Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

How should that have been a tripping call at the end?  Honest question.  He didn’t go out of his way to trip him at all.  He ran up to guard and Rob took a step forward into his leg.  That call is never going to be made.

Disagree.  That is called as a tripping violation repeatedly in most games I watch.  If you have your leg extended and the offensive player trips over it, that is a foul on the defender.

Say it was not a trip.  Then we tied up the ball (possession ours), we took the ball from the guy on the ground as the "timeout" was called (again possession ours), and the Illinois player never had control of the ball to be able to call timeout.  So even without the foul, at worst it should have been our ball out of bounds, down 2, with a chance to basically take the last shot.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Could you imagine the comedy of errors throughout a season if the Big Ten released last two minute officiating reports like the NBA does? 

Can you say WWE or whatever it's called now? It's so embarrassing. Right now DJ and his crew are in their rentals driving down the road and headed to next game. Zero accountability from conference or refs. 

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Just went back and watched, the “trip” looks much different on instant replay.  Still can’t fault them for not making that call.  But it should’ve been our ball regardless, since it should’ve been a jump ball.  

Here is my position on that.  The refs clearly knew they had blown the Durham call because they had reviewed it for possession.  In a situation like that,, the next 50/50 call should have gone IU's way.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

BTW, it gets tiresome when fans/posters overreact to a loss like this ans claim it ruins the season.  

I'm actually more encouraged for this final stretch now. I saw real poise and play today. Few bad turnovers sure. Couple missed shots sure....but I see a team that is learning how to compete and nothing brings more happiness to my belly when I see our guys finally getting the we can do this moment. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

Here is my position on that.  The refs clearly knew they had blown the Durham call because they had reviewed it for possession.  In a situation like that,, the next 50/50 call should have gone IU's way.

Absolutely. All 5 in the final 2 minutes went against us. You would think we would at least get that one. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I'm actually more encouraged for this final stretch now. I saw real poise and play today. Few bad turnovers sure. Couple missed shots sure....but I see a team that is learning how to compete and nothing brings more happiness to my belly when I see our guys finally getting the we can do this moment. 

Totally agree because a few weeks ago we would have wilted when we got down 8 in the second half

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Disagree.  That is called as a tripping violation repeatedly in most games I watch.  If you have your leg extended and the offensive player trips over it, that is a foul on the defender.

Say it was not a trip.  Then we tied up the ball (possession ours), we took the ball from the guy on the ground as the "timeout" was called (again possession ours), and the Illinois player never had control of the ball to be able to call timeout.  So even without the foul, at worst it should have been our ball out of bounds, down 2, with a chance to basically take the last shot.

All day long. Pretty easy. At the very least we would have the ball down 2 with 13 to go I believe. 

I was glad to see the team show up today and compete. It was a welcome change from most of the road games this year. Hopefully the effort @ MN hangs over some more.

Two big things for me were:

1. ILL defense tried to deny us getting the ball at essentially any position. Lots of fronting our players. And we let them. Didn't pick up our cutting speed, or coming to the ball. But our defense didn't start until the ILL player had the ball in his hands except for Rob's (who was trying to deny his guy) and whoever defended Cockburn. Maybe that's the purpose of the pack-line, but makes me scratch my head in wonder.
  2. Our offense still looks "mechanical". It doesn't flow. There is no rhythm IMO. Maybe that's why we have 5+ minutes each game of scoring droughts.

And as an aside, I thought Green played "team ball" today. Not good Devonte, or bad Devonte, just team Devonte. Sure he made some mistakes, but they were aggressive mistakes. Durham has really disappointed me in the last 4-5 games with his sloppy ball handling, and patented lazy passes. But other than that, we had a chance to win at the end, and any number of things could have happened pro or con to change the outcome.

We just need to quit "competing" and start "dominating" from the start, instead of digging ourselves constantly out of a hole.

All I can say we are close in about all phases of the game!! Nice to see us compete on the ROAD! It would been nice to get a call at the end! Things going into tourney time looks good for IU!!! We may not be top net but the eye test is looking better. Get rid of the scoring exit for 5 +min. And we are there!

I’m often accused of being overly optimistic, and don’t get me wrong I wanted a win in the worst possible way, but this game doesn’t really bother me too much. If we come out with this same effort this upcoming week I think we blow Minnesota out of the water and beat Wisconsin as well. Heres how I see it breaking down, tell me your thoughts.

1. Beat Minnesota, lose to Wisconsin, lose in BTT opener=squarely on the bubble. We would have better wins then anyone but our metrics suck and lack of road wins hurts too.

2. Lose to Minnesota, beat Wisconsin, lose in BTT opener=same position but slightly stronger.

3. Beat Minnesota and Wisconsin, safely in and off the bubble. Playing for seeding in the BTT.

I’m only listing these three possibilities because let’s face it, we never win in the BTT so we might as well write it off(only 40% kidding).

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

I love blaming the ref for the loss. How about lack of ability to do something foundational like I don’t know, hit free throws??’ Gimme a break with blaming the refs. I can point out 10 stupid mistakes that would have easily negated a couple of bad calls. Should have never been in that position. NCAA? Are you kidding me? What’s the point? Get knocked out first game again? Come on. 

We win one more game and will be in the tournament and that is a good thing.  Why do some get so upset over an outcome of the game where they come to a message board and make fools of themselves.

2 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

It had been a while, but I actually got fired up watching this one. They brought the fight. This is the energy we have to bring ...

111E23FD-494B-49CD-A33C-3839827C6A67.jpeg

Epitome of Williams trash. Same official who ate it twice in the final 30 was eating it there. 

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

I love blaming the ref for the loss. How about lack of ability to do something foundational like I don’t know, hit free throws??’ Gimme a break with blaming the refs. I can point out 10 stupid mistakes that would have easily negated a couple of bad calls. Should have never been in that position. NCAA? Are you kidding me? What’s the point? Get knocked out first game again? Come on. 

I believe those were our only two misses of th he day.  Tell me the last time a college team was perfect.  The missed calls cost us a potential 5 points, not even counting the potential flagrant for the elbow.

Seriously.  If you don't want to be a fan, don't be a fan.  

5 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

It had been a while, but I actually got fired up watching this one. They brought the fight. This is the energy we have to bring. That smile says it all. “Meet me after the game”

111E23FD-494B-49CD-A33C-3839827C6A67.jpeg

That was all one sided.  Williams lost his mind and Rob did nothing wrong in terms of out of play aggression. 

I have seen guys get Teed up for a lot less.  It was warranted here IMO. 

Archived