Any news on the AD search

IU Scott

Two things turned me off with Glass.  The first was how he handled the football coaching situation with Wilson.  That was a black eye to the program and was not handled in a timely manner.   The second(actually this is a couple things) was his decision to give CTC a crazy extension.   Did he actually think another school would offer more money to steal him away?  Then once again he handled the firing poorly.  And the thing that most got me pissed off was his decision to not have the NIT game at home.   What a slap in the face to all the players on that team.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think it is all that matters but think of it this way, you get hired as the CEO of Sears.  That is the brand name.  Now Sears has several smaller companies they own.  You could be successful running those lesser companies but if you run Sears into the ground or Sears itself goes under on your watch, you failed as the CEO of Sears.

That was Fred Glass to me.  Basketball and football to a lesser degree are what drive money to all of the other sports.  Nobody is paying extra for BTN to watch swimming.  So I don't think you can be a successful AD without those 2 programs being successful at a school like IU.  Under Glass, football was a bit of a trend up, but not enough to account for the big trend down of the b-ball program.  So I judge him on that.

All the facilities upgrades I give him very little credit for. That was mostly Jim Delaney with the BTN and the University lifting the restriction on naming buildings after donors.

It's like you've been the President for 4 or 8 years.  When you leave office you've done all these amazing things on foreign policy, healthcare, immigration, education, etc.  However, unemployment is at 9% and the stock market has completely cratered under your administration.  What is your job approval rate going to look like?

48 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Two things turned me off with Glass.  The first was how he handled the football coaching situation with Wilson.  That was a black eye to the program and was not handled in a timely manner.   The second(actually this is a couple things) was his decision to give CTC a crazy extension.   Did he actually think another school would offer more money to steal him away?  Then once again he handled the firing poorly.  And the thing that most got me pissed off was his decision to not have the NIT game at home.   What a slap in the face to all the players on that team.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Well. Not sure if you know the in's and out's of the Wilson thing.  And you may be talking about the player abuse.  Which I can totally agree with you.

However, it goes back to long before then.  From the day Wilson arrived on campus. IU put him up in a suite at McNutt.  He came back drunk.  Abused students.  So... that was the first indication there was a problem.  Had a sit down with Mr. Glass and our President. They convinced Coach Wilson to agree to go to classes. Which he did. And it seemed to be working out.  Till the night Wilson was picked up by the Indiana State Police... for DUI !   Mr. Glass got a call from the Bloomington station, in the middle of the night.  And the police agreed not to press charges, so long as Coach Wilson agreed to continue his rehab.  Which, once again he did, and was well on his way to rehab. Before Coach Wilson started abusing his players.

Mr. Glass stuck his neck out for Coach Wilson. On more than one time. Not saying what Coach Wilson did while his time at IU was justified. Rather that Mr. Glass did everything he could to protect and help Coach Wilson.  In the end.... it was three strikes and you are OUT.  Coach Wilson seems to have gotten his act together at Ohio State. And that's not to say he did not carry some baggage with him. 

In the end. It was proper to let Coach Wilson go, IMHO.

Oh, and I totally agree with you on the NIT thing.

I have outlined the good and the bad with Glass before. Also had issues with other sports around injuries and not protecting athletes like rowing.  Still not sure I like how the thing with women’s basketball Coach Miller went down either.  I also knew all about the Wilson stuff Mile outlined already and some other things.

But Mile does bring up a good point that with Wilson and Curt Miller that he addressed the issue and likely saved the university face in the process.  That is important to note.

6 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I have outlined the good and the bad with Glass before. Also had issues with other sports around injuries and not protecting athletes like rowing.  Still not sure I like how the thing with women’s basketball Coach Miller went down either.  I also knew all about the Wilson stuff Mile outlined already and some other things.

But Mile does bring up a good point that with Wilson and Curt Miller that he addressed the issue and likely saved the university face in the process.  That is important to note.

Thank you.  I was not even thinking about Curt Miller.  Yet you do raise a good point.   Mr. Glass has done his best to save the face of IU over the years, as far as I am concerned.

52 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

I know that there were some on the Varsity Club during the search that led to hiring Wilson who were pushing for a defensive guy over an offensive coordinator too. Whether CTC should have received the extension is one thing, but I think that was more of Glass rewarding than preventing someone to steal him

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well. Not sure if you know the in's and out's of the Wilson thing.  And you may be talking about the player abuse.  Which I can totally agree with you.

However, it goes back to long before then.  From the day Wilson arrived on campus. IU put him up in a suite at McNutt.  He came back drunk.  Abused students.  So... that was the first indication there was a problem.  Had a sit down with Mr. Glass and our President. They convinced Coach Wilson to agree to go to classes. Which he did. And it seemed to be working out.  Till the night Wilson was picked up by the Indiana State Police... for DUI !   Mr. Glass got a call from the Bloomington station, in the middle of the night.  And the police agreed not to press charges, so long as Coach Wilson agreed to continue his rehab.  Which, once again he did, and was well on his way to rehab. Before Coach Wilson started abusing his players.

Mr. Glass stuck his neck out for Coach Wilson. On more than one time. Not saying what Coach Wilson did while his time at IU was justified. Rather that Mr. Glass did everything he could to protect and help Coach Wilson.  In the end.... it was three strikes and you are OUT.  Coach Wilson seems to have gotten his act together at Ohio State. And that's not to say he did not carry some baggage with him. 

In the end. It was proper to let Coach Wilson go, IMHO.

Oh, and I totally agree with you on the NIT thing.

Oh I do remember the other incidents with Wilson.  I guess you could say  Fred did a good job keeping that out of the news.  I suppose that its admirable that he gave him chances/help as well.  Although you could argue that Wilson should have been fired with the 1st offense.  

But yea my beef was more about the player abuse that happened.

Go Hoosiers!!!

13 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Oh I do remember the other incidents with Wilson.  I guess you could say  Fred did a good job keeping that out of the news.  I suppose that its admirable that he gave him chances/help as well.  Although you could argue that Wilson should have been fired with the 1st offense.  

But yea my beef was more about the player abuse that happened.

Go Hoosiers!!!

OSU doesn't have a problem with it  :coffee:

16 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's like you've been the President for 4 or 8 years.  When you leave office you've done all these amazing things on foreign policy, healthcare, immigration, education, etc.  However, unemployment is at 9% and the stock market has completely cratered under your administration.  What is your job approval rate going to look like?

You just care more about basketball than I do. Football and baseball, I care as much or more about those than I do basketball. 

16 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

There was no black eye with the Wilson thing, at all. Like no one that's not an Indiana fan even thinks about it. There are programs in the B1G with black eyes, IU is not one of them. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

You just care more about basketball than I do. Football and baseball, I care as much or more about those than I do basketball. 

Even though I love basketball more than the other sports, I know that the AD's job is to over see every sport that is on campus.

16 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Depends on if you are Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump...what you ran on. People have different priorities. So in ending the political narrative..with Glass some people look at all aspects of Indiana athletics and how they have risen and some take a narrow/single minded focus on athletics (men's basketball). Just to save an argument I really am not taking sides. Considering how well the other sports have faired I'd like the next AD to continue the work Glass has been doing in raising the expectations across the board...however I do think our flagship program should get special attention and yes would want to see us take more opportunities to build up the Men's basketball.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There was no black eye with the Wilson thing, at all. Like no one that's not an Indiana fan even thinks about it. There are programs in the B1G with black eyes, IU is not one of them. 

Of course there are schools with programs that have done much worse.  But that doesn't make the things that Wilson did and was allowed to do under Glass's watch any better.  Player abuse was happening under his watch.  And  Glass knew.  I'm not okay with that.   Pretty sure the national media reported on it when Wilson was fired right before the bowl game.   To say only  IU fans knew/thought about it at the time is incorrect.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Of course there are schools with programs that have done much worse.  But that doesn't make the things that Wilson did and was allowed to do under Glass's watch any better.  Player abuse was happening under his watch.  And  Glass knew.  I'm not okay with that.   Pretty sure the national media reported on it when Wilson was fired right before the bowl game.   To say only  IU fans knew/thought about it at the time is incorrect.

Go Hoosiers!!!

They don't talk about it now. That would be a black eye, some mistakes, sure. Black eye? No way. 

We gave Wilson some chances, he blew them, we fired him. Nothing wrong with the way it was handled. 

Even with the modest success under Crean and the disappointing results (thus far) under Miller, I wouldn't say Glass has done a bad job with the basketball program. Crean might have been the right guy for the situation if not long-term and Miller was a solid hire.

My only two complaints would be the failure to perform a real coaching search after Wilson and imposing roster/recruit constraints on CAM (-if- actually true).

Overall, I think his tenure has been successful if not spectacular.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

They don't talk about it now. That would be a black eye, some mistakes, sure. Black eye? No way. 

We gave Wilson some chances, he blew them, we fired him. Nothing wrong with the way it was handled. 

Okay that's your definition of a black eye then.  Still doesn't change my mind toward how Glass dealt with him or how he dealt with CTC.  

I realize other sports have done well under his watch and that's great.  But like others have said football and basketball is what matters most in a Power 5 conference.   I liked the Sears comparison IUCrazy made.  And to go off that comparison say I was a store manager.  I'm responsible for the total sales of the store.   Some departments bring in way more profit than others.  So while it's great that some departments are doing well...if my big departments aren't running right and are down in sales my total sales will be down. And my ass would be on the line.

Go Hoosiers!!!

22 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Okay that's your definition of a black eye then.  Still doesn't change my mind toward how Glass dealt with him or how he dealt with CTC.  

I realize other sports have done well under his watch and that's great.  But like others have said football and basketball is what matters most in a Power 5 conference.   I liked the Sears comparison IUCrazy made.  And to go off that comparison say I was a store manager.  I'm responsible for the total sales of the store.   Some departments bring in way more profit than others.  So while it's great that some departments are doing well...if my big departments aren't running right and are down in sales my total sales will be down. And my ass would be on the line.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Football is running terrifically. 

So confused

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Football is running terrifically. 

So confused

Not sure if I'd call finally earning a bowl bid and losing "terrific" but yes it's better.  

Done here.  You love Glass and I can't wait until he's gone. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

11 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Not sure if I'd call finally earning a bowl bid and losing "terrific" but yes it's better.  

Done here.  You love Glass and I can't wait until he's gone. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

It just doesn't add up to why you don't like him. Do you like anyone in your personal life if that's all it takes for you to not like someone? 

Like scale of 1-10.. he's probably an 8.5 at least. We could do wayyyyy worse and I hope we don't. 

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

My only two complaints would be the failure to perform a real coaching search after Wilson and imposing roster/recruit constraints on CAM (-if- actually true).

Overall, I think his tenure has been successful if not spectacular.

I agree this was a common concern at that time (could IU get a more qualified HC). However, we are coming off of one of the best years in football program history with legitimate positive recruiting momentum. Plus I love Coach Allen’s passion for coaching in his home state!

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It just doesn't add up to why you don't like him. Do you like anyone in your personal life if that's all it takes for you to not like someone? 

Like scale of 1-10.. he's probably an 8.5 at least. We could do wayyyyy worse and I hope we don't. 

Lol Funny.  I'm beginning to think you are Fred.

As an AD I don't like him.  Has nothing to do if I liked him as a person.  I don't agree with decisions he's made(and I pointed them out).  Nothing personal.  Would be the same thing if I had to fire someone I liked at work for not performing.

And yes you're correct we could do worse.  We could also do a lot better.  Chris Reynolds would be a huge upgrade.

Go Hoosiers!!!

19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Till the night Wilson was picked up by the Indiana State Police... for DUI !   Mr. Glass got a call from the Bloomington station, in the middle of the night.  And the police agreed not to press charges, so long as Coach Wilson agreed to continue his rehab.  

If this is true (not doubting you specifically)......What a joke.
If any of us were busted for DUI do you think the State Police would call our bosses to ask if they should prosecute us or let us go if we promised to do better? It’s no wonder that some in the athletic community feel a sense of entitlement. They feel that way because it is true. He should have been treated like any “regular” citizen.

9 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Lol Funny.  I'm beginning to think you are Fred.

As an AD I don't like him.  Has nothing to do if I liked him as a person.  I don't agree with decisions he's made(and I pointed them out).  Nothing personal.  Would be the same thing if I had to fire someone I liked at work for not performing.

And yes you're correct we could do worse.  We could also do a lot better.  Chris Reynolds would be a huge upgrade.

Go Hoosiers!!!

We have no idea that he would be an upgrade, at this juncture. 

4 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

If this is true (not doubting you specifically)......What a joke.
If any of us were busted for DUI do you think the State Police would call our bosses to ask if they should prosecute us or let us go if we promised to do better? It’s no wonder that some in the athletic community feel a sense of entitlement. They feel that way because it is true. He should have been treated like any “regular” citizen.

I like Reynolds or Kraft but how do we know they will be a huge upgrade.  Can you tell us who the AD's are of all the top programs in the country and what their qualifications are.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have no idea that he would be an upgrade, at this juncture. 

My opinion vs yours. 

It's just like any new coach or manager you always hope you're upgrading with the new hire.  Reynolds has the resume of what could be an outstanding AD for us.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived