Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

Am I happy that we are in the situation we are 18-11 and 8-10, no but I am happy that I can see this team going in the right direction.  I can see some of the key younger players getting better and they will be the key players for the future.  I think if those players work their butts off this summer and they live in the gym this team can be a lot better next year.  I am hoping that if some of the things we here about friction on this team that might be taken care of this off season.  I also really like the attitude and mindset of the recruits we have coming in next year and they bring some things this team needs.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would say that we’re just as likely to lose two out of the next three games as we are to win two of the next three.  And that could very well be the difference between making the tourney and missing it.  It’s gonna be down to the wire.

I would think it depends on who we lose to that would influence if we can make it with just one more win.  If we beat Minnesota and lose to UW and lose to a NW then we will be in trouble.  If we still get the 10 seed and lose to say OSU in the first game then I think we will still get in with one more 1.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would say that we’re just as likely to lose two out of the next three games as we are to win two of the next three.  And that could very well be the difference between making the tourney and missing it.  It’s gonna be down to the wire.

I see it as 100 percent chance with 2 or more wins, 50 percent with 1 win, 10 percent or less with 3 losses in a row.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt we will be playing Purdue in the first game unless one of us is the 12 and the other is 13 which I don't see happening/

When I typed it, the OSU/Michigan was still going on.  If OSU would have lost, there was a scenario where Rutgers would be the 11 seed, OSU the 10 seed, IU the 9 seed, and Purdue the 8 seed.  IU and Purdue would have played each other in that scenario.

18 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

This was a good performance.   Just highlights how hard it is to win conference road games and how unfortunate the Maryland loss is.  Also there have been a lot of fringe teams like Texas and Providence making pushes so need 2 more wins to feel 100 percent confident of NCAA bid

Absolutely that’s my thoughts exactly. We need both home wins. Wisconsin is a bad matchup for us. Senior day or not, I’m not super confident but it’s a MUST win. Win both it’s hard to keep us out win both plus 1 in the BTT we will definitely be in. I hope I’m wrong and they wipe the floor with Wisconsin...

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Actually, even if we lose only 1 of the next 2, we will be be the 11 seed in the BTT (lose tie-breaker to Rutgers).  As a result, we are playing either Nebraska or Northwestern on Day 1 of the BTT.  So essentially, you are saying, at a minimum, we lose a home game to Minnesota, or a neutral game to Nebraska or Northwestern.  You truly don't believe that scenario is 'just as likely as not' do you?

We were playing well. 12.28 left in the game. Miller subs in 4 new players. Immediately we commit two turnovers and don't score a field goal for 9 minutes. That is why we lost this game. I can also name a few other times in this game and others where a player will just be getting into a good offensive rhythm and out they come? I guess this is the Indiana version of Miller time? He sure as hell didn't coach like that at Dayton. Must be the players bill of rights? Not sure just makes no sense. Really really  Stupid!

When you have been down for so long as IU has, you have to re learn how to be a winner. From AD to walk-on. They all need to learn.There is such a psychology to being a perennial winner. We are all so happy to have Hoosier-Grown players, yet we don’t realize that a whole generation has grown up without seeing IU being a winner. Learning how to make plays at the end of these kind of games. Understanding how important each possession is. All of us, myself included, have taken our past glories for granted. Since the RMK days, the rest of the Big Ten has caught up. This game and the Maryland game are the ones that hurt the most, but also the ones we learn from the most. I think I have seen a change. We still have layed some eggs. Which have been baffling and very frustrating, ( Purdue X 2, Michigan) but they are getting fewer and further between. I see CAM starting the second half with a more effective line up. I see growth in Jerome, ( still needs to pick it up on the defensive end), craving the ball and wanting to stick the big shot. I see Rob rounding into form. I think we’d all agree we have seen real glimpses this year of what these kids COULD be, but THEY have to see it. That’s why it’s so hard to see the big picture and understand we still aren’t that good [this year], but that things COULD be falling into place just how they need to be. Even if it is not this year. I truly think the corner is being turned in front of our eyes. The Lander commitment has given me hope. Can we be patient? Can CAM learn how to finish what he started? Remains to be fully seen, but I think we are trending up. Caveat: this is assuming the same effort will be there the rest of the way. Go IU!

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

I feel in my heart of hearts that Archie really “gets it”. This team isn’t ready yet to be great but there’s improvement throughout the season. It’s so refreshing to see a team improve going into March instead of peaking in January. I think we’ll have a top 25 team next year and we’ll be even better after that. 

This is really important to me, so often during Creans tenure we would playing our best ball during January, with the team looking wore down in March. I appreciate seeing Archie’s teams playing better towards the end of the year.

4 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

When you have been down for so long as IU has, you have to re learn how to be a winner. From AD to walk-on. They all need to learn.There is such a psychology to being a perennial winner. We are all so happy to have Hoosier-Grown players, yet we don’t realize that a whole generation has grown up without seeing IU being a winner. Learning how to make plays at the end of these kind of games. Understanding how important each possession is. All of us, myself included, have taken our past glories for granted. Since the RMK days, the rest of the Big Ten has caught up. This game and the Maryland game are the ones that hurt the most, but also the ones we learn from the most. I think I have seen a change. We still have layed some eggs. Which have been baffling and very frustrating, ( Purdue X 2, Michigan) but they are getting fewer and further between. I see CAM starting the second half with a more effective line up. I see growth in Jerome, ( still needs to pick it up on the defensive end), craving the ball and wanting to stick the big shot. I see Rob rounding into form. I think we’d all agree we have seen real glimpses this year of what these kids COULD be, but THEY have to see it. That’s why it’s so hard to see the big picture and understand we still aren’t that good [this year], but that things COULD be falling into place just how they need to be. Even if it is not this year. I truly think the corner is being turned in front of our eyes. The Lander commitment has given me hope. Can we be patient? Can CAM learn how to finish what he started? Remains to be fully seen, but I think we are trending up. Caveat: this is assuming the same effort will be there the rest of the way. Go IU!

This could well be the case. There has definitely been some progress, but guys like Phinisee, TJD, and Hunter all have to push it to another level, as you say. This summer, as another recent post suggested, is going to be crucial. Locking down a NCAA bid this year would do wonders as a learning experience and momentum creator going into this offseason.

36 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

We were playing well. 12.28 left in the game. Miller subs in 4 new players. Immediately we commit two turnovers and don't score a field goal for 9 minutes. That is why we lost this game. I can also name a few other times in this game and others where a player will just be getting into a good offensive rhythm and out they come? I guess this is the Indiana version of Miller time? He sure as hell didn't coach like that at Dayton. Must be the players bill of rights? Not sure just makes no sense. Really really  Stupid!

I feel the exact same way!! These players make a few shots and maybe start gaining some confidence and BOOM...out they come....kills all momentum!! Why why why????

47 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Not sure if this was an autoquote setup for multiple platforms.....1228 the guys got a quick breather. Why so hard to understand our bigs playing vs a guy who is so big and they might need a rest? I love Hoosier fans of all types but some of the complaints are really 2nd grade level. I said 3rd earlier which is why I say 2nd now. 

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Actually, even if we lose only 1 of the next 2, we will be be the 11 seed in the BTT (lose tie-breaker to Rutgers).  As a result, we are playing either Nebraska or Northwestern on Day 1 of the BTT.  So essentially, you are saying, at a minimum, we lose a home game to Minnesota, or a neutral game to Nebraska or Northwestern.  You truly don't believe that scenario is 'just as likely as not' do you?

I’m expecting them to beat Minny and lose to Wisconsin.  And at that point, I don’t think IU is a lock against any team in the BTT, even Nebraska/Northwestern.  They absolutely should be able to win a game in the BTT, but who knows.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m expecting them to beat Minny and lose to Wisconsin.  And at that point, I don’t think IU is a lock against any team in the BTT, even Nebraska/Northwestern.  They absolutely should be able to win a game in the BTT, but who knows.

I'm soooo ready for some legit program momentum. Not related to today's game, I was proud of the effort/performance, but just in general as an IU fan I'm so ready for some legit momentum. It just feels likes it's always two steps forward, then one step back, then one step forward and two steps back and it's just a brutal cycle. I'm talking about the last 20 years.

IU has played better the last 3 weeks, Archie has made some adjustments, we've beaten some good teams, and we got a commitment from Lander. But, we've also lost 2 to Purdue, didn't show up at Michigan, and lost a tough one today. Can we please, just this once win these last two home games and then win 2 in the BTT and go into March Madness as a team being talked about that his hitting their stride? 

Can we please head into the offseason as a hot team, with a reclassifying Lander coming and TJD coming back and be thought of as a team to watch this offseason. I feel like as IU fans we've earned this. And to be honest, I want this for Archie too!

4 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

When officiating is the excuse for losing, you are already muffed.  I will never blame officiating for a loss, you take the game in your own hands you don’t let one or two bad calls decide the game.

...one or two bad calls?!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'm not sure there could be any stronger proof that you're just a troll that doesn't understand basketball.

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I can’t get CAM’s post game interview to play. Can somebody summarize it for me? Did he make any snarky remarks about the poor officiating at the end of the game?

Nope, sidestepped the questions about the end of game officiating saying he hadn’t seen the tape yet.

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I can’t get CAM’s post game interview to play. Can somebody summarize it for me? Did he make any snarky remarks about the poor officiating at the end of the game?

He didn't say anything about the officiating, even when he was asked about the trip on Rob...

"I didn't see it. Have to look at the tape."

But he DID say something to the effect of you can't give a shit about anything else but competing at this time of year. You have to have a short memory and move on...and, yes, he did use the word "shit" in the presser...

3 hours ago, H00sier said:

This is really important to me, so often during Creans tenure we would playing our best ball during January, with the team looking wore down in March. I appreciate seeing Archie’s teams playing better towards the end of the year.

The refs sucked. The Big Ten should use some of that network cash to pony up for full time refs. These guys are an embarrassment.

We definitely look better and are playing much harder

Race’s long-term prospects continue to be better than I anticipated 

At some point Archie’s towards the end of the year record/play, as you reference, “is what it is”. We are 3-7 in our last ten and 2-3 in our last five. Guess that’s progress these days.

Win the next two home games and we 100% get to hear our name called on selection Sunday.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm soooo ready for some legit program momentum. Not related to today's game, I was proud of the effort/performance, but just in general as an IU fan I'm so ready for some legit momentum. It just feels likes it's always two steps forward, then one step back, then one step forward and two steps back and it's just a brutal cycle. I'm talking about the last 20 years.

IU has played better the last 3 weeks, Archie has made some adjustments, we've beaten some good teams, and we got a commitment from Lander. But, we've also lost 2 to Purdue, didn't show up at Michigan, and lost a tough one today. Can we please, just this once win these last two home games and then win 2 in the BTT and go into March Madness as a team being talked about that his hitting their stride? 

Can we please head into the offseason as a hot team, with a reclassifying Lander coming and TJD coming back and be thought of as a team to watch this offseason. I feel like as IU fans we've earned this. And to be honest, I want this for Archie too!

Pretty much how I feel. 2 absolutely massive games for IU and the program this week!! If us fans what it so bad we need to show out this week and really push the team. Both games have me nervous because honestly you just never know with this bunch. Playing really good ball lately though. I feel like we are entering a huge crossroads here...Please IU for once breakthrough!! Don’t wanna get my hopes up been let down to much over the past years. But if we finish the year strong and have that momentum I think we can sign a really good 2021 class and set ourselves up for a lot of winning down the road... can’t state enough how big of a finish this is for the program. 

10 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

What’s the feeling from everybody.. will 19 wins get us in? I fell like 19 will have us squarely on the bubble. 20 and we are a lock. 

I agree with you.

19 wins I think we are a bubble team at 9-11 in the conference with a NET probably in the mid-50’s. We might be at the mercy of wether or not a surprising number of underdogs win their conference tourneys.

We are a shoo-in with 20 wins and 10-10 in conference. 

Archived