Any news on the AD search

IU Scott

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm with you there except for a couple of small dissents...

1. Crean was probably the best coach IU was going to get, given the state of the program at that point.  He's not a bad coach...just not one that would take over a top program unless it was in the tank.
  2. I'm more optimistic on Miller than you are from the sound of things.  Sure, it's not a finished product, but I like the direction he's headed and other than Sampson, I think he's the best tactician IU has hired since Knight.

Agree on #2 completely disagree on #1.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Actually, I am anxious and waiting for published reports later this week.  One thing I am always reluctant about in terms of letting out info I get, is that it either does not turn  the way I was told. Or does not happen at all. So please don't criticize me if an announcement does not come this week. But I am expecting an announcement, sooner than later.

I know, and your stuff is reliable.  Its fluid and always moving.  Reynolds is a statement on so many levels.  

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If Bradley is pushing, then it means one simple thing. IU has to pay up.  Bradley is a fine school, but there should be no comparison here.  

Agreed.  Sounds like a near done deal which I'm fine with.  I wanted Kraft who I'm told is a pit bull and doesn't put up with crap from anyone.   The administration clearly wanted Dolson but not the boosters.  Sounds like Reynolds was the compromise candidate and that's fine.  He should do well.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I agree that Archie is the future.  He's a ball coach.  He was a stud as a player even at his size and ability, IU shows in game improvments and gets better at the end of season.  Only negative this season has been scoring droughts.  Then again, that is hard when you don't have a consistent alpha and your point guard is restricted in practice.  Its a game changer next year with the change in roster.  You got to have the players to play the type of style IU does.  MSU struggled with the same style with Langford out and with some stud stills playing.  

Next year is a big year.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I know, and your stuff is reliable.  Its fluid and always moving.  Reynolds is a statement on so many levels.  

If it is Reynolds, what happens to Dolson? Does he leave? It seems he has worked his whole career for this moment. My understanding is that he has been instrumental in a lot of what Glass has done. Which is why I’ve pretty much assumed he would get it, that seems to be the way the IU administration does things.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Agreed.  Sounds like a near done deal which I'm fine with.  I wanted Kraft who I'm told is a pit bull and doesn't put up with crap from anyone.   The administration clearly wanted Dolson but not the boosters.  Sounds like Reynolds was the compromise candidate and that's fine.  He should do well.

Reynolds is a winner and one that can think with his heart and brain and operate that way.  Coaches, good ones, do not want to work for an AD that is always in your face and has to be involved.  Not knowing anything about Kraft, it sounds like he would be that by your description.  I probably am off, but pit bull reminds me of that.

Reynolds would help with winning, hiring, recruiting, alumni, etc.  He gets it and has the background to navigate any situation.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yep. I know for a fact.  Based on what I was told from a UNC fan at the time. Who actually had an interaction with one candidate at the time.  That IU initially reached out to others before reaching out to Coach Crean. 

3 minutes ago, SteveS said:

If it is Reynolds, what happens to Dolson? Does he leave? It seems he has worked his whole career for this moment. My understanding is that he has been instrumental in a lot of what Glass has done. Which is why I’ve pretty much assumed he would get it, that seems to be the way the IU administration does things.

He is in a very good role as is and could have a long success career in it.  If anything, Reynolds was the one being groomed and sometimes you have to leave to come back.  It brings a new fresh perspective while understanding historical perspective.

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Reynolds is a winner and one that can think with his heart and brain and operate that way.  Coaches, good ones, do not want to work for an AD that is always in your face and has to be involved.  Not knowing anything about Kraft, it sounds like he would be that by your description.  I probably am off, but pit bull reminds me of that.

Reynolds would help with winning, hiring, recruiting, alumni, etc.  He gets it and has the background to navigate any situation.

No doubt in my my that Reynolds  is Hoosier Sports Nation's  favorite candidate to get the job.  Gonna say this. Though I posted earlier, not to let the cat out of the bag. I have since been told it is ok to report to Hoosier Sports Nation, that Reynold's  is one of two last remaining candidates.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

TrustInRoy? 😉

Yep. And at a time when we were still friends and sharing information. TIR shared with me the evening he had dinner with a candidate that IU had reached out to at the time.

Good memory. Thanks for following HSN all these years.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No doubt in my my that Reynolds  is Hoosier Sports Nation's  favorite candidate to get the job.  Gonna say this. Though I posted earlier, not to let the cat out of the bag. I have since been told it is ok to report to Hoosier Sports Nation, that Reynold's  is one of two last remaining candidates.

Now you have to let us know if the other is internal or external--  ha :)

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Bradley.  Working hard to keep Reynolds.  Kind of letting the cat out of the bag. A little bit. But not a done deal yet.

I wonder what they could offer to entice him to stay.  They don't have the budget or football at Bradley so it would be hard to keep him.  I know he grew up in Peoria so that could be in their favor but he did graduate from IU as well.

31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. I know for a fact.  Based on what I was told from a UNC fan at the time. Who actually had an interaction with one candidate at the time.  That IU initially reached out to others before reaching out to Coach Crean. 

I thought the day before or even the day they announced Crean as coach that it was reported that Lon Kreuger was going to be the coach.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought the day before or even the day they announced Crean as coach that it was reported that Lon Kreuger was going to be the coach.

That's what I remember, was hearing it was Krueger right up until the official announcement it was TC.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

2 outright B1G titles and 3 Sweet Sixteens in 5 years. Nothing wrong with that. 

I think Crean was a good hire at the time and yes he did bring a certain level of success that was very much needed. I think the biggest failing of him, was that the IU fan base has a particular product type (brand) on and off the floor that they want to see. I believe he had some of it, the wins helped but they way we lost (and even sometimes won) was a -1.25 multiplier. He is a great person, loves humanity and the kids and those can't be taken away from him. He's just a little "quirky" for what the majority of the fan base (Indiana high school coaches too) wants to see.

He was a great intermediary to fix the Sampson hire (which made me not watch IU for his entire tenure) damage. Yes he (Sampson) can coach but he is slime (in my eyes), well below what IU fan's want to see. I will always be thankful to CTC, but just like a first serious girlfriend, you move on. CAM will bring #6.

5 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think Crean was a good hire at the time and yes he did bring a certain level of success that was very much needed. I think the biggest failing of him, was that the IU fan base has a particular product type (brand) on and off the floor that they want to see. I believe he had some of it, the wins helped but they way we lost (and even sometimes won) was a -1.25 multiplier. He is a great person, loves humanity and the kids and those can't be taken away from him. He's just a little "quirky" for what the majority of the fan base (Indiana high school coaches too) wants to see.

He was a great intermediary to fix the Sampson hire (which made me not watch IU for his entire tenure) damage. Yes he (Sampson) can coach but he is slime (in my eyes), well below what IU fan's want to see. I will always be thankful to CTC, but just like a first serious girlfriend, you move on. CAM will bring #6.

YOU got it and get it.

3 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

He was a great intermediary to fix the Sampson hire (which made me not watch IU for his entire tenure) damage. Yes he (Sampson) can coach but he is slime (in my eyes), well below what IU fan's want to see.

When Sampson was announced, I told friends it was a huge mistake.  Then Eric Gordon changed his mind and went to IU, so I decided to give Kelvin a chance.  By his 2nd season, I literally quit watching.  Aside from Gordon, I just didn't like most of his players...they didn't seem like high-character kids (and we later found out they mostly weren't).  I didn't care if they were winning...I just didn't like them and I really didn't know why at the time.  It was only later after Kelvin "resigned" did things come out and I figured out what it was that I couldn't quite put my finger on.  If IU put another crooked coach in place that recruited players that didn't go to class and failed drug tests, I'd quit watching again.  They just weren't fun to watch.  Liked DJ & EJ, but they couldn't quite overcome the overall bad team culture that cost IU some good kids who could play (see Zeller, Tyler).

46 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Sampson put a black mark on our history... for which I will never forgive him for it.

Archived