the 3 weakest groups last year compared to expectations.  And we got a really good TE coach to replace Sheridan there.

It is kind of weird.  We lost a ton this offseason (DeBoer, Ballou/Rhea, 3 other coaches, Ramsey, Cronk, maybe Hendershot), and I'm still pumped for the season to start.

34 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Ballou confirmed gone

I am sure Rhea will be with him.  Hopefully IU has an understudy or two that can maintain the same level

I looked through our other strength coaches, and we have some guys who have a lot more experience than I expected.  I'd be fine with Danison, Clapp, Constantine or any combination of those guys taking over.

If it's an internal hire, hopefully Ballou and Rhea were good leaders that developed their assistants as well as their players.   How much did they delegate and allow the other strength coaches to lead and grow?  If the systems are there, replacement should be feasible. If it's an outside hire, who knows?

Scott Cochran: Former Alabama strength coach Scott Cochran took a $45,000 per year pay cut to move to Georgia per John Talty of AL.com. At Bama, Cochran made $595,000 per year. Talty reports he will make $550,000 at Georgia. Interesting….

Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose. But much like some of our "transfers" have been odd, I would say a S/C coach leaving Alabama for a pay cut is also odd. 

Well, so much for my thinking that we might hire from within.  I think Danison is the only guy left.  At this point, I'd be really surprised if we didn't bring someone in as the main guy.  A lot of these guys work in groups, so it might be tough to have Danison take over and try to hire 4 people under him.  I think we'd have a much better shot of doing something like Alabama did with our guys where they hired the main guy and they brought their guys with them.  I kind of wonder if we had already planned that and Constantine and Clapp leaving was a mutual thing?

Archived