Any news on the AD search

IU Scott

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reynolds is probably really busy this week with Bradley in the tournament so it will be hard for him to interview this week.  also if they were just going to stay the status quoi with Dolson then why not just appoint him instead of going through the process.  Not saying it won't be him but with them doing other interviews I think there is a chance they will go outside for the hire..

Reynolds shouldn't be any busier.  Not much planning he can do with regard to the tournament until Sunday.   If he is interested and IU says come today and talk I can't see him saying "I'm busy".

I have my fingers crossed it is him.  He's the perfect fit.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Football, Womens Basketball are all in as good of a spot as they've ever been in and were all ranked this past season. All with fairly young coaches. Indoor track and field was top 15 in the country. Swimming and Diving is still doing very, very well. Women's were ranked 22nd the last time I checked, and Men's are ranked 4th. 

Volleyball and Wrestling are the rise, as well. I know nothing about Tennis, Golf, CC, Water Polo, and Field Hockey. 

The facility improvements are BIG time. So crummy? Please explain... 

I think Glass has been mostly very good but apparently the men's basketball program not getting better fast enough for some is reason enough to label Glass a failure.

About the only thing I can recall that looks bad on Glass's part was turning down hosting an NIT game, although I understand why he made that decision...Crean and quite possibly his players were going to get booed at home.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Glass has been mostly very good but apparently the men's basketball program not getting better fast enough for some is reason enough to label Glass a failure.

About the only thing I can recall that looks bad on Glass's part was turning down hosting an NIT game, although I understand why he made that decision...Crean and quite possibly his players were going to get booed at home.

If that's the worst part about his tenure, I would say it's pretty successful. I love where our overall sports program is at. Obviously I want the basketball to be better, but it's a process. I think we're a top 25 team next year. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Football, Womens Basketball are all in as good of a spot as they've ever been in and were all ranked this past season. All with fairly young coaches. Indoor track and field was top 15 in the country. Swimming and Diving is still doing very, very well. Women's were ranked 22nd the last time I checked, and Men's are ranked 4th. 

Volleyball and Wrestling are the rise, as well. I know nothing about Tennis, Golf, CC, Water Polo, and Field Hockey. 

The facility improvements are BIG time. So crummy? Please explain... 

There is only one sport that matters at IU.  Fred has been an epic failure in that regard.   Unless the football program starts going to BCS games the basketball team had better be elite.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reynolds is probably really busy this week with Bradley in the tournament so it will be hard for him to interview this week.  also if they were just going to stay the status quoi with Dolson then why not just appoint him instead of going through the process.  Not saying it won't be him but with them doing other interviews I think there is a chance they will go outside for the hire..

Most colleges typically don't operate that way. They are lumbering bureaucracies that like to appoint committees to do any major employment searches, even if they have a favored internal candidate. Partly a "shared governance" philosophy where multiple parties get input and also a CYA component.

I have connections to a college that did a President search. They formed a committee, hired a search firm and went through the whole process. One of the candidates, who was ultimately hired, was a member of the Board of Trustees. It's who the Board wanted all along, but they still paid the search firm and went through the whole charade.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If that's the worst part about his tenure, I would say it's pretty successful. I love where our overall sports program is at. Obviously I want the basketball to be better, but it's a process. I think we're a top 25 team next year. 

When I read about the Purdue clause in Morin's contract made me think Glass has been pretty shrewd in a lot of things.  IU has done a lot worse for ADs.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

There is only one sport that matters at IU.  Fred has been an epic failure in that regard.   Unless the football program starts going to BCS games the basketball team had better be elite.

Maybe that is the only one that matters to you but an athletic directors job is to over see the overall sports programs.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I have connections to a college that did a President search. They formed a committee, hired a search firm and went through the whole process. One of the candidates, who was ultimately hired, was a member of the Board of Trustees. It's who the Board wanted all along, but they still paid the search firm and went through the whole charade.

Ughh...that sounds so...IU.  I hope it's not caretaker Dolson but you can almost see it coming...

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What was the clause

$10 mm buyout if she went to her alma mater Purdue. Apparently he felt burned by Versyp and did not want a repeat.  I'm sure Purdue would love to hire Morin based on how Versyp has struggled but it would cost them dearly.  Fred has been a pretty good judge of coaching acumen, IMO.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Fred has been a pretty good judge of coaching acumen, IMO.

And I think that will be proven out with CAM if he's allowed a full chance to succeed...regardless of what some people on this forum think of his coaching chops...

I think he's Tony Bennett with an attitude...

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Went to the other site to see if they had any updates on the AD search and saw you started a new thread.  and this is what you said

Anyone have anything to share? The other site is saying Dolson, Reynolds, and Kraft are interviewing. Dolson appears to be the clear favorite as he's a yes man and a Fred clone. Also Fred has apparently been a raving success as an AD as the women's rowing and tennis teams are doing well. That's all that matters here apparently

So my question is that after reading the post on here you came away with this thought.

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Went to the other site to see if they had any updates on the AD search and saw you started a new thread.  and this is what you said

Anyone have anything to share? The other site is saying Dolson, Reynolds, and Kraft are interviewing. Dolson appears to be the clear favorite as he's a yes man and a Fred clone. Also Fred has apparently been a raving success as an AD as the women's rowing and tennis teams are doing well. That's all that matters here apparently

So my question is that after reading the post on here you came away with this thought.

I thought you never visited the Rivals board.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I do only when there could be news and go to the front page to see if their reporters are reporting anything.  I looked in the board to see anything about the AD news and saw you post.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Btown and others think Fred has been good.  Everything I've heard since Fred announced his retirement was that Dolson is the clear frontrunner and who the administration wants.  The only hurdle being the boosters. 

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Btown and others think Fred has been good.  Everything I've heard since Fred announced his retirement was that Dolson is the clear frontrunner and who the administration wants.  The only hurdle being the boosters. 

Well you made it sound like you heard Dolson was the front runner by what was being said on here.  I also think Glass has done very good job as AD and most rational poster who does not have an agenda against him does as well.

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I actually said I knew nothing about the tennis and I didn't mention rowing once. I still can't get over the fact you think basketball is all that matters. Do you not watch other sports? 

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I actually said I knew nothing about the tennis and I didn't mention rowing once. I still can't get over the fact you think basketball is all that matters. Do you not watch other sports? 

:snack:

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think it is all that matters but think of it this way, you get hired as the CEO of Sears.  That is the brand name.  Now Sears has several smaller companies they own.  You could be successful running those lesser companies but if you run Sears into the ground or Sears itself goes under on your watch, you failed as the CEO of Sears.

That was Fred Glass to me.  Basketball and football to a lesser degree are what drive money to all of the other sports.  Nobody is paying extra for BTN to watch swimming.  So I don't think you can be a successful AD without those 2 programs being successful at a school like IU.  Under Glass, football was a bit of a trend up, but not enough to account for the big trend down of the b-ball program.  So I judge him on that.

All the facilities upgrades I give him very little credit for. That was mostly Jim Delaney with the BTN and the University lifting the restriction on naming buildings after donors.

Archived